Author Topic: Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest  (Read 61976 times)

ThreeBallStall

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:28:32 AM »
So, for you 80's kids out there, who has played/still plays these games? I grew up playing Heroquest and currently acquired Advanced Heroquest (random dungeon generator FTW) and I can't get enough. Currently the only game holding me over until Myth releases. So....who remembers these classics??

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-1
  • Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: All of em!
Re: Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
Never played Advanced HeroQuest however I have played and still own HeroQuest as well as The Return of the Witchlord and Kellar's Keep expansions. I am actually starting to paint HeroQuest as I just finished Zombicide S1. I absolutely love  HeroQuest it is without question the game that got me into miniatures gaming! Will always have a special place in my heart
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:16:56 AM by RIDERpestilence »
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.

The Voivod

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:13:47 AM »
Heroquest is the game that starter it all for me as well. I have every expansion that was produced in dutch.
We still played it occasionally, but I've managed to get Advanced HQ from e-bay a few years back and use it as a weak excuse to paint every monstermodel I like/start new armies.

One of the reasons I got into myth is because I'd like to take the role of adventurer for a change.
Since I'm the only one with a real grab of the rules I end up playing the Gamesmaster every time.
'Torture first, then talk. It's better that way. Rush a torture, ruin a torture.'

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:17:29 AM »
Same here. Never played AHQ. I think I said it elsewhere. I just bought HQ again recently for $50 NZ money. In it was Return of the witch lord and Kellars Keep! So I was quite happy with that. I also have Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar. Can't wait for my son to be old enough to play it too. Id like to see Advanced Hero Quest though.

Shawn the Stalwart

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Is it January yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »
HQ got my ball rolling as well. Never played AHQ. Just recently me and a buddy were talking about getting another copy of HQ, I strolled into a FLGS and saw Descent 1st edition. Board game hobby/addiction rejuvenated.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 08:01:51 AM »
HeroQuest was how I was able to get my entire family to play a fantasy adventure type game.  We played a weekly game of HeroQuest for quite some time, playing through all the expansions.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed in Advanced HeroQuest when it came out.  Not sure why the HeroQuest name was attached to it (other than wanting the free marketing).  It didn't resemble HeroQuest in the least.  It did have a lot of great ideas, but the mechanics were nowhere near as elegant, and after just a couple sessions, my family lost interest.

Years later I took what I liked from Advanced HeroQuest to create house rules for HeroQuest, allowing the clean rules set from HeroQuest to be used with just adding a bit of depth.

To this day, I still lurk around Ye Old Inn, a website of dedicated HeroQuest fans, and it was through there I first heard about MYTH and it got my attention.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
HQ got me into the hobby a long time ago too.  I painted up all the Heroes, made a few custom Heroes as well, and painted a lot of the bad guys.  I never played Advanced HQ, but it wasn't until years after it was out of print that I even knew it existed.  By then I was more heavily into the hobby and playing other miniature games, so I never had much of an inclination to worry about it.

I'm hoping that Myth will bring back some of those same feelings of adventure that I experienced with the original HQ.

ThreeBallStall

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
Heroquest is the game that starter it all for me as well. I have every expansion that was produced in dutch.
We still played it occasionally, but I've managed to get Advanced HQ from e-bay a few years back and use it as a weak excuse to paint every monstermodel I like/start new armies.

One of the reasons I got into myth is because I'd like to take the role of adventurer for a change.
Since I'm the only one with a real grab of the rules I end up playing the Gamesmaster every time.
I am one hundred percent with you one that. I actually just starting playing solo AHQ just so I could have a crack at the heroes, as I too am always the gamemaster and it gets kind of dull once the heroes have weapon skill over 10 and a toughness of 12.

DCF

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
There's an advanced heroquest!?! :o

I had the main game, kellar's keep, return of the witchlord and elf's quest expansions. I also made my own modules for a time before I started playing pen & paper rpgs. I still use the miniatures for gaming.
-DCF

C. William Ferguson

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
Like some of the others in here, Heroquest was my first foray into miniature gaming. My dad would run the levels, while my brother and I would try to make our way through. What was funny was my dad would hide the DM booklet in between games so my brother and I couldn't figure out where the traps and enemies were going to be in upcoming rounds.

