Author Topic: Group synergy combos  (Read 2674 times)

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
Group synergy combos
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
I'm curious what you guys think of this idea.  I sent the below email to the Myth guys.  It's inspired by group synergy combos in MMOs.....specifically Skillchains+Magic Bursts in Final Fantasy XI:

This email is directed for Brian mostly, since it deals with Hero mechanics...which he is responsible for, from what I understand.

There are a lot of exciting things happening with Myth, and it really looks like its going to fill a particular void I've had for a long time in my gaming.  I recognize a lot of the influences from other board/miniature games, RPGs, and even video games.  It's pretty cool how effectively you guys have managed to incorporate the concept of threat/aggro into a board game, and it doesn't appear to be overly complicated.  Things like that make me anticipate the game a lot.

While thinking about the influences from MMO games, I got to thinking about a mechanic that was immensely fun in Final Fantasy XI.  It was called skill-chaining.  The idea was that each character had a variety of weapon skills (based on their chosen weapon), and each of those weapon skills had a certain elemental affinity.

When grouping, if you used the correct weapon skills in succession (and timed correctly) it would proc an added elemental effect.  It didn't end there, however.  The magic users could then cast a spell aligned with that element to create a "magic burst" (again, if timed correctly), which enhanced the effects of the spell.  Other MMOs have used various combo systems in combat, and they are ok, but none have been quite as satisfying as FFXI's skillchaining + magic burst system.

Why is this relevant to Myth?  I've played a variety of boardgame RPG/dungeon crawls, and I've always wanted a way to incorporate the skillchaining system into combat.  However, the elegance of the system is that its based on timing.  Most of these types of games are turn-based, which just doesn't work well.  Myth's simultaneous hero activation presents an ideal scenario for being able to incorporate something inspired by skillchaining.  These could be abilities added to the decks that if played in a certain order before the darkness activates produce a grand effect.  The abilities hold on their own, but when used together...produce amazing effects.  It really promotes the teamwork aspect of the game.

I'm sure instead of the elemental affinity, it could be a fate affinity, based on the different aspects of the fate die.

This also brings to mind the idea of abilities that would be specific to a weapon type.  However, that may be tricky if the existing weapon sets aren't already labeled by type (sword, axe, bow, etc...).  It would add a layer of character development that could be quite satisfying though.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys get fan ideas all the time, so take what you will from this.  I'd just appreciate that you guys read the idea.  Skillchaining was a lot of fun in FFXI, and seems like it could work in some way within Myth's framework.

Have a great day

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Re: Group synergy combos
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
Sounds like something that could work as future expansion for advancement.  Just add synergy cards that can be added to hero decks.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:51:09 AM »
Sounds great and fun. Definitely improves replay ability and helps encourage groups to grow together more. I like it. I agree with Myth, though that cards added to decks would be the simplest way to implement this.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »
there was/is a similar mechanic in lord of the rings online (haven't played in years)
certain classes could set up a combo, other classes could activate a combo. when a combo was activated all members of the group got a big wheel on the screen and could choose one of 4 colours. depending on what colours were chosen (and what order) a different effect could occur, if everyone chose red for instance it was a massive hit to the target, if everyone chose green, everyone got a big heal. something similar could happen in myth but with everyone rolling a fate die and then the results of that having various effects. i appreciate that it would be a mahoossive results table .though.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
@Tott - yeah, most MMO's had/have some sort of combo system.  I always enjoyed the system from FFXI the most, due to the chaining of weapon skills and spells together.  You could also keep chaining weapon skills together provided you had enough players and a target with enough HP (and players competent enough to make it happen, which could be quite rare at times).  There was also a character class who was supposed to be more specialized with weapon skills than others, and that class could sometimes combo with themselves - it was quite the spectacle!

@Myth and Mad - adding new cards for these abilities is precisely what I thought too.