Author Topic: New gameplay videos : what did we learn?  (Read 6486 times)

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
New gameplay videos : what did we learn?
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
I figured we should try and compile the rulings we can learn (or at least confirm some assumptions) from the new gameplay videos. I'll start with the things I've spotted and remember, and I'll edit this post to try and include what everybody else adds along the way. If you wish to add something, please write in which video it occurred, and at what time.

Lets start :

Combo : Even if a card that is part of a Combo adds enough AP to trigger the DC, you're still allowed to keep playing the rest of your Combo cards (adding AP for these as well, of course) before the DC triggers.
Video 1 - 8:00

Non-combat actions : A hero can do as many NCA he wants in a HC, as long as he has enough MPs. This includes disarming traps (unless the trap specifies you can't try more than once, of course). Also, MPs added by cards (ie. Hustle) can be used for NCA, including disarming traps.
Video 3 - 14:15

Unseen Ally : This card gives a great bonus to another hero. On top of that, if it's played as a Combo after Shadow's Reach, the Brigand stays in Shadows even if the attack was successful.
Video 3 - 17:15

Equipping items giving Vitality : When equipping/removing items that adds Vitality to your hero, your current Vitality is also affected. Meaning, if you have the Adventurer's Gear equipped (+1 Vitality), and you remove it to equip the Mantle of Fate (+3 Vitality), your current Vitality is increased by 2 (-1 +3). You can die from removing an item that granted you as much Vitality as you had left.
Video 3 - 28:20

Populating tile : You MUST resolve the populating icons in the order they are printed on the tile. On a 4x6, you must place the Hunting Pack before you roll what trap you have to face.
Video 3 - 31:00
Acolyte - Keeping the Faith since 2015

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
Re: New gameplay videos : what did we learn?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
Combo : Even if a card that is part of a Combo adds enough AP to trigger the DC, you're still allowed to keep playing the rest of your Combo cards (adding AP for these as well, of course) before the DC triggers.

This isn't meant to be rude or insulting, but I was under the impression that this was already pretty common knowledge well before this new video

gain

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
Also...Loitering seems to affect the entire act? They had 1 less treasure on the tiles for some reason.

Edit: OH!!! I have been reading this wrong the entire time.

From the rulebook: f the Heroes do not spend at least one AP in a Hero Cycle, they are considered to be Loitering. The maximum amount of treasure allowed by all tiles in an Act is reduced by one. Loitering prevents Heroes from avoiding the game and farming Lairs.

pretty deadly..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:54:09 PM by gain »

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »

This isn't meant to be rude or insulting, but I was under the impression that this was already pretty common knowledge well before this new video

You're so rude! ;)

That's how we played in my group but there is nothing in the rules or the FAQ that says it's how you should play it. The idea here is to outline missing rules with what they do. I have to say I was surprised for Unseen Ally. I still don't understand their logic of card structure.
Sometimes the text following "(Optional): " only happens if you prayed the optional card, sometimes it always happens but you're allowed to play the card after the optional one even if you normally wouldn't be able.
The way unseen ally is written is as if nothing happens if you don't play Shadow's Reach before.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »

While a number of people have been playing it that way, neither the rulebook nor the FAQ states that this is how it works. It's a pretty critical piece of information for playing the brigand correctly/effectively, and yet it's at best vaguely implied by the rules. The first official confirmation of it (that I've seen anyway) was video #1.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
While a number of people have been playing it that way, neither the rulebook nor the FAQ states that this is how it works. It's a pretty critical piece of information for playing the brigand correctly/effectively, and yet it's at best vaguely implied by the rules. The first official confirmation of it (that I've seen anyway) was video #1.

I'm almost 100% positive that it was addressed either in an early gameplay vid, or answered online somewhere.  It's very likely one of those bits of info that was known if you paid a lot of attention to development and communication through the Kickstarter....but was never officially printed or put into the FAQ.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
I'm almost 100% positive that it was addressed either in an early gameplay vid, or answered online somewhere.  It's very likely one of those bits of info that was known if you paid a lot of attention to development and communication through the Kickstarter....but was never officially printed or put into the FAQ.

There's several threads at BGG where people discuss how the combo and optional cards work without once mentioning that all the cards resolve before the AP advances. There are also at least one thread at BGG and at least one here at Lands of Myth where people say that's how they play it / intepret it, but then go on to admit they have no official source to back it up. So if it's been known as an official rule for a long time, people have been remarkably vague and/or quiet about that pedigree.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
Populating the tile is new to me.  I was under the impression we'd been ENCOURAGED to roll the trap before deciding whether to include a hunting pack...

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
I'll be honest. I'd never noticed before that the hunting pack icon came before the trap icon on 4x6's.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »
I'll confess that I'd assumed the icons on the 4x6 Tiles were 'out of order' due to a misprint.

It's weird that 4x6 works the way it does while the other Tile sizes let you know which Trap or what the nature of the Quest is before you populate them. Even 4x12 lets you know what the Trap is before you decide whether there's 3 or 16 minions on the Tile.

Dan the Skald

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
I have learned that Fingers of Ia targeted minions within one space of each other and not two. I always played that the effect had to jump two. Kenny cleared out four minions standing next to each other. Either it was a misplay (and he was thinking chaotic overflow) or that is how it should be played.

You aren't non-descrip-gender enough to handle the poetry in the Tavern!

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
I have learned that Fingers of Ia targeted minions within one space of each other and not two. I always played that the effect had to jump two. Kenny cleared out four minions standing next to each other. Either it was a misplay (and he was thinking chaotic overflow) or that is how it should be played.

He played it correctly. The card should read "jump up to 2 spaces". It's the same thing with other cards. Blink should read " up to 3 spaces ".
Most of the time, they simply give the maximum range or distance but don't clearly say that you don't have to use all that distance.

I'll have to watch the video again to be sure, but I think the last minion would have been out of range for Chaotic Overflow

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:47 PM »
So, I just watched the final gameplay video, the fight against Bones...

While I don't think there is any new rule to learn from it, it was nice to see that level 2 bosses can be used as soon as we get them!

Also, the monster cards for the Soulless and Bones are all shown in details so you get to see how good they are.

We do get a confirmation of how Summon works too with the 3 summoned Soulless...

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
Rule clarification for me. Lol a reed in the wind can return damage to attacking monster. Deadly!

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
Do we add threat to like a reed in the wind?