Author Topic: Rampant Hunter Hero Mechanics and Speculation thread  (Read 7149 times)

Dan the Skald

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +19/-1
    • View Profile
Rampant Hunter Hero Mechanics and Speculation thread
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »
Well, many of us just picked ourselves off the floor. As the title suggests, lets get to work discussing what mechanic will make this hero unique.

First off, I believe we have found our second ranged hero, based off of the graphics released. That being said, I think we can all agree that the Archer will still remain the only one who can shoot any target at range (lob shot).

I think I see alot of heavy damage to single targets, however this could be melee/range split. Hopefully, there will be enough difference between the Hunter and Archer this way.

No way to know what interesting deck mechanic is in play here.

Very excited, obviously!
You aren't non-descrip-gender enough to handle the poetry in the Tavern!

KJGrenadier

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
  • all the board games! :D
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
Re: Rampant Hunter Hero Mechanics and Speculation thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
My current thought on this is:  I LOVE MERCS!!!!  Thank you, be back in a few hours.
I love people. 
I love board games. 
This seems to work well. (:

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
I'm going to guess he'll use some sort of rage build up mechanic similar to the archer's arrows, but more bursty. Something that would require him to use all of his built up rage at once, rather than a little at a time like arrows.

Second wild guess: his resource will be called "spite."
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
I'm also guessing he'll be the same alignment as the soldier, have two weapon slots, and a 'shoot, move, stab' combo/card.

Shoot once per space at -1 per move taken in a straight line, ending when you run into something (then stab it +1dmg), or you miss.  Choose your targets.  Carve through a host of enemies to the lair and stab it.  Dive sideways across the map sending up a flurry of bolts.

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
I'm gonna disagree, Fade.  I can see this guy needing to generate "rage" ( for lack of better term ATM) constantly to keep damage high.  Stop attacking, lose your edge.

I may be wrong.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »
I'm gonna disagree, Fade.  I can see this guy needing to generate "rage" ( for lack of better term ATM) constantly to keep damage high.  Stop attacking, lose your edge.

I may be wrong.

That is my least favorite mechanic ever..... too bad it's so popular :/

LaserJudas

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »
Well FINE!! I'm going to live with Mother!!   >:(

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »

I may be wrong.

I can actually imagine a way that could work. Certain cards would would have the "rage" key word (similar to the faith key word). After they are played they would be moved up to what I will call the "rage quiver" at the end of the hero deck phase. During the next cycle any card that is buffed by the hero's rage will benefit from the number of rage card in the "rage quiver" (this is somewhat similar to how faith is counted but not expended). During the next hero deck phase all rage cards are removed from the rage quiver and are replaced by any rage cards played during the preceding cycle.

This may not quite be the building rage mechanic you were talking about, but it would provide incentives to constantly stay active in the fight. One slow turn would mean you would have less rage available for the next turn. More actions means bigger bonuses to stay active the next turn.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
At the end of your turn, if you did not play any rage cards, discard all rage cards.  If you did, turn the first rage card you played over and leave it in its slot.

All action cards get some sort of benefit out of rage.

LaserJudas

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Exactly, Fade. You need to play Rage, but also need to 'ride the wave' of increased effectiveness vs Threat.

Dan the Skald

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
Yet, with all that rangey goodness, comes his ability to mix it up a bit in melee. I don't mind the dual class approach, and using the daggers already in the item deck makes sense.

I wonder though, if crossbows are included in the expansion item decks. Otherwise, they would need to send some item cards along with the mini.

I wonder if any attack would trigger the mechanic some of you have suggested? It's certainly intriguing. I see him as a mid-range fighter with the ability to shift to close and long on occasion. I don't see him hanging around long though. Not based on the armor we see and the melee weapon. Quick strikes and get out, similar to a Brigand - but probably a little more staying power.

Any guesses on base vitality?
You aren't non-descrip-gender enough to handle the poetry in the Tavern!

LaserJudas

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
6.  Or 500.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »
6.  Or 500.

See, I was gonna go with this

The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

LaserJudas

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 12:23:59 AM »
Why 11?

...because it's one more.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Instead of a "Rage" mechanic, I would rather see something that centers on how focused and driven the Hunter is. He cares not at all about anything but killing creatures of the darkness.

Keyword: Discipline

Whenever a card with the Discipline keyword is played, the hero may draw a card. This allows the Hunter to cycle through his deck faster, and cherry pick the important cards he needs to get the job done.

Hunter specific items would increase hand size, and/or the number of cards he can bank from one turn to the next.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.