Author Topic: Changing the name of the "Story" level  (Read 5375 times)

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
Changing the name of the "Story" level
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »
I was thinking about how Mercs is planing on expanding beyond the "Story" level to the "Myth" level at some point in the future. The trouble I see is with the name of the "Story" level. I keep wanting to call the "Myth" level a new story level, but given that the word story already has a very specific meaning within the context of the game I can see that causing confusion.

So, what do you all think? Should the name of the "Story" level change and, if so, to what? The only alternative I can think of off the top of my head is "Tale" but I'm not sure that would sound right.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the name of the "Story" level
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
The naming convention of each of them is a little strange to begin with, but seems fine anyway.

Chapters are typically associated with a Book.
Acts are typically associated with a Play.
Story is sort of a broad and generic term.  While I typically associate it with a book, it technically can be a play, and movie, ....just about any form really.

A Myth is really just a specific type of story.  It's not necessarily any different in size than any other type of story...so making a Myth-level game consist of multiple stories doesn't make any more sense than the connections between the other terminology.

I don't think there really needs to be any changes, since the structure doesn't seem to technically make a lot of sense to begin with...but it sounds just fine and is easy enough to remember, which is the important part.

Patrick, The Researcher

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • I am Lord Twinkington
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
Plus they plan on chaining stories through a later expansion for myths.
I respect but do not fear the murphy bat.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
I'm not sure if a "Myth" will be a series of stories, or similar to a story but containing more acts than 3.  (I think it's the former.)  Either way, Myth Quests are an official term that has yet to be officially introduced, and Myths are bigger than stories.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Smoothsmith

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 05:25:23 AM »
I think it's fine.

Chapters are a short section, typically the smallest subsection before a 'scene' in media.
Acts are next up, most frequently seen in plays, but I've read books that are split into acts too.
Story seems a good substitute for 'book' to me as the theme is a person telling a story, rather than reading a book.
Myth, if you think of a story as a book, then a myth is like a trilogy, or endless series of books. Myths can spread a long period of time, particularly if they are about a person, and multiple stories for them make sense to me.

hawk

• Lair
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
If we wanted a more coherent set of terms, we could look at the stories as bardic poems and have something like

Stanza (Could refer to Quests)
Verse (Would replace Chapters)
Canto (Would replace Act)
Epic (Would replace story)
Myth (A collection of Epics, the entire background of your hero)

Just some musings I had. Of course, these stories are more prose than poem, so it's not 100% accurate, but still.
something something typo

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »
If we wanted a more coherent set of terms, we could look at the stories as bardic poems and have something like

Stanza (Could refer to Quests)
Verse (Would replace Chapters)
Canto (Would replace Act)
Epic (Would replace story)
Myth (A collection of Epics, the entire background of your hero)

Just some musings I had. Of course, these stories are more prose than poem, so it's not 100% accurate, but still.

That's actually an excelent idea! It would fit with the overal tone of the game and I'm sure Brian would love it given his background. Personaly, I'm not sure if the name of quests would need to change, but I really like the way everything fits together there.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Warsong

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:35:49 AM »
I have a different take...

think Story should remain and as your hero levels and bards sing of their glory...

it becomes an Epic as you bask in even more glory and riches, your fame is exclaimed far and wide...

until your deeds are renowned throughout the kingdom as a Legend when even the monsters tremble at your mention...

culminating in your name becoming a Myth that even the Darkness fears to whisper...
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Alex the Aussie

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-9
  • ACC Member
    • View Profile
    • KS profile
  • Hero: Twilight Knight Allison
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:13:41 AM »
To be honest I'm actually pretty happy with the way it is at the moment.

@Warsong: I don't think "Story-Epic-Legend-Myth" works, the hierarchy isn't clear enough between Epic, Legend, and Myth. Also the terms Story and Epic don't really suit what you have them representing form the game ( ie they imply something much longer than what is actually played out in each instance).

@Hawk: "Stanza-Verse-Canto-Epic-Myth" sounds nice and all the words hold to a common theme ( maybe less so for Myth) . However I definitely don't think Quest needs to be changed ( what ever system you go with ) and I feel Epic seems even closer to Myth than story. Also although pretty much every one knows what a Verse is, Stanza and Canto are less clear and so I think it detracts from the flow of the game. It would probably work quite well for poetry buffs though, I guess.

While Myth is defined as a story, I see a Myth as a number of storeys about a particular legend. I guess that's just me...

Anyway I think its fine and doesn't need changing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:16:31 AM by Alex the Aussie »

hawk

• Lair
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »
Well, when you're talking about poetry, an Epic (Poem) is a really long poem that details a single series of events regarding a character or set of characters. The Illiad is an Epic. The Odyssey is an Epic. An Epic is, essentially, a story. While a Myth would also technically be a story by one definition, I was thinking more along the lines of "The man or the myth" or, like, an entire Mythology, which would be a series of stories that define a particular being or set of beings. "The Myth of Hercules," for example, would detail not just one of Hercules' Epic trials, but ALL twelve+ of them. It is maybe not 100% clear due to the multiple definitions and usages of each word, but, again, I was going for more of a Traditional Bardic Tale theme, so I was using the more traditional definitions, if it makes sense?
something something typo

Alex the Aussie

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-9
  • ACC Member
    • View Profile
    • KS profile
  • Hero: Twilight Knight Allison
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
Well, when you're talking about poetry, an Epic (Poem) is a really long poem that details a single series of events regarding a character or set of characters. The Illiad is an Epic. The Odyssey is an Epic. An Epic is, essentially, a story. While a Myth would also technically be a story by one definition, I was thinking more along the lines of "The man or the myth" or, like, an entire Mythology, which would be a series of stories that define a particular being or set of beings. "The Myth of Hercules," for example, would detail not just one of Hercules' Epic trials, but ALL twelve+ of them. It is maybe not 100% clear due to the multiple definitions and usages of each word, but, again, I was going for more of a Traditional Bardic Tale theme, so I was using the more traditional definitions, if it makes sense?

Yeah, that's exactly how I see Myth :)