Author Topic: Occulus for facebook  (Read 2211 times)

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
Occulus for facebook
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:14:35 AM »
So have you heard that the occulus rift that raised a few million on KS has now been sold to facebook for  $2,000,000,000 (2billion)
Thoughts on this?

http://kotaku.com/oculus-kickstarter-backers-are-demanding-refunds-1552041702

Having not backed it myself I don't really care and really just hope it will make the product sell cheaply. I understand backers feeling on being taken for a ride but isn't this what kickstarter is about really? The backers gave this project the lift it needed to get underway and it has skyrocketed from there. Having looked into this product I definitely thought it is the new way for gaming etc and they would have eventually either made a truck load more cash from it or gone bust when another company developed something similar but better. Really it's just moved on a lot quicker than people expected.
If I had backed it, yep I'd feel a bit miffed but as long as I got my product I'd be happy in the end.
I think some people are just confusing the whole backing thing with investing.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
Re: Occulus for facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:17:50 AM »
First off, full disclosure: I don't have a Facebook account, and I bought one of the first 3D TVs when they came out.

I think this was a boneheaded move by Palmer and the gang, for the simple fact of - Facebook isn't a gaming company.  It never has been, and it never will be.  Social media games are the equivalent of playing a tabletop game with that one guy who is always texting on his phone and not paying attention: you spend too much time waiting for him to catch up when it's his turn.  Do you think you'll be able to play a game without asking a few dozen friends to help you rush the growth of your cabbage or whatever?  If you've read Notch's comments about why he pulled Minecraft, you'll see that he pretty much nailed it.  He also briefly touches on how Facebook and its security flaws in the past make this acquisition a bad idea for anyone concerned about their privacy.  What was once a device for a single player is potentially a device for sharing information about location, likes, and dislikes.  And lastly, do you think you'll be able to boot up an Occulus now without a Facebook account?  I don't think so.

In other news, I hear Sony's 3D headset Morpheus just doubled in popularity overnight.  I'm sure there's no relation.
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:56 AM »
To me this would be much like Mercs selling Myth to Games Workshop.
I have a love/hate relationship with that company, as do many.

With Mercs I expect Myth to be taken well care off. It's their baby. I'm expecting nice new models and rule support.
With GW I would expect proce gouching and rules to sell more models instead of rules to make the game more fun.

In short; I wouldn't like it.

That said: I really can't blame anyone for selling their idea for 2 billion. That is so much money. It changes everything. All financial troubles and insecurities erased in one blow? I'd sign up for that.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »
That is so much money. It changes everything. All financial troubles and insecurities erased in one blow? I'd sign up for that.

Actually... it's $400 million in cash up front, and $1.4 billion in Facebook shares.  Also, the company is expected to work just the same as it did before Facebook owned it, so it's not like they sold the idea and tech and can just retire.  Occulus' team still has to work as part of the terms of the deal.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
Okay, still though....
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
It doesn't mean much to me.  The company now has more funding than it did before, so hopefully they can get the product finished (it isn't released yet, if I'm correct...and the Kickstarter ended quite a while back).  Sure, FB will have ultimate say in how things go, but it's not like know more about this technology than the guys creating it.

I really think Zuckerberg is seeing that Facebook's popularity is waning, and being a wise business person...is trying to invest in other up and coming technologies so that the Facebook brand will continue to have appeal in the forms of other products, since the website is slowly fading away.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »
Maybe we're over-thinking it.  Maybe ol' Mark is trying to think inside the box this time - literally!  Maybe the future of Facebook is reading books via a box on YOUR FACE!!!  Man, oh man, is Kindle gonna be pissed!  :P