Author Topic: Help me understand the quest system  (Read 3749 times)

dkartzinel

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Help me understand the quest system
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
Alrighty, we've gotten in our first couple games of Myth, and holy cow, I am not disappointed!  In fact, I headed over here because the whiners at BGG were depressing me, and their experiences do not at all match the fun I am having with what is easily my new favorite game. My wife, a non-gamer, played yesterday for four hours with me, of her own choice!  It was super fun. 

Quest Draws and Story Quests
So, I've basically been DM'ing our adventures (so she basically just needs to know how to handle her character), and I'm having trouble understanding exactly how the quests work.  We were doing Act 1 of No Rest for the Weary, and here's what I ran into:

1. Do you just skip drawing quests when you are doing a story quest?  I assumed not, but I was curious.

2. How do you make a quest drawn work with your ongoing mission?
-So, we drew a quest (again per the rules) when we entered the first 12x12 tile.  We got the Get Tactical quest, which actually kind of fit with the story.
-This quest gives us 3 fighters with 5 vitality each, but provides no information on movement, attack patterns, or courage.  It says they kill 1 minion adjacent to them, which sounds like they don't roll (which doesn't usually happen in this game).  So, do they just pop up and never move?  Or is their ally card missing from the rulebook?  I made a quick DM decision and we played them as having two moves, autokilling minions, but not being able to harm captains.  Also, can you give them an anti-venom potion to use?  I, being a goodhearted brigand rat, decided to share so that one of them wouldn't die of poison (and possibly so we could get the awesome reward for keeping all three fighters alive.

Bonus non-quest questions: For the burrow ability of the captains, do they exchange places with as many minions as necessary?  They only roll fate dice if they can't attack anyone, right?  I didn't see any other use for the fate dice for them.

3. We decided to play the last two tiles as a a unified 6 x 12, which the rules say always includes both a quest and a trap (among other things). 
-my first draw of the Quest was For Glory and Honor, and frankly, this one just didn't make any sense with where we were in the story quest.  I just discarded it and drew a new quest (since we're not at an inn!).  Is that what I should have done? 
-redrawing we got the Weaver's Need, and this one sort of worked, so I kept it.
-Do you have to collect all of the web tokens before clearing the tile?  I understand that when you clear a tile, all heroes receive double movement, threat and ap are reduced to zero, and uncollected chests turn into 1 gold each, but what about the web tokens?  Would it be an auto-fail of the Quest, or is the assumption that we slaughtered all the minions and collected the webs leisurely afterwards.
-once we finish the act, do we just decide if we want to proceed down the Weaver's Need quest chain or continue to the next act?

Free Questing System
1. I understand if you are not doing a story quest, you draw an act quest, but why do we have act quests that chain into non-existent quest chains (so the Abbey's Coffers references the Common Laborer, which...well...isn't in my copy. 
2. Similarly, the Drums of the Wold references a Go Away Violently Quest chain...which is missing.

So, what are you guys doing when you run into those acts/quests?  Any idea why were the full chains not included?  Hopefully the negative people at BGG don't notice, otherwise shouts of incomplete game (no matter how much is actually in the box) will resound.

Bonus question:
The green item Wand for the apprentice says it gives him +1 attack, does that mean he just makes a normal 1 damage arcane attack as if he played the attack card without taking up an action slot?  Or does it duplicate an attack card you played (I would think this is overpowered if so)?

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: Help me understand the quest system
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
The wand just generates +1 damage to your current attack.

Those quests that are missing quest chains will have to wait for wave 2 shipments when we get more quests. Kinda annoying that you need more product, but oh well.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Slade

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
I'm still struggling through, but here's what I've found.

1)if you have to draw a quest for the tile, you draw at least the minimum amount of quests. It must be a C story card of the appropriate point in the chain.

2/3) rules are open to your interpretation - if you're big into story, I'd say feel free to discard. Or take the story provided for the card and adapt it to fit the situation allowing the same spawns. Your call. Allies I'm still trying to figure out myself.

