Author Topic: 3d Player Board  (Read 5159 times)

Joshua

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +5/-21
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
3d Player Board
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »
When I first heard that the spot where the character token would pop out so that the token wouldn't slid around, I thought that maybe it would be the same for the spot where equipment cards go. It seems at least at this point that wont be the case. I've considered a few different options. The cheapest would be to glue the boards on top of another piece of board and cut out the area where the cards go. A more expensive option that I considered was having laser cut wooden character boards made. They would also have indention where the "blood" and "threat" tokens are tracked. I also thought about extending the board to hold each characters action cards in place as well. I wonder if MERCS considered doing this, and if not, if it is still a possibility of doing 3d character boards?

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: 3d Player Board
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:45:49 AM »
This sounds sounds really intriguing. Double layered boards are always nice, but doing them by yourself can get tricky.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
MERCS primary concern would be playability.  Anything that would be designed to hold tokens/cards in place probably wouldn't be the best idea for tokens/cards that were being moved around, or swapped in and out.  The reason it's no big deal for the character icon in the upper left is that you put it in once per game and don't touch it afterwards.  For all the other cards and tokens, it could be a hassle if they were falling into slots designed to prevent them from moving.  Every time you'd need to move your threat and or blood token, you'd be trying to pry it out of some slot it was in.

It would probably look neat, but I'm really questioning the value of the functionality for gaming purposes, which could be a major detractor for the fun factor.

Joshua

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +5/-21
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
MERCS primary concern would be playability.  Anything that would be designed to hold tokens/cards in place probably wouldn't be the best idea for tokens/cards that were being moved around, or swapped in and out.  The reason it's no big deal for the character icon in the upper left is that you put it in once per game and don't touch it afterwards.  For all the other cards and tokens, it could be a hassle if they were falling into slots designed to prevent them from moving.  Every time you'd need to move your threat and or blood token, you'd be trying to pry it out of some slot it was in.

It would probably look neat, but I'm really questioning the value of the functionality for gaming purposes, which could be a major detractor for the fun factor.
That's more of a design issue than a function issue. All you would have to do is put a thumb sized slot at the bottom where each card goes so that you can lift them easily. I would rather have a bit of trouble getting a card out of a slot than making sure my cards don't slide all over the place. One game of Zombicide and I was tired of trying to keep cards in place on top of player cards. This game requires even more cards, and tokens on top of that.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
Playing several boardgames with loads of cards/tokens, I must say the hero-board looks pretty organized.
I don't foresee much problems with counters and cards moving all over the place, unless you play on an incredibly small table.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Z-Ray

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »

I would rather have a bit of trouble getting a card out of a slot than making sure my cards don't slide all over the place. One game of Zombicide and I was tired of trying to keep cards in place on top of player cards. This game requires even more cards, and tokens on top of that.

In my opinion the real failing for Zombiecide is the experience tracker being attatched to the inventory card, I've made seperate experience trackers and It realy cuts down on card bumping frustrations.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:28:57 PM by Z-Ray »

cgrater

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
This is a bit of an old post, but now that Myth is getting into people's hands, I feel like it is worth reviving with a couple of suggestions for keeping the player boards intact during table bumps etc.:

(This assumes you are comfortable modding/altering your player boards and some tokens).

Step 1: Get some sleeves for the item cards.  (Optional: cut a notch in the top of each sleeve to make inserting and removing cards easier.)
Step 2: Glue a sleeve to each item slot on the player board - slide inventory items into the sleeve and they will stay put until you remove them.  I personally recommend cutting the notch to make deliberate removal easier.
Step 3: Get some rubber non-slip appliance feet (something like these), cut them to size and stick them to the backs of your HP/Threat trackers.  They will make the tracker tokens easier to pick up and move, but harder to slip and slide.

The card sleeve trick also works *great* for zombicide.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »
Custom cut a piece of super thin, clear acrylic with depressions and beveled edges.  The depressions keep the stuff in place, the bevels make sliding them out easy, and the clear acrylic means you can stack in on the existing board. :)

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
I've been very happy with the hero board design now that I've used them for a number of games.

Even with that said, it hasn't stopped me from at least sketching out plans for a deluxe wooden board.  That will be so far down on the build list, I can't imagine ever getting to actually attempting making it.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

SHYdesign

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
  • "Here We Stand"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:40 PM »
I've considered a few different options.

cool idea. This is actually one of the first custom projects that I would like to tackle with my MYTH game as well... I like the playerboard well enough, but my biggest gripe is loosing track of vitality and threat when the inventory and item/equipped cards slide around or accidentally pushed... I'm thinking magnets (though it would take quite a few)... but it could work.
I'm gonna us me broadswward

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
I've considered a few different options.

cool idea. This is actually one of the first custom projects that I would like to tackle with my MYTH game as well... I like the playerboard well enough, but my biggest gripe is loosing track of vitality and threat when the inventory and item/equipped cards slide around or accidentally pushed... I'm thinking magnets (though it would take quite a few)... but it could work.

You can buy cheap rare earth magnets at the hardware store.  Combine with cheap black sheet magnets for backing the markers.
Cut a hole in the (existing) player board and fit the rare earth magnet in.  Take the cutting, scrape the printed portion off the top and glue it on top of the magnet :)