Author Topic: Heroquest anyone?  (Read 10353 times)

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
Heroquest anyone?
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
I just read this on the lead adventure forum and thought people here would be really interested.
I know I am.

A personal dream come true for me. This is what got me into the hobby at the start of the 1990s:

- Spanish company GameZone will create a new heroquest 25th aniversary edition.
- They have distribution rights to Spain but not to other countries, but they will release the game in multiple languages and there are plenty of spanish online shops with worldwide shipment.
- They may use a crowdfunding campaign but it's not confirmed.
- There will be initially four heroes in male and female versions.
- Furniture and tokens will be all in 3D (resin) instead of cardboard.
- The board will be reversible (two in one).
- There won't be fimirs, but there will be equivalent reptilian creatures.
- It won't be overly expensive (in line with Descent V2).

http://www.heroquest.es/index.php?topic=8728.60

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Re: Heroquest anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »
That is exciting news.  I found Myth originally through a Heroquest fansite (yeoldinn.com.)

There are a few mechanics that can be improved on for long term balance, but that was a nice clean game for mechanics, which is why I still love the original.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »
I don't think (for me) it will compare to the original purely for nostalgia reasons. But I'm sure the minis will look nice and if the game mechanics are the same I'll be looking forward to giving it a go in a few years when my son understands how to play.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
I'm quite surprised they would have the right to make this sort of thing.  Games Workshop did most of the original (and was published under Milton Bradley), but then Games Workshop made the sequel: Advanced HeroQuest, then years later made Warhammer Quest, which is the spiritual successor...and the logical progression of what HeroQuest would have been if they simply called it HeroQuest 3.  HeroQuest's story even took place in the Warhammer world.  Those who weren't aware of Warhammer at that time just didn't realize it.

How in the world would somebody have gotten those right from Games Workshop???  They are notoriously stingy with IP laws and copyright.

skolo

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-2
  • finish the sentence: "no its a ...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
maybe it will drop ridiculous heroquest prices on ebay :)

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
As it's based out of Spain I'm wondering if the copyright laws are different or somehow not covered. I don't know much about copyright so have no idea.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:48 AM »
Kickstarter is due to start on the 22nd of November, right around time for buying Xmas presents for the family that have no interest in this stuff... Luckily the kids presses are all sorted (my wife shops year round to find good gifts on sale)... Anyway. 22nd November.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 03:06:10 AM »
I have very fond memories of heroquest, as it's the game that started it all for me.
However, having played it quite recently, it really wasn't quite up to my gaming groups need anymore.
We have fun with it, but jokingly call it swatquest, because, as long as the heroes co-operate and plan their turn, the bad guy doesn't stand a chance.
It really is aimed at younger players who are more likely to try and get al the treasure first.

It was one of the reasons myth was so atractive; being a game that requires co-operation and doesn't have one player that's having less fun, because he's mainly providing cannon fodder for the heroes.

If they adapt the rules it might be interesting. Updating it to make it more balanced for mature gamers, but not changing it beyond recognition.
The models.... now that might be interesting. Gamezone makes cools stuff.
I might pick up a box for fimirs, mummies and stuff.
I plan to play a game of heroquest with my eldest son in about a year or so and am allready updating the models.

No kickstarter for me though.
I'm planning to spend al my money on monday  ::)
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:21:14 AM »
I don't think they are doing fimir, but they are swapping in something fimir like, GW still owns copyright for fimir. I hope they do basic rules for kids and the advanced rules for the nostalgic lot. The minis will be cool I imagine, as you said, gamezone do cool minis.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 04:36:26 AM »
Fimirs would be the Drrakks mentioned here, I assume

http://www.heroquestclassic.com/inside-the-box/

I talked it over with the missus yesterday. If the offer is interesting we might be able to find a way to finance this. Heroquest happens to be the miniature game she enjoys most, mainly because it isn't to highbrow. She's not the rulesnut I am.
Really curious what friday is going to bring us.

Looking through my old rulebooks I see I would need 3 more drrakks and 4 more mummies (though looking through the actual adventures I only need 2 more) to get to play my old game and expansions (assuming I'll still use the models I have currently painted as updates for orcs, zombies etc. I'm still looking for suitable replacements for fimirs, mummies and chaos warriors). The problem with the new HQ would be offcourse it would be in english. I'll still have to  play the origional with my boys the first coming years.
I'm actually getting excited about this.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:46:11 AM by The Voivod »
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

skolo

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-2
  • finish the sentence: "no its a ...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
count me in. I`ll be there on Friday :)

Covert-Ops

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
I never played this game when it was out.  I guess I was too busy being a metal head.  Anyway, is it worth it now that I have great games like Descent 2.0 and Myth coming as well as S.o.B down the road?  is it co-op?

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »
The original rules were for kids basically. Hopefully they will do a revamp with new and old rules.
All those miniatures look great. I like the idea of the petrified gargoyle and live one. Also an ogre in the box too. Can't wait to see their stretch goals. I may be spending lots on this. Goodbye savings!

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 03:09:05 AM »
Should be starting very soon. No early birds too which suits me to the ground.

Warsong

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
is this ks live yet?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment