Author Topic: Destiny  (Read 4299 times)

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Destiny
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
It's definitely tighter than Borderlands, but without the sense of fun.

Anybody else playing it?  Enjoying it?

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
Re: Destiny
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:12:41 PM »
I'm playing it, for sure (whenever the baby's sleeping).  I feel ya on the Borderlands comment though: to me, it feels almost like the same game.
* The controls are nearly identical.
* The supers are about as useful and balanced.
* You use the shaders to "customize" your character. 
* In the end, he who has the best gun, wins. 
* Raids have to be done with a group.
* It's RPG-lite, with skill trees that deal mainly with cooldown timers and few abilities.
* There's a story buried in there somewhere, but I don't miss it as long as the shiny loot keeps dropping.

Overall, I'm still getting into the groove of playing it, but despite all the internet hate, I'm enjoying it.  My primary Hunter is level 14, so I'm not able to do any of the high-end stuff yet.  But I'm STABBING ALIENS IN THE FACE while I'm free-roaming around an abandoned colony ON VENUS!!!  What's not to like?

...Well, besides the fact that my spaceship doesn't do a damned thing.  I spent about 3,000 glimmer on it, and.  It.  Does.  Nothing.  Differently.  No one likes that part.  Oh, and there's no in-game map that I can see.  Oh!  And there's next-to-no dialogue, so it's like the whole cast consists Peter Dinklage reading lines to an army of mute Links from Legend of Zelda.  But other than that, totes digging the game. 
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

Patrick, The Researcher

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • I am Lord Twinkington
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »
I have a destiny edition ps4 on layaway at work should have it paid off here in the next couple weeks. Hope to get some peoples accounts to play with from here.
I respect but do not fear the murphy bat.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
PSNID: Artisyn
Currently, I'm in a Diablo 3 kind of mood, at least until the engram patch for Destiny gets implemented.  I'm trying to ween myself off of Destiny because I don't want to spend US$35 on 2 expansions.  That's US$5 more than the LEGO Marvel PS4 game, and I'd much rather have that than Destiny expansions that only add raids and missions.  Show me some new planets, Bungie!

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
No planets?  Really?

Will there at least be new landing zones on the existing planets?

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »
I'm not saying that there won't be any planets, just that they haven't shown any new ones yet.  The leaked info came from a bug after patch-before-last, where people saw new raids and strikes on existing planet maps that they didn't "meet the requirements" to access.  What I'm saying is, I'm not committing to US$35 expansions until I see the value, and variations of the same things are not value: they're Call of Duty.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
Well honestly, it's all either fight your way to a point or else defend a point.  Would be interesting to see some tower defense style maps, or some better use of vehicles, or something.  Adding new textures or map layouts is extremely bleh

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
I'd like to see them add different classes.  And no, they're not different already: they're all one class with three different skill trees.  All classes play exactly the same IMO.  I'm with ya on the vehicle thing, though.  You're telling me that all these aliens have vehicles that shoot, and none of the playable races have figured out how to strap a gun to the handlebars of a sparrow yet?  Maybe we deserve to be consumed by The Darkness if we're that dim already!

Unrelated note: I'm never going to finish painting Myth.  I'm about to just grab spraypaint and say, "Heroes are gold, orcs are green, bugs are brown, etc."  At least then I'll be able to play!

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
The jumps make the classes play a little differently, as do the elemental types on the specials and grenades (by which I mean you need a mix of classes, not that they REALLY play different)

Bungie is too focused on uber-tight PvP to really let the classes be too different.  It's too hard to balance for individual performance in PVP as well as PvE.... Imagine TFC deathmatch...

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
I've seen the future of balanced, multi-classed PvP, and it looked a lot like Borderlands 2. 

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
I'm on the 360 if anyone needs people to game with: LaserBetrayer
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.