Author Topic: Bought some army painter paints  (Read 7000 times)

RemiBureau

• Archer
  • Serendipity: +27/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
Bought some army painter paints
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »
I'm not much of a painter, I have done some minis about 10 years ago, but was never happy with what I did.  I usualy end up doing too much work on a mini, trying to put tons of details, and in the end, it's either a mess, or barely OK.
Anyways, I was tempted to paint Myth minis, so I've been looking around for Army Painter paints after reading a "4 steps for dummy" tutorial on Myth KS.  I found a board game store in Canada that's having a clearance sale and was fortunate enough to find about half the spray colors I wanted for about 7$ each instead of 17$, and a bunch of "wargamer" brushes for cheap too.

Anyone here with experience with those products?

I still have about 100$ to put on paint so I wanted to know what you guys thought about that brand.
Acolyte - Keeping the Faith since 2015

dbonzai

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Bought some army painter paints
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
I've been researching brands and there are many options that appeal to different folks out there.  For $100, you can do what I'm doing, that is getting the Reaper Learn to Paint sets 1-5. Each comes with 11 full bottles (1/2 ounce each).  I have gotten sets 1,2,3 so far and there are only one or 2 colors that are repeated so far.  Getting the brushes and minis is bonus on top and, working through the instructions has been really good so far for me to start out learning how to really paint minis in a more proper way. My last attempt was about 20 years ago myself and, it was really bad.  If yo go this route, make sure you get the newer versions as they used to come with 5 paint bottles, and 6 color "samples" on a sprue (much less paint). 

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
What product do you use to clean your brushes of paint and ink?  I'd like for my brushes to last at least as long as it takes me to paint my Myth minis, so a few months I guess.

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:21:15 AM »
While I'm at it, what's your painting station like?
what products do you use most?
Do you use a dry or a wet pallet?
Do you use spray paint / color primer for the primary color?
When I mentionned inks, I think it's ink wash, if it changes anything... Is this easy to clean on the brushes?
Thanks, lots of questions, I know

Also, can someone explain if there is a difference between army painter ink wash (small 3$ bottle) and their quickshade cans (aside from having more and being able to dip with the can)?
Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:24:48 AM by RemiBureau »

dbonzai

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »
For cleaning and preserving your brushes, get General Pencil Company The Masters Brush Cleaner & Preserver.

I'm currently setting up still, but I am excited to get my newest addition home and setup, the lighting: LimoStuido 700 Watt Photo Video Portrait Studio Umbrella Kit, 2 x 85 Watt 6500K Day Light Balanced CFL Bulbs, 2 x 33" Black Silver Double Layer Reflector Umbrella, 2 x 86' Adjustable Stand with Carrying Bag, AGG340 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BYQP4U/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only have a dry pallet, but I'd like to try a wet one when I start mixing more paints
I think brush on primer is good and that is what I"m using, white. It came with the kits.

Now, I just need more time to paint :)

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
Do you use the Master brush cleaner and preserver to wash everytime you change color, or only when you're done for tge day? Do you use thinner when you change color?

dbonzai

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »
Water is enough when you change colors and then, at the end of the day you can use the soap.  If you have more then one brush you can alternate them too. 

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
Great, that's what I thought and I found the product you mentioned from the store I will buy the rest of the paint.  So I should only need some cheap accessories after that that I can grab in any local craft store.  I think I don't hve a lot of choice for minis (wargame) stores near where I live, so thank God for the internet.

Anyone can explain the difference between army painter Quickshade cans and their small bottle ink wash?
I'll send them an email and post the explanation if no one knows the answer.
Thanks again dbonzai

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
An ink wash is easily applied with a brush. It gives you much more control on where the stuff goes, even compared to using quickshade with a brush.

The quickshade is primarily for 'dipping'.
You literally dip the model in the quickshade, shake off excess and let dry. (I suggest getting back with a quetip and gently remove any excessive poolings of quickshade after half an hour or so.)
It gives a very shiny finish and really needs a quick spray of armypainters 'antishine'. (Really a short burst from all angles will do)
The glossy finish is very hard and will protect your paintjob quite well.
You can also paint on quickshade, but this will never give you as much control as an ink, due to the think nature of the stuff.
Don't use your good brushes with quickshade!!!

ink:
pro: more control
        easier to apply before going on and do more details.

Quickshade:
pro: fast!
       hard protective finish.
cons: Pooling can ruin details
         hard  to remove from models
         smelly (don't let this dry in the living room).

Overall I would only suggest quickshade if you really want to do the job real quick. It gives okay results but they will look dipped.
Not saying it's horrible (I use it on my ork and goblins army), just decide for yourself what suits you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1b56j_gSI

'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »
Thanks Voivod, I had seen that video, but I was having a hard time finding a similar video for the ink bottles.

Would you dilute the ink in water, or it's ready as is?

Also, if I use the anti-shine matt varnish when I'm done, is that a good protection or should I try to find some other product?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:42:57 AM by RemiBureau »

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
I would also use at least a drop of water+.
I always use some liquititex flow aid in my mixing water, about 1 flow aid to 4 water.
This helps break surface tension. It allows more smoother layers of paint and stops inks from pooling up.
This really helps with inks.

Matt varnish gives less protection then gloss. If you do use matt, give it a good coat first. Then follow this with a light dusting by spraying in burst from about 2 feet away. A think coat of matt will still shine and the dusting (letting some of the varnish dry in the air before it hits the model) will dull this. Be careful not to overdo it or you'll end up with a dusty looking model. If this happens, repeat the whole process.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice Voivod.  If I'm kind of satisfied with my first minis (zombicide walkers), I'll post a few pics for comments/more advice.

It will take a while though cause I don't have the paint yet....

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »
So far, I've primed 10 walkers with Krylon Dual paint and primer in white.  It's been nearly 24 hours, and the primer's still a bit sticky.  On the can, it says "dries in 25 minutes", but it also says that if you want to put on another layer, do it in the first 2 hours, or after 48 hours.
Does this mean I have to wait another 24 hours before basecoating?
I'm thinking the primer is still sticky because of the humidity (about 70% here right now), so I've put the minis under a light to help lower it, now it's at 57%, though the temp went from 68 to 75.  Are those good drying conditions?

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »
I use Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer for my minis, and it generally dries up quickly.  I'm not sure about the "Dual" primer you are talking about, but my Krylon does dry in about 25 mins or so.  The Humidity could very well be the reason for it not drying well.  If you sprayed it outside, and left it outside in the Humidity, try spraying outside, and moving it inside to dry (if your house is closed up from the humidity, anyway).

RemiBureau

• Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
I did bring them inside, I put them in the basement though, so probably not the best place for the humidity.  I decided to paint 5 of them anyway,and let the other 5 under the lamp.  The paint seems fine so far on the painted minis, I'm gonna try and post a few photos tonight when they're dry, but before the sealer.  The 5 unpainted ones are less sticky now after about 4 hours under the lamp, the humidity was down to 50%, so that's good, but it just started raining...