Author Topic: Rampant Hunter Hero Mechanics and Speculation thread  (Read 7152 times)

Kooris

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Hunter Hero Mechanics and Speculation thread
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
I've hopped on at the $40 level ($56 because I'm one of the many unfortunate internationals!) just so I don't forget about it later on. I reckon they should easily hit some interesting Myth stretch goals though, maybe a few new heroes or agents (I don't know the mercs universe well so there could be other things they could throw in too).

To be honest I think this new hunter might play similar to the archer but with more of a focus on single target- big hit attacks against the biggest thing on the board. They might even throw in some trickster elements like tripwires to hamper foes.

Though the only way we can really find out is for Mercs to make the deck overview video. Get to it Mercs!  :P

Dan the Skald

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
After looking closer at the Hunter, I realized that he wears the white collar ring that is associated with people of a certain faith. We have seen these in others in the game, namely some of the allies.

Having this knowledge, an earlier comment about FAITH may not be far off. I don't think he will act the same as the Acolyte but perhaps faith will interact differently for this character.

OR this could all be cosmetic and it simply ties the character to the theme of 'Vampire Hunter/Van Helsing'

Just something to stew over as we are presently 100K away.
You aren't non-descrip-gender enough to handle the poetry in the Tavern!

Dan the Skald

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
Well we got some more facts from the recent Recon Update.

I suppose this is round 2 of the speculation thread.

Hunter

I was going to wait and talk about the Hunter when we unlocked it... but backers have begun to request it so I can give a preview.

The Hunter is a hybrid ranged/melee Hero. He does NOT share the Archer's LOS special ability. His deck mechanic is pretty cool. He plays Ongoing "mark" cards. If the Hunter kills the mark the mini is placed on the card and he receives big attack bonuses to killing the same monster-types. He can double up his bonus with another mark card.

Regardless, when the Hunter marks a monster-type, other monster-types have bonuses to hurt him. The Hunter can dump the Ongoing card like the Apprentice. As he grows into Journeyman and beyond, he can mark more than one monster-type.

The Hunter was created as we designed the dual-wielding game mechanic last year (he dual wields)

I am very excited to put this hero on the table. The thread I started and have been battling through over at BGG was a plead for Myth backers to go for the Myth Pledge in recon for this Hero specifically. There has been varied responses, some nasty and some reasonable. I am thankful the message got through to the MERCS team.

Here is hoping the doldrums of the campaign are ending and we can get back to unlocking stretch goals.

ANYWAYS! DUEL WIELD!

LaserJudas

• Steve the twice smitten
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +69/-20060
  • Man, people CANNOT take a joke!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »
That's enough to get me for $40.  I doubt I'll go all in for Recon.
I think Duncan looks like a tiny little girl.

But, seriously, my excitement for this game grows with each passing week.  Like a fetus.

What I'm telling you guys is that I'm pregnant with MERCS' baby.  I hope it's a tailless.

Dan the Skald

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for that, I would like to be using this guy before my birthday (Feb).

I like the melee and range mix. This will be very interesting to see how he hangs in there for soaking damage if he is going to mix it up in melee. I had a good discussion with someone at BGG and they were worried that the Hunter was going to overlap into the archer. This was before the reveal today.

The Archer maintains her special role (no LOS) while the Hunter will be able to really mark and nuke the dangerous targets. I hope he moves quick because he will need to circumvent around a group to get a shot. Also, I could see him punching through a thin line with melee to take a shot at a big target. Perhaps he can follow a Soldier through a line breach. Ug, what a combo!

Anyone else waiting, or is your imagination sparked enough?

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »
I was already in for the Myth level from the day they posted it. This info just confirms my faith that MCG would give us something special. The last few day have had me a little spooked about the campaign's prospects, but I'm still fairly confident that we'll get there.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us

Dan the Skald

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »
Nothing can kill our optimism! So let it be done.

Wonder if the Hunter has any parry or dodge cards? In what percentage to the overall deck?

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »
Hmmm, so the hunter sounds like he's got a bit of the favored enemy mechanic from the d&d Ranger class. I like that.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

Dan the Skald

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
Aaaaaaand.....it's in the bag! Now we wait for the update.

Sir Wilhelm

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
  • Apprentice Pledge
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Soldier
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
Aaaaaaand.....it's in the bag! Now we wait for the update.

Next stop, Infected!
'If you want something, sometimes you have to take a risk. But if you really want something, then you have to be willing to risk everything.'