Z-Ray

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
Wow! Everyone seems to have started with Heroquest...me too.

I got Heroquest for my 11th birthday almost exactly 18 years ago (13 days to go)
It's what got me into gaming and modeling in the first place, I even saved up the microscopic amount of money I used to make delivering papers to buy the ogre expansion.

Sadly all the models from my original game have been sacrificed to different GW armies over the years.
I've been trying to find something similar for years, thought I had it with Super Dungeon Explore but then I found Myth.

My new years resolution was to get rid off all the hobby clutter from games I don't play, so anything that hasn't been out of the cupboard by new years day 2014 gets bundled off to TradeMe (NZ eBay equivalent)

I have been doing preemptive strikes on thing I know wont be used - so twilight games Zombies (and 3 of the expansions) has been sold to make room for Zombiecide 1, 2 and expansion (yes I've been busy on kickstarter) and my half-painted Super Dungeon Explore will be finished and sold to make room for Myth.

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »
I'll be keen to see what sort of stuff you are selling z-ray, I take it your a kiwi too then? Where are you from?

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »

I had the main game, kellar's keep, return of the witchlord and elf's quest expansions. I also made my own modules for a time before I started playing pen & paper rpgs. I still use the miniatures for gaming.

Advanced HeroQuest is a COMPLETELY different game than HeroQuest.  About the only similarity is that it has a barbarian, elf, dwarf, and wizard.  HeroQuest was a cooperative effort between Milton Bradley and Games Workshop.  They came up with a simple family friendly game utilizing miniatures expertise and loose background fluff from Games Workshop, to go along with MB's marketing inroads to actually reach a wider audience.

After the main game and first 2 expansions, the two organizations parted ways.  MB put out the poorly playtested Elf and Barbarian packs for HeroQuest, while Games Workshop wrote a whole new game and called it Advanced HeroQuest.  AHQ was actually the precursor for Warhammer Quest instead of resembling HQ>
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

SHYdesign

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
  • "Here We Stand"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
cool thread. Heroquest is my main bread and butter. It was the game that started it all for me. I think I was 8 or 9 when I got my first copy. Being an only child I rarely got any play time out of it, but I was captivated nonetheless by the art work and all those 3-d pieces. Three years ago I picked up a mint copy of HQ off of ebay for under 50 bucks. which is a great deal. and my nostalgia overwhelmed me once I had all those pieces back in my possession again. I have played the hell out of this game with my game group and have even modified it to be more of an actual RPG. sort of a D&D with a lot of the fat trimmed off. But one of the greatest tools for me while revisiting the world of Heroquest has been http://www.yeoldeinn.com/ the amount of official and fan content on this website will astound any HQ fans. and the forum is a great community of people who utterly LOVE this game. So its a great place to let your geek flag fly. I know it might be lame to plug a different forum on this one... but hey! i've known the guy that started this forum... from the HQ forum! so I doubt he'll mind.  :P

...and a shout out to Sjeng too.
I'm gonna us me broadswward

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-1
  • Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: All of em!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:56 AM »

Advanced HeroQuest is a COMPLETELY different game than HeroQuest.  About the only similarity is that it has a barbarian, elf, dwarf, and wizard.  HeroQuest was a cooperative effort between Milton Bradley and Games Workshop.  They came up with a simple family friendly game utilizing miniatures expertise and loose background fluff from Games Workshop, to go along with MB's marketing inroads to actually reach a wider audience.

After the main game and first 2 expansions, the two organizations parted ways.  MB put out the poorly playtested Elf and Barbarian packs for HeroQuest, while Games Workshop wrote a whole new game and called it Advanced HeroQuest.  AHQ was actually the precursor for Warhammer Quest instead of resembling HQ>

So is Advanced HeroQuest fun? Is it worth it to pick it up?
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.