Author Topic: Smoothsmith vs Painting  (Read 2815 times)

Smoothsmith

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Smoothsmith vs Painting
« on: April 02, 2014, 03:56:04 AM »
Well, I don't have any images, and won't get Myth for months, but I wanted to ask a question to do with painting..

So I have some painted Zombicide mini's, and I decided to give the 'dip' method thing a try with army painter quickshade (strong). The mini's have come out looking pretty cool (Though I think for Myth I'll be applying it by brush ^^) but some bits (In particular the underside of some of the bases) have ended up being 'sticky' and don't seem to be drying any-time soon. This is a bit of a pain as I don't really want them to stick to the board and make a mess of that!

Any suggestions on clearing the excess off the bottoms without messing up the rest of the work done?

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
Re: Smoothsmith vs Painting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:15 AM »
Never had that problem with dipping. Are you sure you are wiping/wipping enough of the excess off?
Are the thick patches/drops?
In that case I suggest coming back about an hour after dipping and removing excess with a q-tip.

I normally don't dip my models untill the underside of the base is covered, but you might want to put the upside down or on their sides for a good 48 hours and see if that helps.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:19:17 AM »
You could also go back and add a coat of regular paint to the bottom, just so that it covers the stickiness of the dip.
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

Smoothsmith

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:33:07 AM »
Never had that problem with dipping. Are you sure you are wiping/wipping enough of the excess off?
Are the thick patches/drops?
In that case I suggest coming back about an hour after dipping and removing excess with a q-tip.

I normally don't dip my models untill the underside of the base is covered, but you might want to put the upside down or on their sides for a good 48 hours and see if that helps.

Well, I was shaking them hard enough after dipping that my arms been hurting the last 2 days ;) I didn't wipe the bottoms though, so I'll be sure to have some kitchen role on the side to clean them off straight away for future ones. They didn't seem particularly thick/drop-like patches, but I'll have to look when I'm home this evening. I don't know what a q-tip is but if wiping them off doesn't work I'll look into that ^^.

Covered with what? =P I had them on their sides for a day & a half and still had the problem, which is what confuses me a little as the rest of it dried in that time easily, maybe it'll fix itself given a few extra days - a week.

You could also go back and add a coat of regular paint to the bottom, just so that it covers the stickiness of the dip.

Seems a good plan, I'll go with that if a little extra time doesn't work ^^.

--

Thanks guys =) I'll get some photo's of my horrific paint jobs at some point for your viewing pleasure in thanks for the comments  ;)

Eric the Unready

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-1
  • Sling me some Hero-juice!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:06 AM »
Q-tip: Is the brand name for cotton swabs in the US. They consist of a small wad of cotton wrapped around one or both ends of a short rod.  :D

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
It's a brand name? I just thought it was what the things were called.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Warsong

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »
yes sir, its a brand name just like xerox or asprin.  though it has become to be used for any generic cottonswab.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Smoothsmith

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:05:51 PM »
Its' a while ago I did these, but figured I should update this topic =). Done using pretty much just the Army painter starter set (And some army painter colour primers)

Crawlers!

Santa's Little Orces

The Almighty Yardu (Seriously, I think even if you poured random paints over him he'd come out looking like a badass)

Giacosmos

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:45:26 AM »
Get the information you really feel that it is very interesting in terms of disseminating information on good tunes, then stick the web to see the primacy.