Author Topic: Mini Painting - Mice and Mystics  (Read 9270 times)

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Mini Painting - Mice and Mystics
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
So after deciding to paint minis I did a bunch of research and tested some things on some cheap, dollar store army men. I decided to take the plunge and do a serious paint on some game minis that I have. So first up was Mice and Mystics, here are the results: http://imgur.com/a/5cqn7

I am pretty happy with the way these turned out overall. Learned a lot from actually painting these and look forward to the next batch, Zombicide lol

Iron Syndicate

• The Typo!
  • Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
  • Ask me about our specials.
    • View Profile
    • ItaiRose.com
  • Hero: Spider-Man
Re: Mini Painting - Mice and Mystics
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
These look great!

Would love to hear a little about the process you used.
Typo free since 2015.

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
Hopefully this isn't a jumbled mess and makes sense haha.

For most of the minions and 2 of the mice  I used a black primer (roaches, rats, spider, centipede and the rogue and hammer mice since they were dark)and the other mice I used a white primer, both spray primers. I used dry brushing on the mice and rats for their fur. black > darker grey > grey at the top most parts and dark brown > brown > light brown at the top most parts on the rats. I used similar transitions on the mice except the white one where I started with a light grey > even lighter grey > to white at the top most parts. I always worked from inside to outside to keep over painting issues to a minimum. I would paint primer > basecoat colors > wash >highlight >highlight 2 > highlight 3 leaving color from the last highlight each time and #3 only being the highest points. On the white figures, I put black paint on areas that needed darker colors such as browns, blacks, greens, etc as it takes more coats to get that level of darker color on white.

I then coloured in the armour, swords, capes, etc. with my base colour and applied a dark wash to them (army painter strong ) when they were dry I painted on the highlight layer leaving the darker recesses unpainted, and then a second highlight layer on the higher points leaving the previous color still slightly visible, then a final highlight on the highest points. Like on the capes and robes of the mice. So like for the rogue I painted dark brown on the cloak and after the wash dried I highlighted with the same color for the first transition, and gradually lightened it up for each other highlight. I made sure to water the paints enough so that it would blend into the previous color better than a hard stark contrast. Same for fleshy bits, darker flesh tone, then lighter highlight (ears, nose, tail)

I seen this done many times in the GirlPainting videos on youtube, she explains it very well. When I put the wash on too I made sure to let it sink into the recesses, and used my brush to soak up any undesired pooling. I avoided washing the fur however with the strong tone, just the clothing/weapons/ etc. It would have made it too dark. I did the highlighting process on the various items on each mini belts/straps/weapons/pouches and it gives it a 3d look.

I washed the fleshy bits with the soft tone wash and used my brush to remove pools where I didnt want them.

The spider and centipede were similar dry brushings with the color transitions, and I washed the joints in the centipede with a dark wash as I wanted the recesses dark to make the colors pop more and define the sections of its body better. The spider I filled in the joints with the orange and eyes red (along with the centipede) for a bit of a cartoon-ish evil look.

The rats were pretty straight forward as they didnt have much in the way of armor. I wanted a dark plate mail middle with a highlighted silver edging on their shoulder pad and highlighted the leather straps. I painted all the weapons with a dark silver (silver + black paint) for the base and then highlighted with a slightly dark silver on the bulk of the blade leaving the dark coloring in low spots or areas of shadow (that I though would be anyways haha) and then just the tips and parts of the edge with silver to make a shine (dagger, and swords). On the rats blades I wanted them to look old and worn, but with the edges roughly sharpened so I swiped the slightly dark silver paint along the edges slightly as if the blade was on a grinder wheel.

I made the eyes have a small dot of slightly off white paint to give a reflection of light, and for the bases I painted them with a flat grey and dry brushed some lighter grey on most to give some texture, but I found it really made the figures pop (plus I had no basing supplies haha) On the spider I mixed white and yellow and drybrushed heavier, I wanted it to look like old webbing.

Hopefully that makes sense haha. I have to admit a lot of the things I did I seen on GirlPainting she does a remarkable job explaining this stuff and I am pretty happy with the way these turned out. I went for more highlights here since there are not that many characters. I am looking to paint zombicide next, and I wont put as much detail into the zombies. Maybe a single highlight after the wash, but for the larger bosses and heroes I will do more highlighting. Otherwise I will be painting zombies forever haha.

On average each mouse hero took me around +/- 2 hours including drying time and such but I was getting faster as I painted. The rats I painted in 3's like an assembly line, paint the fur on all, then the leather, then the swords and armor, eyes. The same with the roaches, basecoat, drybrush brown, drybrush highlight. So that was a lot faster and only took an hour or so per set, the larger spider and centipede took about an hour each.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also applied an anti-shine varnish to the minis to take the shine off of them a bit as well as help to protect the paint from damage.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:30:04 PM by ced_spectre1 »

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
That's really good! I don't suppose you have WIP pics?
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
I have a couple of the rats, unfortunately I forgot to take any other haha. I will next time though, it would be cool to see them.

Rat after drybrushing and the base coats applied:

Other rats with drybrushing and base coats (on a paint can stirring stick, works great for priming multiple minis at once haha) :

Edit: Sorry resized now lol
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:24:47 PM by ced_spectre1 »

Lucerian

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +11/-1
  • (Insert witty comment here)
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster/Skald
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »
Those are pretty awesome!
It's a typo...

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 01:54:16 AM »
Very nice.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »

trumby

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »
Ohh those look great!

ced1106

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
The M&M site has a painting tutorial:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/138

I'm filing this Rat Ogre tutorial on this thread so we have one place of info for rat painting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOKOFFT85Js

Will you be painting the eyes? Bad guys always need red eyes! :D Lemme know how you do it. I'm always looking for tips!

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-1
  • Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: All of em!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Very nice work TC!!
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
I kept these minis eyes back with a white spot for light reflection, although I like the idea of a dark red eye for the myth minions hmm... I picked up a second set of minis so I want to make some elite rats, and an albino one with red eyes .

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 02:32:11 AM »
Looking good. I wish I had that level of talent. I'm still fairly new to painting.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

ced1106

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »
Madclaw,

Between the M&M tutorial, the Reaper Learn to Paint Kit 1: Beginning Fur and Armor (there will be a revised Bones version "soon"), and this CMON tutorial, you should be set!
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/7574-painting-reaper-bones-dire-rats

The Reaper forums have several WIP threads about their paint kits, including:
http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48833-frompers-newbie-learning-to-paint-wip-thread/page-2