Author Topic: Guardians Chronicles: Superhero Theme Miniatures Dungeon Crawl -FUNDED  (Read 22757 times)

DCF

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
EDIT:

Lots of changes since my OP. PnP plus Origins testing have had great responses. We've unlocked a ton of new content and this KS is now on its final day. 160 gets you everything. No add-ons required to get stretch goal content. 70 (or one of the early bird 50, 51, 52 pledges) gets you the full base game just without all the new heroes, villains and traps.

Pre-painted is an option included in the base pledge for all figures except minions, and a couple of the KS exclusive heroes. (Massive pledges can get you the deluxe painting on everything.)

Why pledge now versus buying at retail.

For $70 you get the base game plus two kickstarter exclusive heroes and two new trap tiles. (50 dollar level pledges when they open up will give you the base game at a big discount plus one kickstarter exclusive hero.)

The $160 pledge gives a massive amount of content including
25 additional minions (15 melee, 5 ranged, 5 area effect)
16 additional heroes!!!!
6 new villains
6 double sided bonus tiles that are a mix of trap, entrance and objective
KS exclusive hero dice
KS exclusive villain dice
You also get rookie/veteran cards for each hero unlocked. These can be used to adjust the power of the heroes to make games easier/hard or for a level up/campaign mode system.

Community Support
IELLO is offering amazing support and our own Myth Master has created a fan forum for the game. IELLO is working on giving us the ability to create and print user generated content with the original artwork. This includes tiles to create your own lairs and cards if you want to create your own heroes/villains using minis you already own. IELLO intends for this to be a franchise with an episode 2 that will introduce a whole new archvillain/location. They are also releasing co-op rules and bonus scenarios.

Original post follows:

Guardian Chronicles is a KS for a superhero themed miniatures game played on tiles using cards/dice. Similar to Myth but one player needs to be the villain. Multiple heroes to choose from with each one having their own unique card deck. The card mechanic is interesting. Each card has both stat modifiers and a special ability but you only get to use one of the two each time you play a card. You play two cards per round getting the stat modifiers from one and the special ability from the other. After cycling through your deck you get your cards back. Game play videos are still in progress but they've posted quick start rules.

Pledge levels get you extra minions, and additional heroes/villains/tiles. They look on track to hit their funding goal with ~30 days remaining on the clock. Creators, playtesters and artists are very responsive in the comments thread. Current stretch goals are extra heroes as well as alternate hero decks.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:28:35 AM by DCF »
-DCF

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: Guardians Chronicles: Superhero Theme Miniatures Dungeon Crawl
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 11:36:02 PM »
And feminism marches on!
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
And feminism marches on!
Well, it is a Super Hero board game. Did we expect any less? At least Power Girl got a costume update.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:44:36 AM »
I guess I was spoiled by Sentinels of the Multiverse :P

Edit: and of course MYTH
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

Alex the Aussie

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-9
  • ACC Member
    • View Profile
    • KS profile
  • Hero: Twilight Knight Allison
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:25:03 AM »
I don't get the draw...
Maybe I'm just put off by Sgt douch, or just the whole hyper patriotic douchyness emanating from it. I'm sure Americans will love it, drawing to it like I draw to all things limited edition for the simple fact that they are.
I don't know what it is, every other country I either love or don't care about their patriotism, but seeing America's patriotic stuff is really off putting and can ruin all manner of things for me. One of the things I struggle with the most is "Captain America" and similar archetypes, dressed up in red, blue and white like they are the only country with those colours, posing as though they are they very essence of what is right using words like "freedom" as a way to justify everything they do. Like a Stalinist propaganda poster except ,instead of seeing them for the lie which they are, people actually rally blindly to their cause. Constantly driving the misguided notion that "Freedom" is the battle cry of the just and the vanquisher of evil. Creating a population so focused on the word "Freedom" that they lose sight of what it means and that its not just something only people of America strive for but all the people of the world, independent of Americas ideas of what is good and evil.
History has shown America to abuse words like "Freedom" to build them selves up while crushing those around them as though its their God given right. Seeing patriotic America scream freedom while rallying behind some self righteous figurehead only serves to instil the world with fear of who their next target is. What country must next sacrifice itself for the prosperity of the holy America.

