Author Topic: Myth Tuckboxes  (Read 43996 times)

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
Re: Myth Tuckboxes
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Very nice work. They look great and really fit with the theme. Pitch them to MERCS I say!

Yamato

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +16/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Necromancer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
well done!!!!!!

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »
I can finally see the images! And damn, these look great! Let us know when they're finally done and send people some files.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
98mm x 72mm x 21mm are the outside dimensions of the boxes, Remi.

Edits to the flaps worked out well, and the fade transition on the flaps reduced some white edges at the seams. I dropped shadows behind the class text and the class symbols to make them pop a bit more.  The only edits I'm going to do at this point is to make my fold/cut lines stand out a bit more once printed, and center the class text on the sides of the box per the entire box length instead of just the beige/gray areas - It looks off on the finished box.

Once those few tweaks are done, I'll move on to the remaining classes (goes fairly quickly now that I have the base template done).

Are there particular colors associated with the spriggan/skald/trickster? I've pulled the color of the class symbols and text from the manual for the base 5 classes.  If not, I was thinking darker green for the Spriggan, gold for the Trickster, and a purplish-red for the Skald.

As far as printing them, you can get one per 8.5"x11" sheet. I would recommend at least 110lb coverstock. For the absolute best feeling/best looking/sturdiest tuckboxes, I print the image onto regular 24lb linen embossed paper, then stick that to a sheet of 110lb coverstock with 3M spray adhesive. The 3M spray sticks almost instantly and won't warp the paper like your traditional glues. The linen paper holds the ink and is a lot tougher than coverstock -- At least with the printer I use, it seems like the ink is easily damaged on coverstock, and this isnt the case on the linen paper. It also makes a super strong material that isn't too thick. They feel really solid, almost like they are made out of plastic when finished. You also get that same nice look/feel as linen embossed playing cards. I'm toying around with the thought of ordering some black 110lb coverstock to glue the linen paper to, I think black interior would look classy.

You can either cut them out with a straight edge and a blade, or scissors if you have a steady hand. If you want crisp edges, you'll need to score the fold lines before actually folding them. You need something with an edge that won't tear or cut the paper. Again, the linen paper shines here compared to normal coverstock, in terms of not getting torn while doing this step. I use a straight edge and a butter knife upside down to do mine. You can glue or tape. I use Scotch double sided permanent tape. Two well place strips is all that you need.

The only other tip, really, is that the paper is going to tear slightly on a 90 degree+ bend - it's just part of it. You can't notice it in lightly colored areas, but it stands out in darker colors as such:

If you don't like the worn look, you can drag an appropriate colored marker over the edges -- I raid my kids' crayola marker box. Then it comes out like so:

The brown color looks good lightened, and you can see some more of the linen texture here:

Going to make my adjustments, and move on to the brigand/soldier boxes. I'll see what I can do about getting them uploaded somewhere at that point. I plan on making boxes for everything, if I can stick with it. (Items, Slaughterfield deck, etc)

Thanks for the encouraging comments so far!

The Voivod

• Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
Are these going to be big enough to hold cards in sleeves?
Or should we print them a bit bigger for that?

Really love this. I'm allways looking for ways to tidy up my gameboxes.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
They should be big enough, they're taller and larger than the actual cards.

We don't have the exact measurements of the sleeves, but the box is about a full cm taller and larger than the cards.

sadly, for me, it means they won't fit in the insert I found for the box.
Acolyte - Keeping the Faith since 2015

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
I'm going to assume that the item card box will be smaller, but what will you put on it as far as graphics are concerned?
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

Warsong

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »
these look fantastic!  You really should pitch these to MERCS!!!  I realize you are doing this out of your love for the game, but you should still consider making your fever-pitch devotion pay off to feed your hobby.  You already done all the design work and I think these would look great on your FLGS shelf!
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »
Sounds like you really know what you're doing. I'm no where near that craft inclined. If you'd be willing Careless, maybe we could get some pre-made sets as prizes for contests here on the site.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 06:59:40 AM »
I dunno, MC, seems pretty easy to me: print, cut, fold, glue, touch-up.  If you want to do the linen step, just print, adhere, cut, fold glue, touch-up.  The Possum's taken all the hard work out of it.  I'm just waiting on those tasty, pretty files to hit a Dropbox account somewhere.
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »
Putting the final(ish) images of all the class boxes in the first thread.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:41:20 AM by CarelessOpossum »

DoberFrann

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Iron Man
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »
Great stuff man.
I wanna live my life in a fairy tale, where the end is always good and never sad.

Yamato

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +16/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Necromancer
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Putting the final(ish) images of all the class boxes in the first thread.

FYI the hero token for the Spriggan is royal purple,.. So I would guess that his cards will be the same.

The colors for the apprentice and skald are very similar,... But the apprentice ais a little redder,... The skald a bit more burgundy

Pymander

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
Does the Spriggan box say Vitality 3?

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte