Author Topic: Who else was attracted to this game from Super Dungeon Explore?  (Read 12431 times)

eternaldream

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I'm a long time miniatures gamer, and I've dabbled in many different games.  I consider myself more of a hobbyist than a gamer though.  I love to paint my figures, make terrain, etc.  I've tried playing some mainstream games like Warhammer, but they weren't very fun for me.  I think what it comes down to is I HATE HATE HATE measuring with a tape measure.  I would much rather the game take place on a grid or hexes.  I loved Heroscape was well, but my new favorite is Super Dungeon Explore.  I am a fan of anime and video game RPGs, and the art style is just brilliant!  The models are just so cute and full of character.  The rules aren't bad either.

The only problem I have with Super Dungeon Explore is its lack of a solitaire variant.  I actually play by myself a lot, but that just means I play both sides.  I've been trying in vain to find a system for skirmish level solitaire play for years.  The only other option I've found with enough support was Warhammer Quest.  There are a ton of pdfs of the rules and extras floating around the net.  I wanted to recreate it with my own boards, models, and cards.  Unfortunately it turned out to be too much work.  To be honest, the game wasn't too deep either.  It was just a cycle of entering a room, finding monsters, rolling dice, and repeat. 

Someone mentioned Myth on the SDE forums on boardgamegeek, so I looked into it.  I managed to find it 2 days before the kickstarter ended, and got a $25 pledge in (which I plan to up to $100 once I can do Paypal).  I'm most interested in the rules.  I would like to have a game that is completely solitaire without being too predictable.  From the videos, it looks like each kind of monster will have its own kind of AI that determines what it will do.  I have a few questions and concerns, but that will have to wait until I see the rulebook.  The miniatures just look okay to me.  Then again, there aren't many to look at.  If anything, I'm just dreading painting the hundreds of them I will need.

When I first read about the rules and such, I thought about creating a Super Dungeon Explore variant.  To be honest, both games are similar.  They both have modular tiles, hordes of minions, and spawning points.  Until I see the rules, that is what I'm planning to do.  But hey, I might fall in love with the game how it is when it is release.  Anyone else here a fan of Super Dungeon Explore?

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: Who else was attracted to this game from Super Dungeon Explore?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:46:28 AM »
I was actually going to a game swap with the intent of finding super dungeon explore (someone had posted they would bring it) And wound up with Through the Ages instead :P But hey, that made it easier to back MYTH up ^.^  I think the AI is personalities that break ties, such as prefers to move towards target with the most/least threat, but the darkness card still determines how it moves. I'll still have to wait for the rulebook too of course :P

I also thought the minis looked flat on the homepage, but update 56 really changed my mind, it looked like they were adding a lot more detail so I'm happy. Honestly the more stuff = more potential fantent.
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-1
  • Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: All of em!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
I actually haven't even played SDE. In fact the only thing I've seen about it is the Watch It Played on Youtube. However I didn't see that until after I had already found Myth. So if anything its the opposite for me. I want to play Myth but due to having to wait until January I was looking for something to fill the void. Still haven't gotten SDE so I'm not sure if its an appropriate candidate
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
I'm actually one of the guys who's been a very active member of the SDE community since it was announced a couple years ago.  It's been my gaming group's go-to miniature game during that time.  I think I actually found out about Myth through TableTopGamingNews.  I was quite intrigued, because it looked like it did a lot of the things I've been wishing SDE would have been doing these past couple years (more focus on story, character growth outside of 1 session).

I actually really like the visual style of SDE, but I hate anime with a passion.  It's sort of a weird relationship...but I have very found memories of the video game RPGs growing up, but I detest anime.

Iron Syndicate

• The Typo!
  • Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
  • Ask me about our specials.
    • View Profile
    • ItaiRose.com
  • Hero: Spider-Man
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
I've played SDE once (incidentally, a day after I found out about MYTH). I've heard of it before from Watch It Played, and I liked the fact that it simulates an old school RPG with its terminology and aesthetic. As someone who grew up on Final Fantasy and its ilk, I like the homage.