This arrogant self serving nature of the American government is what all American patriotism reminds me of now. This idea, driven by a large part of American media and government, that America is somehow more just, more righteous, more worthy than any other country is what causes me to recoil from supporting a project so proud of America and its, once declared but many times thoughtlessly voiced, catch phrase "Freedom".

*Freedom has been so abused by America that it is but a shell of what it once meant, the core now rotten oozing with self righteousness. I would feel bad for using it, like as though I just made a sick joke, in the middle of a serious conversation. People will say "for freedom" but all I hear is "to further my selfish goals".*

Anyway that's my rant...
Basically no amount of extra free stuff could make me buy this game. You couldn't pay me enough to get it.

Edit: *well ok that bits not really true, I just got caught up in the whole thing...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:32:11 AM by Alex the Aussie »

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:48 AM »
Alex, I'm a red-blooded, southern, American redneck.... and I agree with you.  Some Americans have taken the idea of freedom to such gross excess that they've now become free of morality.  Back in the day, Cap'n America didn't stand for freedom: he stood for hope, for doing what was right, for taking up the struggles of those who were faced with adversaries they could never hope to defeat on their own.  Today, he's just a guy who Iron Man occasionally calls on the phone.
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

DCF

• Merchant
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
Wow interesting politics in response to this game.

Regarding super nova's costume....yes it is skimpy. Exaggeration is part of the genre (for both the male and female body). The kickstarter has multiple players and some of the additional female characters have costumes that are not so revealing.

As far as politics goes, the game company is based in France not the US. It's made by IELLO, the same company that made King of Tokyo. "Patriotic" heroes is a fairly common archetype whether its Captain America or Wonder Woman. Partially that has to do with this history of comics during World War II when these characters were used to advertise war bonds.

If you hate superhero comics for politic reasons obviously you're going to have no interest in a superhero game. For everyone else, IELLO is a company that has a history of producing quick to learn, fun games with a lot of depth. They are running a good KS with lots of discussion on the comments board from the game creator, artist and playtesters. It's also a very similar game to myth (characters move about on tiles, card from a deck are expended to play actions, each character has its own special ability).

For people interested in myth style games (like myself) and enjoy superhero comics/movies this is a no brainer.
-DCF

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »
At least Power Girl got a costume update.

That's gonna put a few Cosplayers out of work!

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Maybe Alex will go back and revise his rant to be directed at France, since they've done the same things as the United States AND the game is being made by a French company, not a company in the U.S.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »

Probably not.  I'm friends with Vegas PG and she's not altering her cosplay based on this New52 outfit.  Mostly because it will be gone in a few months.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 02:11:34 AM »

Probably not.  I'm friends with Vegas PG and she's not altering her cosplay based on this New52 outfit.  Mostly because it will be gone in a few months.
Also, did anyone else notice she's got the new PokeCenter P for her symbol?
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

DCF

• Merchant
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »
Gameplay video is up showing one turn of gameplay. You can see how the turn order works, how heroes/villains play cards, combat, damage + wounds, and a hero trying to stop a missile launch on an objective tile.
-DCF

CHADD

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Brigand
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »
*Rule #1: Do not feed the troll*

So, on topic, this looks like an interesting game but since I'm already fully invested in Sentinels of the Multiverse and now Myth I just don't feel the need to pick this up at the moment. That being said, I do hope this does well (beyond KS) as I'd like to pick it up retail some time in the future.

Mykalson

• Apprentice
  • Serendipity: +7/-1
  • May you always find water and shade.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:24 AM »
I've gotta pass on this one. I've gone waay too crazy as it is on Kickstarters in the last few weeks.

+1 CHADD. Starve the Troll, feed a penguin!
Archer FTW!

Joshua

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +5/-21
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
Thought I would mention that this KS has had a bit of an update. They have upped the number of models in the base game, and also increased the number of super heroes available through stretch goals, including a somewhat Avengeresque group called the Night Squad.