Author Topic: Finally finished Zombicide (and finally took pictures lol)  (Read 3632 times)

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Finally finished Zombicide (and finally took pictures lol)
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Just finished uploading pictures of the zombicide minis that I finished, that was a good number to help ease me into getting ready to paint MYTH haha.

Here is the link http://imgur.com/a/o8fpd

I didnt bother highlighting the walkers and runners since they dont stay on the board long and there are a lot of them. Decided to basecoat and wash them and call it good, but for the fatties, heros and abomination I did different highlights and washes since they are the main characters and all. Plus I wanted the abomination to look intimidating and ready to crush the survivors :D I also painted colors around the bases to make the runners, fatties, abomination, and heroes easy to spot on the board.

When I was done I varnished them and applied an anti shine, then added the blood effects using Tamiya X-27 with some GW leviathan purple and Army Painter Dark tone to make the blood more crimson then bright red. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out and they look awesome on the board haha.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
Re: Finally finished Zombicide (and finally took pictures lol)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:18:57 AM »
I really like the goth chick.
There's something about here skincolour that really ties together with the purple/black on the rest of the model.

What colour did you use on her?
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:01 AM »
Awesome job. Really like the tank/beefy zombie.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
I have to congratulate you on completing it.  Painting a horde of minis is always a big challenge.

It looks as though you attempted a light box in the top few photos, but the photos are kinda dark.  I've personally never had great results with a light box.  Eventually, I resorted to just using a paper backdrop in a room with good natural lighting, and the photos have since been WAY better than they ever were with the lightbox.  (Good natural light is the key, though)

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »
Thanks! It was a lot of work for sure, the most I have painted so far.

I have a home made light box but the camera for the moment is my cell phone lol, trying to find a good camera without breaking the bank to get good shots and for other pictures too. I may just use a white paper like you said, the shading was really hard to remove on some of the pictures.

For the goth girl I used a mix of gw kisev flesh and white to get that skin color. I tried to match the portraits on the game cards with the minis as best as I could for the colors and whatnot. The stockings took some practice (used some dollar store army men lol) with a thin brush and light strokes. I outlined the tears first and then painted out from them, then darkened the tear again after to make them stand out more.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:57:35 AM »
I have a home made light box but the camera for the moment is my cell phone lol, trying to find a good camera without breaking the bank to get good shots and for other pictures too.

If your cell phone is a smart phone from the last 2-3 years, then it should definitely be able to take pics better than those turned out, which further leads me to believe your problem is using the lightbox.

Lightboxes can be a great thing if you have the perfect setup with ideal lighting....but they are terrible otherwise.  Skip the lightbox and take the pics during the day in a room with good natural lighting.  "Good natural lighting" means plenty of incoming light....but at a point in the day when it's not directly coming in.  I have a room in my house that has 3 windows in it, but it gets direct sun light in the morning hours.  If I wait until the early afternoon, the room still has great lighting, but I don't have harsh light coming directly in, so it offers an even light level, which is what a good light box is supposed to do.

If you've got a smart phone with a decent camera, it will suffice just fine.  Just be sure to prop it against something to keep it still so it doesn't shake and blur your pics.  I have an iPhone 4, which is a few years old now...and I've taken miniature photos that are respectable with it.

ced_spectre1

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I think I will go that route next time I setup to take some pics, I am just glad I made the box rather than buying one at this point lol.