Author Topic: Grey....it's not just grey.  (Read 4497 times)

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
Grey....it's not just grey.
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
I'm not a great painter...but I am really good at putting off painting my minis. However my friend is a very talented artist, and his talent has translated over to mini painting. While talking about painting a predominantly grey army we went over the concept of "warm and cool greys".

Basically, there are warm colors and cool colors, as depicted in this graph:

Grey, having many shades, aslo has warm and cool versions:

Greys on the left are warm, on the right are cool. The idea here is that you want to pair warm colors with cool greys, and vice versa, otherwise you create a monochrome effect. So when picking your type of grey, keep in mind the colors it is going with...once you know the difference between warm and cool greys, you should be able to spot them without any difficulty.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Johnnys65

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youngevity
  • Hero: Browncoat
Re: Grey....it's not just grey.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
So you're telling me that Eeyore is cool? I agree!
Natasha Romanoff: This is just like Budapest all over again.
Clint Barton: You and I remember Budapest very differently.
TELL me you can't hear Zoe and Mal saying this!!

hawk

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »
I realized this one day when I was trying to color a picture of my grey cat (colored pencils on black cardstock). I was using cool greys and couldn't figure out why it always looked weird, then I realized it was because she had more of a brownish/reddish tinge to her fur and I changed to warm greys and it came out better! Yay for art!
something something typo

Lucerian

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +11/-1
  • (Insert witty comment here)
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster/Skald
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »
Thanks Wunupkid for posting this. It is a simple thing for a lot of us who have studied art at some point to throw out...but even then it is a simple concept that can be forgotten. Like Hawk pointed out...we can sometimes see a problem but not be able pinpoint it easily. I like the big black line down the center of this chart as the one I have on my wall doesn't and a quick glance I can lose my objectivity on the color wheel.

Anyone looking at your painted figure going...hmm whats wrong. Try and think what shades of primary colors you put on there..and if you dip on top of that it could look crazy odd.
It's a typo...