Author Topic: Artisan's Painting  (Read 3629 times)

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
Artisan's Painting
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
So... months ago, right after the KS ended, I started planning color pallets for the monster families.  I knew I didn't want to do anything that looked like the box art, just because I'm a creative sort and I dislike copying anyone else's ideas.  Some color pallets were easy, and just required a few changes to clothing colors: for example, skeletons are bone with purple cloth, while the orcs are mostly green with black cloth.  When it came to the arachnids, though, I had a bit of trouble.  I wanted to meet two criteria: they had to be dark and buggy, but also bright, like all dangerous bugs in the real world should be.  I think I've solved it.

Now, these are still very much a WIP, but here's the plan so far: the teal lines on the heads will get smaller when I pop the dark, muddy brown basecoat over them.  The ranged crawlers' poison sacks will be painted the same base color as the melee crawlers' arms, and I'll add a coat of Tamiya Clear Green to them when they're highlighted correctly.  All the eyes will be gloss black with a highlight, and I'm hoping that makes them pop enough against that dark carapace.  I chose the teal on the back of the Crawler ... necks?... because I wanted it to clearly be their "weak spot," even though those don't exist in this game.  The same goes with the Stalkers' teal parts.  Note that The Terror doesn't have much teal: no real weak spot.  The Terror will also most likely have gold accents in order to stick with a separate decision (all bosses will have gold accents, while no other monster classes will) I picked out a while back.
Either way, I'll update as more progress is made to these lil' buggers.
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
Re: Artisan's Painting
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
As for the orcs...  Well, they're a little more varied.  I have a bunch of different shades of dark green on the Grubbers, while the Muckers are blue/green.  Orcneas, Master of Masters will be a pale, pale green and gold accents.  Mostly, they've all got black clothing, but the club-grubs do have a blue sash to make them stand out a little.  When it came to another subset of the Grubbers, though, I just couldn't help myself:

Red, purple, orange, and blue.  And, yes, the eyes are atrocious, and I hate them right now, too.  Also, they look a lot better in person than they do here, but c'mon... ninjas!  I plan to wash them all with a dark green later, as well as put some wear on those blades.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
One last one for today.  I posted it in another thread already, but since this is "my" thread, I figured I'd keep all my stuff in one place.  Here are the pics of the metal hero tokens with fingernail polish added.  All the paints are metallic, so they shimmer in your hand, and the Spriggan is a deep purple to match my CarelessOpossum brand tuckbox.  Also, the Trickster's token "pool" changes in the sunlight, from yellow to pink!  So it's... tricky?  I dunno, I thought it was a good use for fingernail polish my wife bought from Del Sol eight years ago.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
@Artisan  They shouldn't all have the same weapon, though... you'll need to mod them

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »
@Artisan  They shouldn't all have the same weapon, though... you'll need to mod them
And then there's that....  Tiny staffs are easy.  Tiny nunchaku are slightly more difficult.  But tiny sais?  Are you kidding me?  Those are impossible!

I hate you, Reaper geniuses.  >:(

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
The nunchucks are what I'd worry about...  Just me

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
I wholeheartedly approve of your TMNT paint scheme for your grubbers. They're TMNGs!
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
I started painting again after MONTHS of not touching a brush.  I decided that this time, I'd tackle some of the bigger models because the mindless monotony of minion minis was messing with my motivation.  Again, I'm a first-time painter, so take it easy on me, but DO criticize my work please!  These mark the first time I've ever done gradients, magma/lava schemes, even freakin' highlights on cloth and muscle, and I won't get better without some helpful words to push me in the right direction.

Razorfiend, the Abominable

With Razorfiend, I've always thought he looked like Bigfoot.  Since there are already so many earth-toned models in this game, I wanted something different for this KS-exclusive mini.  I went with a yeti, as you can see.  I'm waiting on my Tamiya clear blue to put in his eyes and to hit the protrusions on his furry gauntlet things.

Syclopt, the Goldeneye

Of all my recent paintings, this is the one I'm the least satisfied with.  The colors are all what I wanted them to be, but the mood is just... off.  Meh.  I'll deal with it when I'm done with some other models and see if I learn anything new to apply to the Syclopt.

The Terror with a Thousand Legs

For the Terror with a Thousand Legs, I went with a charcoal palette.  The official colors are too brown for my tastes, and I wanted to have the teal accents reveal the toxicity of the arachnids.  Tamiya clear green makes the eyes and maggot slime really pop after the dullcoat is applied.  Also: first time painting a color gradient for a carapace!

Orcneas, Master of Masters

Orcneas, Master of Masters was actually the first model I painted since I went on hiatus.  I sat down one afternoon and just went for it for 2 solid hours, and this is what happened.  I chose to have him be a pale orc to reflect his age.  I'm still toying with the idea of putting Tamiya clear red on his axe blades.  Good idea, or no?

Urulok the Young

I know.  I know.  Urolok is a YOUNG dragon.  I get it.  But I couldn't resist trying a magma scheme for the first time, and he was just sitting there, begging for it!  Again, when my Tamiya clear red gets here, it'll go on his eyes and claws to make them pop a little more.  He also hasn't been dullcoated yet, so should I use a satin or semi-gloss instead?