Author Topic: First attempt thread  (Read 18321 times)

ScorpioRage

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: First attempt thread
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »
Yeah, I really liked the look of the Legion of Everblight, the major reason why I decided that they'd be my army, so I tried to keep the scheme, but make it a little more purple to make it seem like bruised more undead flesh. Really wish I had a better camera. Also, thanks. xP

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
I have everblight as well, I gave them a different paint scheme though, red skin and brown bone plates.

ScorpioRage

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
You should post some pics somewhere, I'd love to see. I was thinking about giving them an inverse paint job (Light/Dark Grey Skin, with White/Light Grey Blue Blight) But I decided against it, since it was my first paint job I decided to go with what had been proven.

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:14 AM »
That was a first paint job? Wow I'm impressed. Also the Mice and Mystics link was incredibly helpful, after seeing how expensive painting can me (and still not sure I'd paint anything beyond MYTH) It's reassuring to see you can still get good results and have fun at the same time.
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »
Here's on of my everblight dudes. I painted this a few years ago and my painting has improved a bit since then.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/beefcake/P1080513.JPG.html
I don't use this site for my photos anymore. Switched to photobucket.

ScorpioRage

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 03:14:13 AM »
@Feel: Yep, that was my first. I've worked with paints quite a bit before, but never on models, so mixing and getting the consistency wasn't a issue, which that seems like the problem that most people have when they're starting out.

@Beef: Damn those things look gruesome. Seems like their flesh got flayed off.

Gathar

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
These are my first and only miniatures I have every painted.  The warrior was one from my very first batch I painted.  These have been sitting for some time hence the dust on them all though it fits to the look I was going for w/ the dirt and rusting.  The Nightbringer I must have painted had repainted at least 6 times wanting to have it like they show on the box but my skills just are not there.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:39:18 PM by Gathar »

hawk

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
The only minis I've painted are the ones from Super Dungeon Explore and I never finished all of them. I'm actually stripping down a few of them to re-paint in light of the tips from the painting for noobs thread, but I can take a picture of a few of the ones I finished to post here.

----
EDIT: Here are my pictures

They are completely horrible and, as I said, I'm going to be stripping and repainting most of them. I didn't finish painting most of them, due to various things. Most of these are finished, except i didn't finish the chains/armor on the bear and I didn't finish the "crystal" spawn point (the purple one).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:53:51 AM by hawk »
something something typo

ced1106

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
Well, don't strip the red dragons! They look pretty good. You might want to add detail to them (eg. shading) later on, after you have some more confidence and experience. Show 'em to a bunch of girls and see what they think! Squeee.

It doesn't look like you've washed the chests and those skull things? Washing can dramatically improve how a "flat" basecoated paintjob looks. Search on various "miniature painting dipping" tutorials to get a better idea of "before and after" photos of basecoat and wash (dips aren't washes, but works similarly).

Personally, whenever I can, I will wash after *every* coat of paint, including after the primer. This builds up my confidence quite a bit, since the miniature will look "right", rather than "flat". Also, rather than basecoats, I prefer to glaze (thin layers of paint to show paint underneath) so I build up shadows as I paint, rather than add them after basecoat. Unfortunately, this works best on terrain and bad guys, since the model will look "dirty" afterwards.

hawk

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Cthulhu Fhtagn! r(;,,; r)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »
Well, don't strip the red dragons! They look pretty good. You might want to add detail to them (eg. shading) later on, after you have some more confidence and experience. Show 'em to a bunch of girls and see what they think! Squeee.

It doesn't look like you've washed the chests and those skull things? Washing can dramatically improve how a "flat" basecoated paintjob looks. Search on various "miniature painting dipping" tutorials to get a better idea of "before and after" photos of basecoat and wash (dips aren't washes, but works similarly).

Personally, whenever I can, I will wash after *every* coat of paint, including after the primer. This builds up my confidence quite a bit, since the miniature will look "right", rather than "flat". Also, rather than basecoats, I prefer to glaze (thin layers of paint to show paint underneath) so I build up shadows as I paint, rather than add them after basecoat. Unfortunately, this works best on terrain and bad guys, since the model will look "dirty" afterwards.

Well, I am a girl, so I'm not sure what showing the dragons to other girls would accomplish for me, but okay? And, yeah, I didn't wash anything, I didn't even prime these, it's just straight acrylic paint. I didn't even thin the paint. I literally had no idea what I was doing when I painted these, which is why I'm going to be stripping and redoing them.

I might try the washes for the chests and spawn points, though I'm trying to figure out how I can make the spawn points "glow"... I kind of want the eye sockets of the skulls and the cracks of the rock to look like they're glowing with arcane energy or something like that, I'm just not sure how to accomplish such a thing. And I didn't do any kind of shading/highlighting, I figured, "It's a 3D figure. It will make it's own highlights and shadows in the light." but I guess I was wrong on that.
something something typo

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »
I bought a copy of SDE and some paint the day after I placed my Myth pledge, wanting to get some experience with painting while I wait for Myth to arrive.

This little guy was my first attempt:

My minions so far:

The half-a-dragon that I'm working on:

Still have a lot to learn, and plenty of mini's to work with and improve on, but I am not displeased with how it is going so far.

Lucerian

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +11/-1
  • (Insert witty comment here)
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster/Skald
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 01:50:57 AM »
 :D @CarelessOpossum Looks great with the work you have done so far.
It's a typo...

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
I think they look great.

Iron Syndicate

• The Typo!
  • Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
  • Ask me about our specials.
    • View Profile
    • ItaiRose.com
  • Hero: Spider-Man
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how I can make the spawn points "glow"... I kind of want the eye sockets of the skulls and the cracks of the rock to look like they're glowing with arcane energy or something like that, I'm just not sure how to accomplish such a thing. And I didn't do any kind of shading/highlighting, I figured, "It's a 3D figure. It will make it's own highlights and shadows in the light." but I guess I was wrong on that.

Search for "Object-source lighting" tutorials, they teach you how to make stuff glow.
Typo free since 2015.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
This is one of my goes at source lighting using red.

Fr the dimmest part of the lighting I mixed brown (the colour the lighting is meant to cover) with red so the brown had a tinge of red in it. I painted that over the entire eyes. Then I added more red to the mix and painted that over but in a smaller radius around the eye working in towards the centre, then jus red in an even smaller radius around the eyes. Then I put a small dot of red mixed with white in the centre of it and then a further dot (I think) of pure white to make it look glowing.

I also picked out some areas where the light would hit in the brown red mix, like the teeth.

This is my avatar pic as well if you hadn't noticed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:30:40 PM by Beefcake »