Author Topic: Summer Blockbusters  (Read 3086 times)

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Summer Blockbusters
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
So, this summer looks like it's going to be another chock full of cinema-filled goodness. I know I'm looking forward to Man of Steel, Kick-Ass 2, Pacific Rim, and others. What about everyone else?
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
Re: Summer Blockbusters
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:33:24 AM »
Kick-ass 2 sounds good. I'll look forward to that one.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
A friend and I are supposed to go see it together. Mainly because her girlfriend doesn't like movies with too much blood, and lets be honest Kick-Ass had it's fair share of it.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:12 AM »
Pacific Rim...god that movie looks awesome. Man of Steel, too.

I still haven't seen the new Iron Man or Star Trek movies..my girlfriend has been out of town for work for...jeez nearly 2 months now.

Also, RED 2, The Wolverine, 2 Guns, Elysium, Riddick, and Machete Kills.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:13:37 AM »
It's a real pity I never get to the movies.  :'(

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:24:26 AM »
Both Iron Man 3 and Star Trek are amazing.

I forgot Red 2 Was coming out. I am really looking forward to Riddick. The Wolverine I'm not so sure about. Well all know how Origins went.

And OMG I just watched the Elysium trailer and that looks AMAZEBALLS!

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »
There's a reason it's called The Wolverine and not x-men origins: wolverine 2.
They appear to have understood origins wasn't great (though I still enjoy it. I don't think it's great, but it's fun.) and claim to have done things differently this time.

I'm looking forward to it. Trying to find time to go see Iron man 3 (I'm a huge marvel geek).
Man of steel, not so much. Never did like Superman.

For the rest pacific rim and kick ass 2 are high on my list.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

trumby

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »
I don't really care much about Man of Steel but will be seeing it since Superman is my girlfriend's obsession. Really excited for Pacific Rim and Elysium. The World's End (the new Edgard Wright movie) looks really good.

I didn't even realize Kick Ass 2 was coming out this summer to be honest, I loved the first one but very apprehensive about this one.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
You know, it kinda saddens mean people hate on Superman all the time. Yes, he's beyond stupidly over-powered, but that's not what he's about. Superman's story isn't about him, it's about what he represents; hope and the drive in all of us to strive for something better. That humanity can be better. I'm only a partial Superman fan, but love what he represents as a message. I strongly recommend everyone read All-Star Superman. Anyways, I digress.

Kick-Ass 2 actually looks like it's gonna be better than the first and the addition of Jim Carey should be fun.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
The problem with Superman, as I see it, is that there's only so many ways you can see the Kryptonite card played before it gets dull. How many Superman stories go like this: Bad things happen. Superman saves the day. Kryptonite. Superman is in trouble. Superman gets out of trouble (sometimes with the help of friends) and saves the day anyway?

I know this Superman (the Man of Steel movie, I mean) is different, in that it handles the concept of Superman willingly consenting to the judgement of mankind (or at least the US Government), and that's a concept I like, because it goes over a theme seen in the comics often: He has more faith in the human race than they have in him.

Ideally, I'd like to see a movie that kind of picks up where Smallville left off. Clark Kent moving to Metropolis, being Clark Kent during the day and Superman at night. Having a hard time making friends as Clark, having human emotions and feeling unappreciated as Superman. All around ostricization.

Something bad happens. Maybe Lex Luthor tries to kill Superman by laying a trap and it kills innocent people. The people blame Superman, so he gives himself up...because clearly what he's been trying so far as a superhero isn't working.

Word gets out that whatever panel of jurors or government officials is presiding over Superman's judgement is gonna let him go, or go easy on him. Lex Luthor uses Kryptonite to kidnap Superman.

Stuff happens. Luthor monologues about how the master race of kryptonians has no place on Earth.

Someone sneaks in and saves Superman by eliminating the kryptonite. I'd say the new Jimmy Olsen, who's supposedly a girl. Superman escapes...and immediately submits himself willingly to detainment.

Movie ends with him standing before...whoever is to pass judgement on him, and they about to do so.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:49 AM »
Also...I'm tired of the first in a line of super hero moves (or the reboot) NEEDING to cover the backstory of said hero. As with my previous post...some stories we should all just KNOW by now..and Superman is a GREAT example of that. Everyone knows he's invincible, everyone knows as a baby he was put in a space ship that crash landed in Kansas. If you don't already know that, you probably aren't gonna go see the SIXTH Superman movie to hit the big screen.

Just pick a point. Tell a story about superman. It doesn't need to be about how he became Superman. It can just be a story about him.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 04:14:21 AM »
Well, I think they're doing the origin story this time to emphasize his struggle as a human and a Kyrptonian. And the influence his upbringing has on his decisions. I'm kinda interested in the Clark Kent wandering hobo motif they seem to have going from the previews.

Admittedly, I will agree that the constantly needing to tell the origin story is annoying. Which is why, if MoS does well, that Christopher Nolan has said they aren't doing a Batman reboot for JL. Because if you don't know who Batman is, GTFO.