Author Topic: Solo players  (Read 2543 times)

gain

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Solo players
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »
For everyone that plays solo got a couple questions.

1) how many heroes do you generally play with?
2) which heroes specifically?

I tried playing with 2 heroes, brigand and archer last night and got my butt kicked with the chapter quest to collect a poison vial. I didn't get enough damage cards on my archer and on my brigand by the time I got shadow cards it was getting bleak.

Is it possible to play with 3-4 heroes or does that just become too much? I often forgot to increase ap or increase threat. Might just be because I'm new and still leaning.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: Solo players
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
When I play solo I play with three. I almost always use the Apprentice, just because it's always got something to do every hand. I don't think I've played a game yet in which the Apprentice couldn't kill at least 1 guy. So, that really helps. I've never actually played the Archer yet, but it seems like you chose two characters that need set up. Especially the Brigand. I'd try having at least either the Apprentice or Acolyte in your party. It'll help having either regular healing/buffs or damage every turn.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
I've played with 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I'm currently doing 5 while shooting quest reports so that all the characters get some screen time.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

gain

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Which works the best MythMaster? 5 so you get the most synergy?

Also, what do you think of 2 vs 5?

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
5 is the easiest in most cases.  (Traps can be a huge exception.)

However, I will say 5 is much more playable when playing solo instead of having 5 players.  Why?  Because heroes should take turns off to make sure the party as a whole is more efficient.  That is easy to do when you control everything.  When everyone is their own hero, it kind of sucks to sit around for several hands because the soldier and apprentice need to use up all the AP to kill things.  (For example, the archer only played a couple cards per shuffle, and the acolyte mostly turned into a heal bot.)
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

Eric the Unready

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +6/-1
  • Sling me some Hero-juice!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »
I have been playing 3 solo, Archer, Soldier & Acolyte. While trying to get all the rules down, they seemed to work well together. Soldier runs up, Archer sets up her shots, and Acolyte buffs and heals. I will start switching it up, when I make fewer mistakes with ap and fate dice... as well as being more confident with the 3 hero decks I am playing with.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »
I have been playing 3 solo, Archer, Soldier & Acolyte. While trying to get all the rules down, they seemed to work well together. Soldier runs up, Archer sets up her shots, and Acolyte buffs and heals. I will start switching it up, when I make fewer mistakes with ap and fate dice... as well as being more confident with the 3 hero decks I am playing with.

Soldier and Acolyte are so good, they make up for your third being the archer.  Your group would be much stronger with the apprentice as a third though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:36:19 AM by MythMaster »
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

gain

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
I asked this on BGG and I am getting the impression Acolyte is kind of needed to heal and I felt the same thing the two sessions I had. The first one was Archer/Apprentice and I was taking a lot of damage which was difficult to mitigate and the second was Archer/Brigand which also took a lot of damage.

The second problem I was kind of having with 2 Heroes was there were turns where I could do nothing because I just had movement cards, or the non-combat action card, or my favorite: hand full of interrupts and movement cards the first Hero Cycle :P

Couple house rules I have been considering:

1) If you don't have an Acolyte, you get 2 potions per Hero to start with
2) If you get a shit hand, you can shuffle it back into your draw deck but only draw 4 cards (with a +1 threat as well) instead.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »
There will be alternatives to the acolyte once the trickster, skald, and spriggan come out.  It just happens the other 4 heroes in the base game are short on healing.

Bad draws are a big part of the game though.  Playing through them is part of the challenge. 
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »
I agree with MythMaster.  The game isn't broken if you don't play the acolyte: it's just more difficult.  It's the same as if you chose to add a second lair, or if your archer doesn't get a bow quickly.  You can always house-rule things, but the game's not broken because of it.  As far as the crappy hand goes, well... that's just the hand you're dealt.  It's as much a part of the game as a bad dice roll.

For instance, last night, a friend and I "booted up" the Walkthrough.  We got through all the dictated things, but the very next Darkness Cycle, we drew the one with the event of heroes being within 5 spaces of each other, and all minions getting dual activations.  The tutorial pretty much left us in a tight bunch, with a bunch of minions surrounding us.  That particular Darkness draw also has an agressive spawn attached.  We were wiped out.  Bad hand? Not really.  Bad dice rolls?  Nope.  We even had the famed Soldier/Acolyte duo.  It didn't help.  It's just part of the game. 
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

DoberFrann

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Iron Man
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
I actually wonder if players use different tactics regardless of hand drawn and character used. I know that situation differs at every game but...

Do people always go for lairs first?

Do people try to farm minions?

Do people stay close or far away from each other?

Do people try to scatter minions around the board or to group them for AoE?
I wanna live my life in a fairy tale, where the end is always good and never sad.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
I've found that having the Apprentice really mitigates problems, just because he can take out so many minions at a time and it's not hard to set up his various AoEs. And minions just kinda set themselves up that way.

Taking out a lair off the bat isn't a bad idea, you'll just probably get less loot drops. Loot farming is something you have to balance with your group and be mindful of the very mean events that can happen. I've found that we tend to stay within 5 squares of each other, not on purpose but that's just how it happens. Spreading out too much means if if you get surrounded you may be on your own. Most spells/attacks have at most range 4. So, trying to stay close enough so you can be supported by your group is always a good idea.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!