Author Topic: Abreviations, Acronyms, and General Terms  (Read 10685 times)

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
Abreviations, Acronyms, and General Terms
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
 I figured that it might be helpful to start a thread to collect different Abreviations, Acronyms, and General Terms as a reference for people who may not know terms. First of all let me get something out of the way.
[abbr=Abreviated Term Goes Here]Abreviation Goes Here[/abbr] = Abreviation Goes Here
[acronym=Full Term Goes Here]Acronym Goes Here[/acronym] = Acronym Goes Here
These tags can also be nested with [url=Site Address Here]Hyperlink[/url] for fun and profit. Well for fun at the very least.
Using these will also help clue in people who aren't familiar with the same lingo as everyone else.

Current List

Game Terms
  • DOT, Damage Over Time - An attack which deals damage over a period of terms instead of all at once.
  • AOE, Area of Effect - An attack which effects multiple spaces in an area instead of only one.
  • AP, Action Points - Action Points are accrued by the darkness through various means. When the darkness has accrued 6 points it activates. To use most of the heroes abilities you must pay the darkenss a number of points equal to the AP cost printed on the card.
  • SP, Serendipity Points - These points are gained from successfully surviving/completing a trap on a small tile. This is different from disarming traps in other rooms. SP can be spent to acquire minor temporary bonuses.
  • Mini, Miniature - Small models, the figures used to represent both the Heroes and the Enemies.
  • FD, Fate Die- Fate die are special dice with symbols on them. When they are rolled any symbols which come up can be spent to activate one of your equipment's special abilities. Enemies can also use fate die for their special abilities
  • D10, 10 Sided Die- A dice which has 10 sides as opposed to the standard 6.
  • Blood- Can refer to Health, minions have 1 Blood, or to damage, I deal one blood, and even be strung together in the same sentence. An example of this would be "The minion has 1 Blood so I deal 1 Blood to him which is more than his 1 Blood so I kill him."
  • HP, Health Points- A generic term for how much damage something can take before dying. The equivalent in Myth is Blood.
  • TN, Target Number- The number that you need to roll or get higher than. +1TN is bad for you and -1TN is good.
  • Threat- A stat generated by the hero that may draw monsters towards them, or drive them away. May be lowered by empty action slots at the end of the hero cycle.
  • Threat Range- a stat on a monster card that indicates how far away the heroes need to be before the monster reacts to them.
  • Intelligent- When attacking, intelligent monsters will make space for others
  • Instinct- When attacking, monsters with instinct only move the amount needed to close on a Hero. They will not make space for others.
  • Range- When attacking, monster with range will move towards or away until they have reached their maximum range from their target.
  • Lair- Lairs are the Spawn points for enemies.
    • Normal- Normal Lairs are the base type of Lairs.
    • Aggressive- Enemies that Spawn from Aggressive Lairs activate immediately
    • Focused- Focused Lairs Spawn more or stronger enemies than Normal Lairs.
  • Spawn- The act of placing new enemies on the game board.

General Terms
  • BGG, Board Game Geek- A useful website dedicated, unsurprisingly, to board games and geeks. Mostly board games though.
  • LoM, Lands of Myth- This website.
  • DX, X Sided Die- Not all dice have six sides. DX refers to dice which have X amount of sides. A standard six-sided die would be a D6. Myth primarily uses D10s or 10 sided die.

I will be trying to keep this list updated. If you think I am missing something then please post it and I will add it if needed.

Contributors
Fade2Gray- X Sided Die, Fate Die.
Iron Syndicate- Fate, Threat Range, Intelligence.
Hawk- Lair Types.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:40:39 PM by Auctorium »
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
Re: Abreviations, Acronyms, and General Terms
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
I know it's basic but D10 for the dice since not everyone is familiar with >6 sided dice.
Maybe FD for the Fate dice.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Iron Syndicate

• The Typo!
  • Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
  • Ask me about our specials.
    • View Profile
    • ItaiRose.com
  • Hero: Spider-Man
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Threat - A stat generated by the hero that may draw monsters towards them, or drive them away. May be lowered by empty action slots at the end of the hero cycle.

Threat Range - a stat on a monster card that indicates how far away the heroes need to be before the monster reacts to them.

Intelligent - When attacking, intelligent monsters will make space for others.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:18:05 PM by Iron Syndicate »
Typo free since 2015.

Auctorium

• Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
The jury is still out on that one. Until a firm decision is made I will use the more intuitive term. Not everything on this list is set in stone yet. Currently the SP/Dips thing is around 50/50 with a few extras such as Connersauce, SD, and Karma floating around.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:30:55 PM by Auctorium »
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
And "Steve."   ;D
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Auctorium

• Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
Yes, and Steve. How could I ever have forgotten about that.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
Is AP ability point or Action Point?  I'm not clear on that one.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Auctorium

• Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:21:11 PM »
Action Points. My bad. :-[

Shobai

• Apprentice
  • Serendipity: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
Do you think it's worth noting that it's not only player attacks/actions that add AP to the darkness, but that the darkness also generates it's own AP based on lairs, etc?

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
I may be wrong about this but I think there may also be a distinction between Action Points (what causes the Darkness to accrue points) and Darkness Points (points the Darkness has already accrued).
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Auctorium

• Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
I may be wrong about this but I think there may also be a distinction between Action Points (what causes the Darkness to accrue points) and Darkness Points (points the Darkness has already accrued).

If you watch the The Darkness video he calls it an AP track and on the darkness board it is labeled AP

Do you think it's worth noting that it's not only player attacks/actions that add AP to the darkness, but that the darkness also generates it's own AP based on lairs, etc?

I'm conflicted on this. It might be helpful to add that but at what point do I stop explaining terms and start explaining rules? I am trying to keep things as simple, yet comprehensive, as possible. I will have to think on it a little bit. I will probably end up rewriting the entry to be less specific on rules but still explanatory enough to help.

Shobai

• Apprentice
  • Serendipity: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »
@Auctorium

I think that's fair enough, it's definitely better as a reference rather than a source

hawk

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »
Didn't they also mention a term for monsters who can act immediately upon spawning? Aggressive?
something something typo

Auctorium

• Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »
Didn't they also mention a term for monsters who can act immediately upon spawning? Aggressive?

There are a few different types of lair spawns. The ones I know about are Normal (self explanatory), Aggressive (Enemies activate on spawn), and Focused (Greater number of Spawns)

hawk

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »
Well, since you had "Intelligent" up there, I thought that was kinda the same vein...
something something typo