Author Topic: Other family-friendly games  (Read 11362 times)

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: Other family-friendly games
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
Funny you should say that, they are making spaceships for their new game (granted they are sold separately :( ). 

Knowing their ages, I'd recommend King of Tokyo.
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
HeroQuest was (and still is) the daddy! one of the best games ever made, so simple, so much fun! it was a heroquest forum, www.yeoldeinn.com , that pointed me at myth's KS and there's quite a lot of similarity between the games. Myth feels a bit like a modern day descendant of HQ.

xuzuthor

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »
Mice and Mystics is great if you'd also like to read through a story as you play.  The gameplay is fairly simple, but the rulebook should have been organized better (I am fine with how the storybook, which lists off each scenario, is organized).

That just means that you may have to read the directions twice and double check the faq to be sure.

It plays well for families because of the story and the relatively simple options per player (especially if your child chooses a character with simple skills).

Anyway, I enjoy it quite a bit, a nice change from Arkham Horror (my go-to game).

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-1
  • Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: All of em!
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
I just picked up Talisman. It can be a little long but it's simple enough and it's fun. Not co-op though
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.

Mykalson

• Apprentice
  • Serendipity: +7/-1
  • May you always find water and shade.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »

I regularly host board game days at my home; we're in a small town in rural Kansas, so there aren't any nearby game stores. Most of the players are adults, but we have a few 13+ teens that show up from time to time as well. I collect all kinds of games, and here are a few that are favorites. I wouldn't be so quick to cut out ALL normal games, though. Some can be fun occasionally and cheap, too.  I'm listing the games we play most often here divided by general type, then in rough order of frequency.

'Friendly' games: What I mean here is that the object isn't to play your opponents out of the game. You can still be mean if you want.  ::)

-Puerto Rico: perfect game for 45min-2h, depending on player count and expansions used. This game is great for keeping everyone involved.
-Catan with Cities & Knights / Seafarers. I have all the other expansions but other than fish we usually don't use them (slows things down too much)
-Ticket To Ride: nice short game, has some fun expansions/alternate maps. Using the dice speeds things up but people generally prefer cards
-Carcassonne: Game length is entirely based on how many sets you use. Don't always use the entire 'big box' contents or people will tire of it quickly.
-Fortune and Glory: Big, long, 'archaeologist adventurer' game. I like this one a lot. Has a more 'cut-throat' variant in the rulebook as well, but we haven't played it.
-Tikal/Mexica (Rio Grande) These are action-point based explorer games.

Games of a more 'cut-throat' nature:

-Survive: Escape from Atlantis: I have the collector's edition with all the expansions. Don't play this with people with easily-hurt feelings, you will definitely be calling each other nasty names.  ;D
-Risk: the new rules (objective win) are a big hit. Game can be as short as 30 minutes with five players.
-Descent(Fantasy Flight): My players got frustrated with this one due to how difficult it is to beat the dungeon player later on.
-Betrayal at House on the Hill: Survival haunted house game, people start out working together and then one becomes the villain mid-game. This is MOSTLY family friendly, but there's some dark concepts in some of the scenarios. This can be toned down with a bit of on-the-fly-editing if you wish. 

honorable mentions:
-World of Warcraft: The Board Game (fantasy flight) out of print. I think Myth's hero mechanics may be vaguely similar to this one, but it's not story driven at all. 
-Starcraft (Fantasy Flight): This one is out of print so it is hard to get, but IMO one of the more enjoyable games, if you understand the mechanics. Very steep learning curve.
-Robo Rally: awesome race game, but will baffle and frustrate certain people to the point of rage. If you're familiar with computer logic you will have everyone who doesn't at an extreme disadvantage. Many of my players are IT professionals, though, so it works for us.
-Monopoly with variant dice ONLY(we use the Indiana Jones variant). The game plays smoothly and relatively without any house rules that adjust required payouts. DON'T ALLOW FREE PASSAGE, EXTRA MONEY OR REDUCED RENT. If you're paying for your rent with property, property must be at least face-value for the amount owed.
-Avalon Hill's Risk 2210 AD - crazy complicated, fancy version of classic risk. Big learning curve here, too.
-Timber Tom - It's almost impossible to get this game now, so I almost didn't mention it, but it is one of our favorites. Race game where you climb mountains, collect bags of gold, plant and remove trees. Extremely unique game design.
-Bananagrams - simple word game with no scoring, can also be played with scrabble tiles. We use this as a palate cleanser between 'real' games or at the end of the day when we're too tired to pull out another big one, but not tired enough for me to kick everyone out.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:05:56 PM by Mykalson »
Archer FTW!

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
I've heard mixed reviews from Puerto Rico.  I am interested in trying but not interested in picking it up if I come to dislike it.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »
I've heard mixed reviews from Puerto Rico.  I am interested in trying but not interested in picking it up if I come to dislike it.

I've played Puerto Rico once.  It is often compared to other Euro-style resource management games, such as Settlers of Catan.  I had a decent time playing it, but my biggest complaint is that it tries to do way too many things.  Every round, there's a lot of different phases, and each one of those phases almost feels like it's own individual game.  Sometimes those phases feel like they have very little to do with the rest of the game.

Mykalson

• Apprentice
  • Serendipity: +7/-1
  • May you always find water and shade.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
I think Puerto Rico is one of the most elegant eurogames I've played. Tang's right, it can seem very busy at times, but that's only until you have a few games under your belt, then it just seems natural. The 'phases' he mentions are roles each player chooses, and they're all quite important to the others. Skillfully managing these jobs is how you win, and the difference between a novice player and an expert is how well you anticipate what's coming up next and preparing for it properly. This becomes far more evident when you play with the expansions, but it's just as important with the base came IMO.  I suggest reading through the BGG board or watching a play video if you're really interested in it.

I can't speak for every group of players, but it is extremely popular with mine. I got the game less than a year ago and we've probably played it over 100 times. It's several of my players' favorite game, and it's the only game I own that we haven't ever 'burnt out' on. It almost always gets at least one play every game weekend, and often two or three plays.

I think it's the kind of game that should be in every game enthusiast's collection, and I highly recommend you try to get a copy of the collector's edition, as the expansions add a lot of depth to the game. That being said, it's not particularly easy to get the expansions; right now there's one available on eBay for a surprisingly low price, but they're out of print. The limited Anniversary Edition is also out of print and very expensive at the moment( I bought it new at launch for $90, $175 for the lowest one I could find today. When I bought it, it was cheaper than getting the regular expansion) and the prices I see online right now for the standard version of Puerto Rico seem a bit steep. Amazon had it for $18.99 all the time a few months back when I checked for a friend and now it's almost $30.

If you're on the fence, I'd see if you can get a used copy for under $20 on eBay or borrow one. That way, you're not likely to be out much money on resale.
Archer FTW!

Titeman

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
My family likes Mice and Mystics and Talisman...

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »
My family likes Mice and Mystics and Talisman...

Is that some kind of cross-over expansion? Sounds complicated. ::)
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »
Mice and Mystics is a separate game. But I've heard good things about it.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

KacyCrawford

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »
Mice and Mystics is a great game for family

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
I just got the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and it's great! Similar to other co-op adventure games but a decidedly pen and paper rpg twist and all done with cards! Really recommend picking this up.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
i played pandemic http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic last weekend, nothing like myth of course except that its a cooperative game. very difficult to win!
quite addictive too. would recommend it!

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
My four year old loves Mice and Mystics.

My pathfinder cards will finally arrive from preorder on Wednesday.  I don't think it will be quite as family friendly though.  I actually bought that for solo play.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.