Author Topic: Card Hunter - surprisingly fun game  (Read 2435 times)

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
Card Hunter - surprisingly fun game
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
I've been looking for a game that's quick to play in short spurts, but still got good "adventure" flavor to it.  I did quite a bit of research for potentials, and I came across something I didn't expect:

http://www.cardhunter.com/

It's a flash-based game that's sort of a funny homage to classic DnD, while also bringing in some mechanics that would feel familiar to Myth (deck building).  It seems to be pretty addicting, and while it does have a cash shop, I've been making progress through the single player campaign without any need for it yet.  Here's a pic of the game (minus all the white text boxes):

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Card Hunter - surprisingly fun game
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
Looks neat, I'll check it out.

I loathe microtransaction games though.  I don't mind grinding a bit to get where I want, or spending a few bucks on a good game... it's lazy game design focused around getting you to pay that I hate.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
I loathe microtransaction games though.  I don't mind grinding a bit to get where I want

From my experiences with it so far, you'll be golden.  I think I'm probably 1/4-1/3 of the way through the single-player campaign, and I haven't required buying anything to proceed.  It's games like this that I don't mind tossing a few bucks at since it isn't required to progress.

There is also multiplayer games, but that's where I think it could become pay-to-win.  I haven't tried that yet though, so it's just a guess.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
It's a pretty good time, and one of those "I need to get back to it someday" things. I was aware of the game during it's development a couple years ago, got into the beta in May of last year, and played it quite a bit.  I haven't played it much since the beta ended and it officially launched, but I should.

The deckbuilding is based on the items that you equip on your character - each item has a set of cards that get added to your deck. A pair of boots might come with 2 movement cards and a dodge card. A club will come with a variety of attacks and whatnot. Armor places reactive cards in the deck that protect you, shields do the same with block cards.

The way the armor, blocking, etc work is pretty ingenious.  Sometimes you have to burn weak attacks before your strong attacks to get through an opponents blocks. Sometimes you have to dip them in acid to get rid of their armor cards.

Some items are cursed and clog your deck up with cards that hurt you, and they are sometimes hard to get rid of.

The scenarios are well done and generally challenging.  It's a pretty good time.

I also have not played the multi-player.  When I played (granted, a year ago), money would get you alternate looks for your characters, a subscription based "club" that gave you an additional treasure after each map clear, and the ability to go in and buy random lottery type treasure chests. That may have changed now, but I will say that it is completely playable without spending any money at all.

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
" I was aware of the game during it's development a couple years ago, got into the beta in May of last year, and played it quite a bit.  I haven't played it much since the beta ended and it officially launched, but I should."

This.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.