Author Topic: Mice and mystics  (Read 6946 times)

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
Mice and mystics
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Mice and mystics

While waiting for Myth to be ready, I'm tempted to get this game. Have you tried it? What did you think?

I like the fact that it's coop, story driven, and, having a young daughter ( very young), I think I'll be able to play it with her in a few years.
Acolyte - Keeping the Faith since 2015

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Re: Mice and mystics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
I haven't played it, but that game was given as the biggest comparison to MYTH when the KS was going.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »
I haven't played it, but I researched it quite a bit.  From what I've gathered, it seems comparable to other dungeon crawl games, but with a MUCH heavier focus on the story-telling aspect, rather than lots of hard-core strategy.  It can still please the avid gamer, but it's simple enough to introduce to kids.

Titeman

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
I enjoy it as does my 6 year old son...

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »
That's great. I figure I can use this game and the great storyline to introduce my daughter to board games in a few years, and then, if she likes it, show her a huge box filled with cool looking minis... MYTH!

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »
Also, in my gaming group, we're mostly playing Descent 2nd ed right now, and the problem we have with it is that the heroes keep destroying the overlord quest after quest, so it's hard on the moral of whoever is the overlord for that campaign. I hope the M&M can do a good job of a strategic coop dungeon crawl while we wait for Myth.

Amongst those who own it, what's your experience with a hardcore gaming group (or whatever you call your group that will play Myth)?

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »
I've found that's generally the problem with Descent. If only 2 players are the heroes it's slanted toward the overlord. If it's 3 or more heroes it's slanted toward them. Really wished they would have fixed this.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
Yeah, we're playing 4 vs 1, so it's very much in the heroes favor. On the campaign we've just started, we play that all minions have hit points, defense dice and attack dice of masters... So far, 1 win each side. Time will tell if this is a good workaround

DoberFrann

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Iron Man
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
I just found out about this game! Now I want it, but my wallet is crying so bad!
I wanna live my life in a fairy tale, where the end is always good and never sad.

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
It is a very good game and the minis are also awesome. It is very very text heavy and it is story driven so you act out the story chapter by chapter and you can take a few items with you from chapter to the next.

My kids love it but it still a bit complex. Make sure you read the story first before starting the game because it takes to long for them to keep lisening for the story and they just want to play.

A nice intro and explanation from plathatgames http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ytmBjB6bY

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
One extra investment I'd recommend, especially if playing with young ones.

A professional voice actor recorded all of the text sections on MP3's.  It saves a lot of reading, and seemed to catch my 4 year old's attention every time I played a section.  All funds from selling this support item goes to charity, which is an added bonus.

From my side, I also bought a 2nd set of all of the miniatures, and primered one set.  That let me easily identify elites vs non-elites. 

Really well done game.  Really straightforward.  My favorite game for young kids now.  Coop means I don't have to beat them down.  The story is engaging.  And the mechanics are simple enough for even a 4 year old to manage.

----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
One extra investment I'd recommend, especially if playing with young ones.

A professional voice actor recorded all of the text sections on MP3's.  It saves a lot of reading, and seemed to catch my 4 year old's attention every time I played a section.  All funds from selling this support item goes to charity, which is an added bonus.

From my side, I also bought a 2nd set of all of the miniatures, and primered one set.  That let me easily identify elites vs non-elites. 

Really well done game.  Really straightforward.  My favorite game for young kids now.  Coop means I don't have to beat them down.  The story is engaging.  And the mechanics are simple enough for even a 4 year old to manage.

That's why I was interested in the game, but my daughter is not 1 yet... so I'm still wondering if it's worth buying now, or if I wait and hope something as good or better comes out in about 3-4 years.

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »
I ddin't play it as much yet still stuck figuring it out.

But I can say it is such a great game I think it just worth it to buy it now and wait a bit until your kid is around 5-6 and play a bit your self for now. And start painting already.

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
I haven't seen the actual minis, but I'm not impressed by the pictures I've seen. I don't think I would actually paint them. Maybe the mice, they looked good, but the monsters...

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 03:47:29 AM »

They paint up very nicely (with my skill level not that high just yet). I still need to do 3-4 mice and all of the rats but I like it :)  The minis have a lot of nice details but it is still boardgame quality (very good quality that is)  but most of the rats and other monsters you can add a few highlights and a drybrush and it looks much better.