Author Topic: Other family-friendly games  (Read 11363 times)

Shawn the Stalwart

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Is it January yet?
    • View Profile
Other family-friendly games
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »
It seems there's a lot of us picking up Myth as a family game. I thought it might be a neat idea to talk about other good family games to pass the time / make your wallet hate you more. I'm thinking of skipping games like Monopoly, Sorry, etc. and focus on the more...hobbyist?...kinds of games.

I'll start by suggesting Small World. Nothing like Myth, a lot more like Risk, but with different races and powers etc. This is probably the first game we've bought where my 9 yr old daughter asks on a regular basis to play it.

CHADD

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Brigand
Re: Other family-friendly games
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Definitely second Small World. My kids love it.

If you are a fan of co-op games, and since you are here I assume you are at least interested, I would suggest Forbidden Island.

Beautiful family friendly co-op game by the designer of Pandemic. You play a group of explorers trying to find four treasures and escape the island before it sinks. Very good introduction to co-op play and works for young kids as you can handle the more complex parts of the game and there is minimal reading skill required.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:40:53 AM by CHADD »

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »
3rd vote for small world being awesome, although I haven't actually played it with my family, only with friends.

I'm still an old school hero quester (in case I haven't mentioned it), so that fills the void for fantasy/miniature games.  I'm a huge fan of nice clean mechanics, and this game was great for that.

The original Dungeon by TSR or Talisman are others I'm hoping to introduce, although I don't expect them to see much play once MYTH comes out.

----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Another game similar to Myth but done all with cards is the Order of the Stick Board Game. It's based off the insanely popular webcomic which is a D&D satire that turns into a super awesome story. If you've not read it I recommend it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:03:57 AM by Madclaw »
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Sjeng

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +9/-1
  • Myth Captain backer
    • View Profile
    • Ye Olde Inn HQ blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
Some of my favourites: all co-op boardgames

1.  HeroQuest
2.  Zombicide
3.  D&D fantasy boardgame (1991 I believe), but also all the newer D&D games which I don't own.
4.  Forbidden Island (thanks for reminding me IronSyndicate. Own that game too)

All have miniatures that can be painted and colourfull gameboards. Adds so much to the game :)
All except nr. 4: I bought minis from Reaper for that game :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:22:55 AM by Sjeng »
Myth Captain backer, HeroQuest fan, Zombicide fan, Mice & Mystics lover, miniature enthousiast.

Iron Syndicate

• The Typo!
  • Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
  • Ask me about our specials.
    • View Profile
    • ItaiRose.com
  • Hero: Spider-Man
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
Forbidden Island (and the upcoming Forbidden Desert) is a good, not complex co-op.

It's basically the kid-friendly version of Pandemic.
Typo free since 2015.

Smoothsmith

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
A couple I've found really fun recently are Tsuro & Line Dice. Kinda similar (But different enough to get both!) you have to place pieces that create a path, and try not to end up in any deadly situations (Off the board in tsuro, or invalid path in line dice).

Both are extremely easy to learn too, what with just being placing tiles or dice down to make paths ^^

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
Thanks for these great board game ideas, I've been thinking about getting small world. I have a 4 year old I'm wanting to get into games like this some time. He's a little too small at the moment though.
I'll second, or third heroquest. My first board game fantasy love. Great for families

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
While not co-op, my go to game for family and non-enthusiasts would be Bananagrams. I carry that yellow pouch with me everywhere (in fact I have 2 copies, one in my backpack and one in the trunk of my car)..it's fun, easy to learn, and shows people that board games extend beyond monopoly and scrabble.

For co-op, I love Pandemic, and I've heard very good things about Mice & Mystics, which I haven't gotten to play but plan on picking up once my wallet recovers from my recent KS binging.

I've played many of the newer WotC games (the D&D ones, House on Haunted Hill), and while they're all fun...I dunno if I'd spend the money on them.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Munchkin is a fun card game. 
You co Peter against friends to reach a certain level by defeating monsters. You play traps and stuff on other players and can get all sorts of things to help you out. Quite fun
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:29:01 PM by Beefcake »

Shawn the Stalwart

• Minion
  • Is it January yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
You co Peter against friends to reach a certain level by defeating monsters. You play traps and stuff on other players and can get all sorts of things to help you out. Quite fun

We get a lot of mileage out of Munchkin too. Pandemic is on my "want to play" list but I think I'm banned from buying games for a while. :)

This weekend I'm gifting Castle Panic to a friend and we're playing it. Looking forward to that quite a bit.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »

I have 3 versions of Munchkin, core set, Zombies, and the good, the bad and the munchkin, of the three Zombies is my favorite, since you're actually playing as zombies and the bosses are survivors. Fun take on the zombie genre.

My only complaint about Munchkin is that it requires 3+ players, and doesn't really get good until about 5 people play..rare is the situation where we have that many gamers hanging out when we don't already have plans to play a specific game.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Shawn the Stalwart

• Minion
  • Is it January yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
My friends bought Western and SPace Munchkin, mixed them, and call it Firefly Munchkin. Fun stuff. :)

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:15:48 AM »
I would look at some of your FLGS, I know mine has a game library anyone can play in the shop with.

For family games, I would recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse for Co-ops, it's a card game where each person controls a hero, and you team up against a villain deck that plays itself (at first I was afraid of backing myth and finding it to be too similar, but seeing more gameplay that really didn't look like the case)

I also really like dixit, for all ages. It's like reverse apples to apples, with art.  One person lays a giant oversized card face down and give a clue (can be anything the come up with) Then everyone puts down a card that best fits that clue. Shuffle and reveal them all, then everyone has to guess who the first person's card is. It's a very pretty game and can get very creative, and deep if you let it. Me and my girlfriend have been playing Quarkle a lot too. It's Scrabble for people who can't spell.
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »
Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Castle Panic, Settlers of Catan and 7 Wonders are all solid family games.

Mage Knight, and the expansion, are also quite good, depending on your family's level of tolerating rules.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.