4) haven't free quested yet - are the Act quests in the extra booklet that came with wave 1? You could leave the first step in the chain in the quest deck, then when you draw that just set up the next part in chain instead of the first one.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
1) Mercs have said that you can use an active quest in place of a required draw.

Missing quests are extremely weird.  Presumably what you do is remove them from the deck and just add them back when you get them.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »
Bonus question:
The green item Wand for the apprentice says it gives him +1 attack, does that mean he just makes a normal 1 damage arcane attack as if he played the attack card without taking up an action slot?  Or does it duplicate an attack card you played (I would think this is overpowered if so)?

From the megacon forums:

I noticed that the Wand green loot card gives "+1 Attack," but I can't find what that means. Does that mean if the Adept has a slot open then can play another attack action? Do they pick up the dice for the attack they just did and roll it again? The Adept deck seems to indicate the second...

Yamato's Answer with Kenny's confirmation in bold:

My reading of this says that you get to preform the attack again. The Apprentice does not have many cards that call for him to attack with his primary item (most are spells that use is cup, or other Arcane item in the secondary slot). As of now he only has the two "Attack" cards in the deck. It uses the primary item,... (enchanted twig, wand, etc). The wand would allow you to resolve the "Attack" card twice when you play it (roll two separate attacks) Yamato's answer is correct

So yeah, you get to make two attacks - but only when using the "attack" cards that use "weapon". Everything else he has uses the offhand item, so you wouldn't be able to use the fate recipe on the mainhand (or the dice), I believe.

I would assume you would get to choose a new target within range and all that for your second attack.

Sounds nifty, but wouldn't happen that often.. Have to play one of your two basic "attack cards", choosing them over your other nifty spells for your action, and roll the proper fate symbols.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:12:15 PM by CarelessOpossum »

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
We've just house ruled that it adds +1 damage instead.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »
Yamato's Answer with Kenny's confirmation in bold:

My reading of this says that you get to preform the attack again. The Apprentice does not have many cards that call for him to attack with his primary item (most are spells that use is cup, or other Arcane item in the secondary slot). As of now he only has the two "Attack" cards in the deck. It uses the primary item,... (enchanted twig, wand, etc). The wand would allow you to resolve the "Attack" card twice when you play it (roll two separate attacks) Yamato's answer is correct

So yeah, you get to make two attacks - but only when using the "attack" cards that use "weapon". Everything else he has uses the offhand item, so you wouldn't be able to use the fate recipe on the mainhand (or the dice), I believe.

I would assume you would get to choose a new target within range and all that for your second attack.

Sounds nifty, but wouldn't happen that often.. Have to play one of your two basic "attack cards", choosing them over your other nifty spells for your action, and roll the proper fate symbols.

And that raises more questions - what constitutes a viable "Attack" card.  Is it literally just the card called attack, or any card that requires you to use your weapon to resolve damage?  The reason this is relevant is that other characters could potentially equip the item.  Why not have the Soldier or Brigand equip it?  They have lot of cards that could be considered "Attacks" in addition to the card titled "Attack".

Eric the Unready

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-1
  • Sling me some Hero-juice!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:17:45 PM »
2. In the Myth "vanilla forums" it is stated that the fighters do not move. They just stand around and wait to be rescued, auto killing 1 minion a round as the players choose.  ::)

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
Heh, or the Archer...  Rules taken literally, you just need the ammo cards, not a bow.  Imagine dropping an orion's tears on this and then doubling up....  Mow stuff DOWN :)  (but only after the lairs go away... you don't want to get 12 threat on a round and then draw a darkness).

Although realistically, the Arrow cards should say 'requires bow'

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »
My latest run through of The Silent Minstral ended with the archer having no bow.  He us Orion's tears twice.  I imagine he went all ninja and started stabbing all the adjacent crawlers to death with arrows.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.