It does have its issues, as previously mentioned, and it's 1 vs. Many, which I don't enjoy that much. So I'm hoping MYTH will provide all the things I find lacking in SDE.
Typo free since 2015.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
It never caught my fancy, these minis are the farthest I will stretch in cartooniness. The whole big head thing just put me off them. I guess I could always just proxy other minis in though.

hawk

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
I have Super Dungeon Explore and I love it and it's one of the reasons I chose to back Myth, but I didn't find the kickstarter through any SDE-related forum.
something something typo

Z-Ray

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
I have super Dungeon Explore + Caverns of Roxor so I liked what they were doing but as many people have said Myth Being fully Co-op or Solo playable really pushed it above and beyond SDE for me.

The extra immersion of the story quests built into the game means Myth fulfills my urge to play Dungeons and Dragons, Super Dungeon Explore and in a small way Warhammer.

So sadly my SDE will have the painting finished and sold ass I don't see my gaming group playing it when there is the option of playing Myth.

rob stencel

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »
Been playing this with few expansions and descent 2.0 with expansions a lot recently, and like them both.  Like descent a bit better, but the models are nicer in SDE even with the big heads.  Both require a GM or DM type but if have enough people is fun.  Not as much of a fan of the D&D ones, even though they have better mini's, and require a DM/GM.  The play can be adjusted to keep it interesting, which is problem with the D&D series for us.  That's why so excited about Myth, think will fill that hole, and allow us to play when not enough show up to have good SDE/Descent game, and more than likely replace them as our go to dungeon crawler.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »
Not as much of a fan of the D&D ones, even though they have better mini's

Better than what?  If you are referring to the D&D minis being better than the Descent ones, I'd say maybe...but I'd also say they are very comparable.  They both fall into the category of bottom-of-the-barrel crap in terms of miniature quality.  They are the cheap plastic miniatures that are common in boardgames made by companies that don't focus on Miniatures. Also comparable to the many pre-painted miniatures on the market today...which are by all accounts, also complete crap when concerning detail and sculpt quality.

The minis in Super Dungeon Explore are flat out better in terms of sculpt detail execution.  The designs in SDE are more true to the inspired artwork than either of the other 2 games.  I would be happy to concede the point that you may prefer the subjective qualities of the D&D minis over the SDE ones, but the D&D ones aren't even in the same league when discussing technical quality and execution of the concept.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »
Even if I ignore the metal stuff at the Myth GenCon booth (which was all awesome) and focus just on the preproduction plastic stuff (like the Terror with 1000 legs) that happened to be on hand, the detail is still incredible.  I actually spent quite a bit of time examining the few plastics that were out so that I could get an idea of how well the detail holds up live instead of in pictures.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

rob stencel

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
@thetang22 Only say better because they are more to common scale than Descent.  Descent has about 4 different scales of models in same box where the D&D ones seem to be more consistent to scale.  Yes, the actual quality of the miniatures is good in descent though.  So yes you have a good point.

eternaldream

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
I've already started trying to convert the Super Dungeon Explore minions to the Myth kinds.  The only problem with converting the minions is that I will need a lot more than those that come with the base sets.  Watching the videos of gameplay with the two spawners, there were 20 or so Orcs on the first turn.  The SDE models are quite expensive though, as I'd need to buy multiples of the box sets to have enough to go around.  Once I have the game in hand and see the stats and rules, I might scale down the number of minions if I plan to work it into SDE.  So there would be less, but perhaps more powerful or something. 

The only other thing that would be a problem is the variety in minions in SDE compared to Myth.  The minions in SDE all have individual abilities, some of which I don't think could be put into an artificial AI.  For example, the Rocktop turtles have minions that can kick other minions into the heroes (like Super Mario basically).  Without adding any extra lines of text describing when they'd do this, I'm not sure how it would work.  I still have a bunch of ideas in my head which I'll post once the game is officially released.

skolo

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-2
  • finish the sentence: "no its a ...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »
I was trying to convince myself that I want SDE but at the end its very expensive.
I would like to have it and I was looking for cheaper options, but no luck