Author Topic: New Chapter Quests  (Read 5583 times)

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
New Chapter Quests
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »
The game could really use some more Chapter Quests, and they're pretty easy to make. Attached are few I whipped together.

My first several were done like on the left, matching the colors and layout of the official cards as best I could. They turned out kinda dark and they take a lot of ink, so I eventually changed my format to that of the card on the right, which is easier on the eye/printer/wallet.

EDIT: Here's the other three from that batch.  The DVD Commentary :) can be found at http://transitivegaming.blogspot.com/2014/04/new-chapter-quests-for-myth.html

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:36:23 PM by r_b_bergstrom »

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Re: New Chapter Quests
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
Nicely done.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Thank you.

I put up a short Chapter Quest Chain (4 more new cards) on my blog (for a total of 9 new quests between the two posts) if anyone is interested: 
http://transitivegaming.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-horror-beneath-chapter-quest-chain_14.html

Here's the first card of the chain:

The rest are on the blog here:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:38:26 PM by r_b_bergstrom »

MisterMannIndy

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Really nicely done!  Looking forward to seeing the others.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
I added another 4-Quest Chain of Chapter Quests to my blog (and here, now).

This chain's about a horrid cockatrice poisoning/petrifying/disintegrating/corrupting everything near it.

EDIT:  You know what, I should post all the images here as well to make it easy for anyone who wants to use these:

DVD Commentary can be found on my blog:  http://transitivegaming.blogspot.com/2014/04/cockatrice-chapter-quest-chain.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:45:36 PM by r_b_bergstrom »

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
Wow!  You've been busy.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
Here's four more stand-alone chapter quests, for those who've been running out of new cards in their decks:

Designer's commentaries available at my blog:http://transitivegaming.blogspot.com/2014/05/4-myth-chapter-quests.html

B wumpus

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
these are great, i like the new card look (I am assuming from the quest template at BGG?)  do you have them combined in a pdf for download at proper sizing? It would be most welcome.  the Merchant quest is by far my favorite of this set, and earthquake takes a close second.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
I'm using Tom's "no frills"  template from BGG, with a few minor tweaks. I've had dismal luck getting his fancier template to work with Pixlr, and I can't wrap my head around certain parts of GIMP's interface. Even Pixlr gives me problems where the conversion from .PXD to .JPG changes the spacing on the text and screws up the right side margin (and I swear that Darkness symbol was better aligned with the comma before I saved as JPEG). Likewise, the freeware program I've got for layout of multiple cards (Scribus) is less than ideal and I'm not particularly pleased with the .pdfs I've tried to make. Ultimately, the best solution would be for me to invest in photoshop and maybe quark or adobe indesign, but there's no money in the budget for that any time soon.

</poor craftsman cursing his tools>

I'm glad you're liking the cards. Thanks for the kind words.

MisterMannIndy

• Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
I'm using Tom's "no frills"  template from BGG, with a few minor tweaks. I've had dismal luck getting his fancier template to work with Pixlr, and I can't wrap my head around certain parts of GIMP's interface. Even Pixlr gives me problems where the conversion from .PXD to .JPG changes the spacing on the text and screws up the right side margin (and I swear that Darkness symbol was better aligned with the comma before I saved as JPEG). Likewise, the freeware program I've got for layout of multiple cards (Scribus) is less than ideal and I'm not particularly pleased with the .pdfs I've tried to make. Ultimately, the best solution would be for me to invest in photoshop and maybe quark or adobe indesign, but there's no money in the budget for that any time soon.

</poor craftsman cursing his tools>

I'm glad you're liking the cards. Thanks for the kind words.

Would you like someone to take your work and put it into the BGG "frills" template?  I leave for holiday today, but would be happy to tackle sometime next week, if that'd be something you'd like.  Seems like the least we could do for you given all the time you've invested in these awesome ideas.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
Would you like someone to take your work and put it into the BGG "frills" template? 

I'm really torn on this. The cards being pretty or matching the design of the official cards is of very little importance to me, but I recognize that it is important to others. All I care about is that they're functional, and I don't feel the official layout is very functional at all*.  So I'm tempted to use my own (ugly but functional and printer-friendly) layout (something like the white one I used for my second wave, not even Tom's 'no frills' card back) for all my new cards just to hammer out playtest versions quick and easy (and with minimal ink waste), and leave it to others to pretty them up after the fact. That might actually be easier for me.

On the other hand, I'm also a bit of a control freak and it will probably bug me to no end if there's competing versions floating around. Such as my ugly but up-to-date version, and a prettier version that has someone else's edits but not my own most recent changes (if any). To be clear, I'm releasing most of these cards to the public without thorough playtesting, so it's likely that many of them will need revision over time. I don't expect there to be anything game-breaking in them, but I do expect minor problems will slip past me and escape into the wild.  I don't want to stop anyone from improving on or customizing the cards if they feel so inclined. The whole point is to help people customize and expand their game. That said, you have to understand that adding another step and another person to the process doesn't really make it any more useful (or more fun) for me, and may actually lead to some minor anxiety on my part if there's a fancier version out there but it has some critical bug that I've since fixed on my own version. 

As much as I love Tom's remixed versions of the 6 of my Story-into-Chapter cards he redid, I also see little things on them I'd like to tweak but now can't without burdening him. I don't want to sound ungrateful, Tom's templates are very faithful to the Megacon originals and his version of my cards are superior to mine in many ways. It's just that there's a few flaws that came up in playtest later, and a few bits of the official layout that bug me as well. None of these flaws are his fault, they're either mine or Megacon/Mercs, depending on which flaw(s) we're talking about.

There's no perfect solution, here. Feel free to make "frills" versions if you feel that's a worthy improvement, but know that I'll probably keep using my own versions instead. No offense intended. Also, I may actually revert to an uglier but easier and more functional template if I suspect you'll come along to beautify it later.  I'm just lazy that way.

* = Things I don't like about the official cards and Megacon's layout include: 
  • Tiny fonts that are hard to read, especially against a variety of colored backgrounds.
  • Undefined icons sometimes causing confusion where text would be clearer.
  • The useless scroll icon on the left side contributes nothing, but reduces the available space for flavor text at the top.
  • The broken-up layout of the bottom half causes me to forget to read the flavor text at the end if there's failure consequences between it and the rewards section.
  • Flavor text that ends up at odds with the imagery printed on the Tile, and doesn't jive with the "tales told in a tavern" theme presented during the kickstarter.
The official cards are all very pretty, but not very practical.

MisterMannIndy

• Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
No Offense taken here at all  8)

I just want to say thank you for all your hard work.  Much appreciated.   ;)

Ironjehoshaphat

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »
Great Ideas.  These could transition into the game.