Author Topic: Foam & other custom storage solutions - Discussion & Examples (pics welcome!)  (Read 38634 times)

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
Re: Foam & other custom storage solutions - Discussion & Examples (pics welcome!)
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
I am a bit on crossroads I want to buy 1 solution (one brand) but can make up my mind to many choices.  I need it for 40k, Krosmaster, Myth, My paints, SDE and some small other painted stuff.

BattleFoam
Seems awesome (and great bags) but really really expensive. And the foam might be to harsh on the models so paint chips off. (some reports valid or not) but full customization (and an amazing paint bag)

Feldherr
seems good and the foam gets great reviews the bags are ok for the value. Less choices for specialized trays and no customization.

KR foam is in the middle a bit between battle foam and Feldherr.  More choices and Customisation with your foam layout.

One conclusion is stik with the GW format as all three make trays that fit that size. So you can mix and match get the best of both worlds. For my paints I love the P3 bag from Battlefoam but it is some odd size that only works for the Privateer press bags and not for the shield bag.

But as Battlefoam makes great bag I might opt to buy a shield bag for al my transporting needs and Feldherr for all my foam and 1-2 trays custom for krosmasters as they have a lot of small bits. And the paint bag from battlefoam as it is the only one available that has the right cutouts for P3 paint bottles. Or I just use my sword bag and add a box with paints to it on top of my normal trays.

But tnx all for your posts/search for the perfect solution it seems that for this case Feldherr is the better (and cheaper choice) but only the carry case might be and issue but I can always buy a shield bag from BF as the price is the same :)

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
Re: Foam & other custom storage solutions - Discussion & Examples (pics welcome!)
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »
Hey, I am planning on using Mantis Model Storage Cases on kickstarter for getting good foam cases.  They have a lot of sizes that seem to be perfect for these miniatures, like the 60 miniature tray for the small enemies, and the 40 miniature tray for the tall heroes and later on tall small enemies.  I am not too confident though I am getting the sizes right, so if you guys have any ideas on this or help, that would be awesome. (:
Did you end up buying the KS or not if not have a look at the feldherr solution that is cheap and it might do the trick and it a proven brand.

KJGrenadier

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
  • all the board games! :D
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
Hey, I am planning on using Mantis Model Storage Cases on kickstarter for getting good foam cases.  They have a lot of sizes that seem to be perfect for these miniatures, like the 60 miniature tray for the small enemies, and the 40 miniature tray for the tall heroes and later on tall small enemies.  I am not too confident though I am getting the sizes right, so if you guys have any ideas on this or help, that would be awesome. (:
Did you end up buying the KS or not if not have a look at the feldherr solution that is cheap and it might do the trick and it a proven brand.

I did, and after a lot of measuring of the base game miniatures, I realized neither the 60 infantry nor the 40 infantry tray were large enough to hold MYTH miniatures.  The bases of the heroes and minions is 30mm already, with captains and mini-bosses at 45 and Bosses at 60.

I ended up getting the 36 heavy infantry tray for my heroes and small guys, the bike tray for my captains and mini-bosses, and the 100mm pick and pluck for my bosses.  All the miniatures contained in the apprentice level with add-ons fit perfectly in 3 boxes, so I am excited to receive them. (:

All in all, MYTH miniatures are definitely not on the 28mm or 35mm scale (more like 40mm), but my purchase worked out well. :D
I love people. 
I love board games. 
This seems to work well. (:

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »
Good to hear. I just bought a few trays from feldherr. As by default of Wayland the trays arrived just fine but the no base foam as it was not on stock they removed that from the order so I now have just the compartment but no base so very useless :( But the foam it self seems really good especially for the money. I got a few half size trays and for around 6 euro per trays (+ 60 cents for the base) it is very nice indeed. So if I am going to receive any Myth I can try to fit them in but it going to take a long time before that happens :(

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
Finally got everything, save for the sksletons that they are out of, put into storage.  It's not as elegant as I would have liked but it works well enough for my needs.  I'll post pictures later, as I have a 16 month old who wants, more than anything,to play with the figures as I am trying to do this.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
For those painting your minis, Sjeng got Mantis to create custom Myth loadouts in foam:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932371889/mantis-creations-storage-for-zombies
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Mykalson

• Apprentice
  • Serendipity: +7/-1
  • May you always find water and shade.
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
It would be awesome, if shipping weren't that high. The huge set (which I think would probably not even cover double captain and the expansions) would cost about $260 shipped.

It is much cheaper to go with Feldherr cases. If you spend over $200, you get free shipping to US and Canada, $60 will get free shipping to the EU.

For $216 shipped, I got about twice as much foam (575mm which is basically the Mantis huge set, plus a second boss tray, plus 600mm equivalent of full-size trays of random foam), 10 115mm full-size tray boxes, a transporter bag (holds 5 115mm boxes or 4 150mm box) and a full-size tray hard case (holds 280mm foam).   You'd have to spend over $500 with mantis to get the equivalent. Even then, it would be minus a lot of boxes and other excellent storage & transport options.

Archer FTW!

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Shipping is keeping me out of it too.  Making the decision of storage vs more myth vs DF game tiles...storage lost out.  I'll have to solve that problem before July though.  (Another reason the KS was going to be a problem for me.  trying to get my GenCon travel package done.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.