Author Topic: Update 94: Trust & Patience, or: How I Learned to Get Out of the Way and Let the  (Read 14581 times)

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
Signing the lithos is probably one of the few things Keith would have been able to do AT the hospital, if that's where he has been.  Bringing a stack of paper to sign doesn't take a lot of effort, its just time consuming.  Typically, with hospitals, there's a lot of "hurry up and wait", so I imagine he'd have time.  However, I don't think anyone should care if those had to wait until Wave 2.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
If it is just the first shipment, it would be the base games, sleeves, coins, metal mini's and battlefoam inserts. I believe that was what was listed as "in the empty warehouse" at the end of January (Update #93). From past postings, Merc's said they orderd 12,000 base sets. That they take up 2 containers, I would hate to be the one unloading those, and turn around and pick orders to ship them out.  :o

Unloading containers isn't a big deal. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two per container even without forklifts of any kind. But there's no lifting involved..it's not like they're hauling boxes out by hand..they have pallet jacks and unload the containers by the pallet.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Also, remember that the vast majority of the orders will be of one or two 'types', so something like 'we're going fill basic captains today' should speed things up.

I just did the math and pledge levels account for $611,775. That leaves $314,337 worth of add-ons. That seems like a lot of add-ons that need to be packed in with the basic pledges.

Yeah, but I'd say a HUGE amount of that extra is going to be in the second shipment (which I think WILL be complicated). 

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
Yeah, that second shipment is going to be an absolute nightmare.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
Signing the lithos is probably one of the few things Keith would have been able to do AT the hospital, if that's where he has been.  Bringing a stack of paper to sign doesn't take a lot of effort, its just time consuming.  Typically, with hospitals, there's a lot of "hurry up and wait", so I imagine he'd have time.  However, I don't think anyone should care if those had to wait until Wave 2.

that sounds like one of the most dangerous and stupid things a man could ever do!

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile

that sounds like one of the most dangerous and stupid things a man could ever do!

I know your response was a joke, but....as much as everyone would think the husband would be sitting right by a wife's side, attentively waiting the entire time they are at the hospital....the fact is, if you are there for days on end, there's downtime.  Your wife would appreciate you being in the same room, just in case she does need you, but that doesn't mean you need to smother her.  Bringing in "work" to keep yourself occupied when nothing is going on isn't that uncommon.  There's only so much comforting a pregnant woman can get before she needs some breathing room.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
Uh... Tang, I'm going to disagree with you.  My wife and I are expecting our first in about 8 weeks, and I plan to be by her side every single moment, except in the event of an emergency with the baby, at which time I'll be with the kid.  We're planning on going through labor via the Bradley method, which involves husband-coached childbirth.  I cannot tell you exactly how much work I've had to put into this whole pregnancy because of the Bradley method, but I can tell you that I've drafted 3 or 4 birth plans, come up with hypothetical scenarios that we might face during labor, and even practiced how I'm going to help my wife relax during a medication-free birth.

Every birth is different, though.  My wife and I know that she's going to need me to support her verbally, emotionally, and physically during ours.  Maybe Keith's wife won't need his constant attention, but even so, I don't think that work should even be on his radar.  He should be paying attention to his family.  I don't know what Keith and his wife are planning to do, but I know that for me, personally, my involvement as a father has started with me being a good husband since the beginning of the pregnancy.  And with the way most births are done now, you're in the hospital for 2 days tops, unless there are complications.  If there are complications, then Keith will probably not have any down time.  If there's 2 days in a hospital, there's also probably zero downtime, especially if you live near family and friends who will be anxious to visit the little one as soon as possible.
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
Speaking from experience, yes there are a lot of times when you need to be right there, but there's also a lot of 'I'm tired and want to get some sleep'.

Mostly though, the 'free-time' comes afterwards, when you're in the hospital for a few days just to make sure everything is ok, she's exhausted, the baby is sleeping (or out for testing) and you're... just there in case anything is needed.

My advice, bring a book, or your laptop.

OTOH, don't bring a big pile of collectors items.  You'll be moving rooms frequently, and you need to be keeping up with all her stuff as well as your own, and it's a hospital, and well babies are messy.

Also, you don't want to mail out MRSA to your entire fan base.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
Yeah, my wife even bought me a book I could read when she went into labor the first time.

Didn't read one page. She was very inconsiderate  :P.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Eric the Unready

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-1
  • Sling me some Hero-juice!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
If it is just the first shipment, it would be the base games, sleeves, coins, metal mini's and battlefoam inserts. I believe that was what was listed as "in the empty warehouse" at the end of January (Update #93). From past postings, Merc's said they orderd 12,000 base sets. That they take up 2 containers, I would hate to be the one unloading those, and turn around and pick orders to ship them out.  :o

Unloading containers isn't a big deal. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two per container even without forklifts of any kind. But there's no lifting involved..it's not like they're hauling boxes out by hand..they have pallet jacks and unload the containers by the pallet.

I work in a warehouse with both forklifts and pallet jacks, so I understand how easy it is to move pallets around. But the thought of moving about 48 skids by pallet jack alone, to then turn around and start fulfilling orders seems like a lot for one day. Just sayin'  :D

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
It sounds like their current hope is to have the containers delivered and unloaded today, and then do some trial runs of packing orders over the weekend.

Also, you don't want to mail out MRSA to your entire fan base.

This! Working in a hospital, I can tell you I don't want my litho hanging out in one. The staff on the floor work very hard to keep things clean, but you still have lots of sick people in a single building.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:30:21 AM by Fade2Gray »
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile

I work in a warehouse with both forklifts and pallet jacks, so I understand how easy it is to move pallets around. But the thought of moving about 48 skids by pallet jack alone, to then turn around and start fulfilling orders seems like a lot for one day. Just sayin'  :D

Why are we even still discussing this???

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273940/

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte

There's no reason they'd start fulfilling orders the day they unload, but I can't see it taking more than a day to unload both containers..that's the easy part. It's not like they're pulling boxes out of the truck container by hand.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
I'd say they'd have to do a bit of a stock take of what has arrived as well before fulfilling orders.

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
If they are smart, and I believe they are, they will, at minimum, break down the pallets to verify the shipping manifest is accurate.

Opinion brought to you by: 20 years retail, 6 of which managing a receiving department for a top 25 Sam's Club.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.