Author Topic: First attempt thread  (Read 18255 times)

Patrick, The Researcher

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • I am Lord Twinkington
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
First attempt thread
« on: April 27, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
I made this thread so people can share their first attempts at painting and get feedback.  Here is three views of my first attempt, it is a mortar army man painted blue and white be gentle...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_lD0dS-YDWqaXlNWGRxVDlJOE0/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_lD0dS-YDWqWFBkOTBoN2pFRUU/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_lD0dS-YDWqTDJwWFlpcmtLdWM/edit?usp=sharing
I respect but do not fear the murphy bat.

Patrick, The Researcher

• Captain
  • I am Lord Twinkington
    • View Profile
Re: First attempt thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Robert, if this is too off topic can you move it to off a different area..

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »
You've made a good start, the painted areas are nice and confined to the regions you want painted. What sort of paints do you have? I would recommend getting some quality paints, Vallejo or games workshop, especially getting some washes which are basically like heavily thinned paints. Before washes were available to purchase though you would just get some paint on your brush and dip it in lots of water to make it very runny. If you try this with a darker skin colour, maybe a mix of flesh and brown, thin it on your brush a lot and brush it over the skin area it will create a shading effect by moving into all the crevasses. You'll need to practice this a lot though. Otherwise just practice practice practice. That's the best thing to do so your off to a great start.  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:35:59 PM by Beefcake »

Patrick, The Researcher

• Captain
  • I am Lord Twinkington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
I'm using the only two pots I have gw blue and white waiting on a reaper ltpk1 I need washes and will order those after I get some recoup from the KS. I'm surprised I got such a nice review I have a fine motor delay so very unsteady hands. Thank you!

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Unless this thread has already been moved I think that you'll be fine. I can think of no better place for painted figures than the paining sub-forum. Anyway these look pretty good though it is a little harder to see their coloring against that background of that tablecloth. Perhaps if you use a more neutral base and a white background it would be a little easier to see. It could just be me though. I don't exactly have a large breadth of experience to drawn on here.
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Patrick, you don't need to break the bank buying paint brands like GW and Vallejo if you are JUST starting out painting.  Using these paints will NOT make you a better painter as a beginner.  You can use cheap brands like you would find at Walmart (Folk Art and Apple Barrel) and your results will look just the same while you go through the long period of learning techniques.

Right now, you need to focus on learning techniques:
- basic brush control
- Mixing colors
- if you are beginning, dry brushing is a good technique to use for a while, but you'll eventually want to move unto more advanced highlighting techniques
- shading/highlighting
- thinning paints to get better color blending
- there are a lot more techniques as well, but these are enough to get you started

The reality of it is that you will have to go through a lot of miniatures before you get really good at these techniques (it's good you are practicing on cheap army men).  While this is happening your finished paint jobs likely will look poor to mediocre (they do for nearly everyone going through the learning process).  In time though, as you get good practice, you results will improve and you'll look back at your first 'x' number of miniatures having a good laugh, while being proud of how far you've come.

Do you really want to spend that time using expensive paints such as GW, when you could get the same results and learn the same techniques using other acrylic paints that are much, much cheaper?

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
I don't know the brands you are talking about thetang, are they made for miniatures. I wouldn't go for them if they are basic craft paints even if I was starting out painting. Craft paints tend to be quite thick and can leave a mess on your miniature if you are not careful. Saying that I have no idea what these paints are like so they may be perfect to start out. Just don't get thick tube paints. I used to when I was a kid and it got covered a lot of the detail. I guess if you are painting on something you have no care about it could be good just to learn about mixing colours?

By craft paints i mean like for canvas or pottery painting etc.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »
I don't know the brands you are talking about thetang, are they made for miniatures. I wouldn't go for them if they are basic craft paints even if I was starting out painting. Craft paints tend to be quite thick and can leave a mess on your miniature if you are not careful. Saying that I have no idea what these paints are like so they may be perfect to start out. Just don't get thick tube paints. I used to when I was a kid and it got covered a lot of the detail. I guess if you are painting on something you have no care about it could be good just to learn about mixing colours?

By craft paints i mean like for canvas or pottery painting etc.

They would most certainly be considered "basic craft paints" by many people in the miniature painting hobby (but they aren't the thick ones like intended for Canvas painting).  They are basic acrylic paints, just like the premium brands that the hobby promotes so much.  The Folk Art can be a little thicker (not nearly as thick as Canvas painting), and the Apple Barrel would be a little thinner.  Neither of them is drastically different than GW, however.  They are both an acceptable consistency for applying paint on a miniature.  They are also about $0.50-1.00 per bottle, compared to $3.00+ for something like GW.  On top of that, the bottles are about 2-3x as large as a GW pot.  When you figure it out, the GW paints are about 6-7x more expensive per volume.

I painted the following mini using these "basic craft paints" (mostly the cheaper of the 2 brands I suggested, too):

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »
The color! The highlights! The sheer Beauty! :o *Faints*

Edit- Is it just me or does that model have huge thighs and a very small waist?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:18:24 PM by Auctorium »
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
That's great. I stand corrected. Still, go for the thinner paints then Patrick.

Patrick, The Researcher

• Captain
  • I am Lord Twinkington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 05:26:10 PM »
Well now I've got some thinking to do thanks guys.

ScorpioRage

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
My camera is dead currently, but as soon as it's charged I'll post up my first attempt. I think it came out pretty darn well, but I'd love some feedback.

ced1106

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
I've been slooooowly using craft paints more on my miniatures (I mean, paint sand on a base with hobby paints??? :D and have seen mini's done well with crafts. I drybrushed some Mansions of Madness mythos monsters with metallic craft paints and painted some HeroQuest Chaos Knights with craft metallics and am fine with the tabletop results.

I've been advocating Reaper Learn to Paint Kits to learn how to paint (and not stress out about what colors to get!) and, of course, they come with hobby paints. Personally, as an "experienced n00b" I think new painters need every help they can get, and hobby paints help do this. However, a high quality paint brush (eg. Winsor and Newton) and a DIY wet palette FAR improved my painting more than hobby paints would.

Also, the Mice and Mystics site has a *good* tutorial for craft paints, which should come in hand when painting MYTH arachnid figures:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/138

Still, compared to how much money I've spent on mini's (before KS), the amount I've spent on hobby paints is small in comparison ($75 over three LTPKs), especially since I've learned so much from the LTPKs. (You can certainly learn from videos and webpages -- I needed more handholding!) I think I've spent just as much on non-hobby paint supplies as I did hobby paints. Also, 1/4 of a $3.50 eye dropper of Army Painter Quickshade has lasted me 50+ miniatures.

Anyway, keep painting. It's more important that you do it, then how you do it!

ScorpioRage

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »
So this was painted using some of my fathers old Testors (That were super dry when I was finally able to get them open), using whatever brushes were laying around the house, without a wet-palette (I know better now).
http://imgur.com/81A0Svj
http://imgur.com/CXieJVS
The light does a great job of wiping out what I was trying to do with the flesh in those pics...
http://imgur.com/TiLX7Ki
http://imgur.com/SAn5lBl
The last one is probably the best picture of showing what I was trying to do, with the darker purples in the indentations of the muscle.

Also feel free to ignore the messy room behind the figure. xP

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
That's great stuff scorpiorage. I really like the privateer press everblight stuff and you have done a good job at keeping to their paint scheme. I like the mouth as well. Very cool