Author Topic: Heroquest anyone?  (Read 10355 times)

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
Re: Heroquest anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
Nope, nothing so far.
I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that they are waiting for approval from kickstarter.

edit;
they are now advertising on Beasts of War. Only information there is: Coming Soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:17:53 AM by The Voivod »
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
Isn't it ridiculous that they announced a start date without getting confirmation?

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »
Second campaign I've heard of that happening with in the last month.  (Shadows of Brimstone had the same problem.)
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
Knocked over a few stretch goals already.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25th-anniversary

I hope this is going to be big.
Is it December 2014 yet?

Maawdawg

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • IGC
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
I still have my original box (well used) sitting on my shelf, my friends and I actually did a campaign run through of it about a year and a half ago to introduce some people to board/tabletop gaming. We then moved them on to Descent 2.0 and other stuff. If I didn't have the original I would be much more tempted by this KS. I could still end up jumping in depending on how good the stretch goals end up.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
I have the origional as well and several expansions.
Think I'll give this a pass.

all hail our lord and master....foamy.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
i still have the original, and all of its European expansions. and i love it to bits! its a long held dream of mine that one day, when they are old enough, my brother and i will sit down with our kids and play it with them. im keeping all my original sets in mint condition until that day.
im keeping a close eye on this one, some of the stretch goals seem a little bit lacklustre to me, nothing really jumping out and making me think WOW!, still i think it has potential. theres still 30 days to go so i will decide closer to d-day.
its a new version of an old favourite, it has already caused a lot of controversy on yeoldeinn.com's forums, some people see it as blasphemy, I cant see why, i don't see how it can ever detract from the classic game. at worst it could be a source of great new models, alternative boards, new spells, new heroes, etc etc. at best it could really add to an already brilliant game system.
The old heroquest has and always will have a very special place in my heart as one of my fondest childhood memories. this game cant ever replace that. it could very well find a special place in my wallet were some cash used to be though! :p

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:56 PM »
I've been discussing on yeoldinn with this, since it seems the most appropriate place.  I think there are some legit concerns about this one, so it's a wait and see right now.

Of course early in brimstone, that was a wait and see too.  Myth was even a wait and see for me for a couple days...up until they put up videos.
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

Floob

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 04:18:18 AM »
Legit concerns? There shouldn't be much for what i've read, isn't it? GameZone bought the spanish rights direclty from Hasbro, and Canadian rights aren't possessed by anyone, so selling and shipping from Spain is totally legit ;) But well, i'd say the most important questions for me at the moment are the rules, i'd like to know how much genuine they're gonna be, or at least a peek on the most important changes/innovations ^^.

Endevor

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
With the answer about alpha/beta rules i am really not sure they will show us anything before the end, sadly.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
Legit concerns? There shouldn't be much for what i've read, isn't it? GameZone bought the spanish rights direclty from Hasbro, and Canadian rights aren't possessed by anyone, so selling and shipping from Spain is totally legit ;) But well, i'd say the most important questions for me at the moment are the rules, i'd like to know how much genuine they're gonna be, or at least a peek on the most important changes/innovations ^^.

Actually, that isn't what happened at all.  Gamezone didn't buy anything from Hasbro.  Hasbro evidently let the trademark for the name heroquest lapse in the country of spain (but still has it maintained all around the world.  Not sure why the Madrid accords didn't apply here.)  Games workshop never owned rights to the game.  Hasbro basically hired them to help build the game and miniatures, and the game is set in the WHFB universe.

So basically, what Gamezone own is the rights to sell a game called Heroquest, as long as they only sell it from within Spain.  This is why they can't work out international shipping.  (They say it's due to shipping times that they couldn't ship pallates to distribute in the US, but it's because they'd get shut down so fast it isn't funny.

1) You get a name called heroquest.
2) They don't really have rights to the mechanics, so they will be changed to avoid Hasbro issues.
3) They don't have rights to the setting, so they will be putting it in a brand new universe that GW can't sue them for.  (For example, that's why they can't use Fimirs.)

If a C&D does happen, the easiest resolution will be to change the name of the game.  So you'll have a 25th anniversary game that isn't called heroquest, doesn't play like heroquest, and isn't set in the same universe as heroquest. 
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

Floob

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Well, seems like Hasbro just bare its fangs...

Edit: Seems like it wasn't Hasbro, but Moon Design, for the USA.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:36:17 PM by Floob »

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:48 PM »
Not Hasbro, moon games or something like that. They had the rights in the USA which is why I imagine the game had different expansions to the uk version.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
Oops, didn't see that edit. Sorry.

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 06:44:31 AM »
actually moon just has a game called heroquest which has nothing to do with the original boardgame