Author Topic: Offical FAQ 1.0 and Walk-through/Overview  (Read 9110 times)

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
Re: Offical FAQ 1.0 and Walk-through/Overview
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Battle Gar Galactica!

This time, the fish are the Cylons.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »
Not at all, no worries, this isn't BGG  ;)

That should be our new tagline!  ;D

No kidding.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
Page 5 of the FAQ, under combat, says you must spend one die per monster-type, instead of one die per TN in the AoE of the attack.
Has it really changed or is it a mistake?

This is the way it's always been, just re-worded. It's always been different monster types. But I feel it will probably vary with the Iathi.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Page 5 of the FAQ, under combat, says you must spend one die per monster-type, instead of one die per TN in the AoE of the attack.

This is the way it's always been, just re-worded. It's always been different monster types. But I feel it will probably vary with the Iathi.

I'd actually been under the impression that it was per TN as well. It's never been much of a concern up to now, but when we get more enemy types with wave 2 this'll probably become a more serious question.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Really? I've got to read the rules again, it seems.

But since monster-types, at least most of the time, include minions, captains and lairs, you'd need only one die to hit all of them? Even if they have different TN? So you only need to reach the highest and hit them all?

Can you see my confusion?

My Myth world is shattered ...

Edit : OK, now that I've picked up my brains from all over and that I've re-read the rules, here's a direct quote from page 20 :

"Attacks across multiple Monster-types with the same TNs need only be check one time. Attacks encompassing multiple Monster-types with different TNs need to be checked against each type specifically."

To me (and English is not my first language, so I'll rely on you fine folks...), this means what I always thought. You spend one die per TN in your AoE, not one die per monster-type. Or maybe it's one die per TN per type? So if you attacked minions of 2 different races (types) and both had a TN of 5, then you'd need two dice to roll 5+ to hit them all. Is this what you meant?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:29:14 PM by RemiBureau »
Acolyte - Keeping the Faith since 2015

Sir Wilhelm

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
  • Apprentice Pledge
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Soldier
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »

Really? I've got to read the rules again, it seems.

But since monster-types, at least most of the time, include minions, captains and lairs, you'd need only one die to hit all of them? Even if they have different TN? So you only need to reach the highest and hit them all?

Can you see my confusion?

My Myth world is shattered ...

Edit : OK, now that I've picked up my brains from all over and that I've re-read the rules, here's a direct quote from page 20 :

"Attacks across multiple Monster-types with the same TNs need only be check one time. Attacks encompassing multiple Monster-types with different TNs need to be checked against each type specifically."

To me (and English is not my first language, so I'll rely on you fine folks...), this means what I always thought. You spend one die per TN in your AoE, not one die per monster-type. Or maybe it's one die per TN per type? So if you attacked minions of 2 different races (types) and both had a TN of 5, then you'd need two dice to roll 5+ to hit them all. Is this what you meant?

Going by RAW in seems that monster types with the same TN (Grubbers and Stalkers for example), can both be hit with one die result of 5.  When my wife and I played the 2nd Act of No Rest for the Weary, we went with RAI and decided that to hit both with one attack two 5's needed to be rolled.  It seems MERCS has officially deemed that RAI was the way to go.  So now RAI has turned into RAW I guess?  :o

Edit: Yes Remi, you were correct.  And then MERCS corrected you :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:53:17 PM by Sir Wilhelm »
'If you want something, sometimes you have to take a risk. But if you really want something, then you have to be willing to risk everything.'

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
I did find it odd that you could hit Stalkers and Grubbers with the same die, but that if the Archer used a card that lowers TN of armoured enemies, he'd need 2 die to hit them both.

From now on, I'll play it that you need one die per name of monster (1 for crawlers, 1 for stalkers, 1 for grubbers, etc). In not using monster-type here because like I said before, the definition of monster-type seems to vary in the rules, so it brings more confusion.
Acolyte - Keeping the Faith since 2015

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
so I just ran into a HUGE difference/contradiction between rulebook and walkthrough. The acolyte near the end powers his Last Rites with 5 (2 cards + 2 via Pray + base) and hits 6 targets. This is in line with the schematic as presented on the card, but the "tricky cards" section in the rulebook says that the base faith is used to power the ability, meaning you don't get a freebie from the card and therefore would only hit 5 targets, not 6. I personally first played as the walkthrough, and then reread the rules and changed, and the versatility/use of the ability is much hindered by not getting a bonus target. i had a harder time hitting three to pop a treasure. I sure hope the walkthrough trumps the rulebook.

On a related note, I didn't realize if you kill 6 creatures in one go that you pop two treasure. Makes sense, but I didn't know.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
so I just ran into a HUGE difference/contradiction between rulebook and walkthrough. The acolyte near the end powers his Last Rites with 5 (2 cards + 2 via Pray + base) and hits 6 targets. This is in line with the schematic as presented on the card, but the "tricky cards" section in the rulebook says that the base faith is used to power the ability, meaning you don't get a freebie from the card and therefore would only hit 5 targets, not 6. I personally first played as the walkthrough, and then reread the rules and changed, and the versatility/use of the ability is much hindered by not getting a bonus target. i had a harder time hitting three to pop a treasure. I sure hope the walkthrough trumps the rulebook.

On a related note, I didn't realize if you kill 6 creatures in one go that you pop two treasure. Makes sense, but I didn't know.

We had exactly the same problem and the same flipflops on the acolyte.  The 2 treasure for 6 kills was new to me too.  Not too many ways to get that one though, so shouldn't come up much.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.