Author Topic: Custom Hero Class: Brawler  (Read 10700 times)

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
Re: Custom Hero Class: Brawler
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 01:18:18 AM »
For sweep, I don't think you need to specify minions and captains.  I'd leave that off and let the bosses' immunities handle it. 

Conversely, toss should ONLY work against minions that can be knocked prone.  (Unless you want to leave in the dodge+ax kick combo for bosses)

Noted. Going to try to clean the cards up and get the pdf's uploaded somewheres.

B wumpus

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »
This is excellent stuff,

Since you have kick attacks and fist attacks, what if you have two equipment types, and certain attacks use that equipment.   (this is the soldier shield and weapon in the base game)  here it could be "oven mitts" (hand primary weapon slot/mainhand)  and some foot apparel (Smelly sandal (chance of poison status effect on fate die) or some  holy sock + 2 FD....or forbid, the smelly holy sock....) for the off hand slot... 

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
I may end up doing that once I get some outside playtesting in.  For now, I'm going with 2 fist weapons.

Kicks/other are going to be based off of the base 2d10 with a 1d10  somewhere in the movement legend based on proper movement.

I have a style card that gives kicks a bonus to hit and a fate recipe.  I did not do one for the "force" (or strength) based moves, as there are only 2 in the base deck.

I think when the class splits at the Journeyman level, there will be more to it, but for now, it seems fine.  Not having a fate recipe for the kicks unless the style is out isnt that bad.... since it is just one part of a larger "attack".  We will see how it plays, though.

I am in the process of updating the Original Post on page 1 with a sorta "how to play".

I have the base 25 cards done and in pdf form. I have the class token done.  I have a few ideas for the "upgrade" cards, but I think I will wait for feedback on what the class needs/doesnt need for those.

I need to go through and trim a few fist weapons, and make one change to them that I want to. Once that is done, I should be able to zip it all up and put it up for others to download/try out.

B wumpus

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
I will more than happily test out the class in my solo evening (1-2 times a week) plays. 

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
sorry I have been silent on the topic for a while. I like what I am seeing. As a recommendation, i would not make more than 4 blue items at this time.
also, I like your solution for kicks. I think you should stick with it. I would recommend however that whatever card provides FD recipes should have a combination of both one and two-die (aka green and blue item) recipes. that way it helps balance it out.
looking forward to trying the brawler out.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
The base 25 card deck and the fist weapons are up for download. I put the links in the First post of this thread.

Disclaimer: It's not going to be where it needs to be right now. I've played around with it some, but it was a relatively small sample of gameplay.  Hoping to get some feedback on what needs to be tweaked. I do however, believe that it has potential to be fun, and that Megacon built enough balance elements (movement, threat, AP cost, # per deck, etc, etc) that balance can be achieved on nearly everything.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:51:26 PM by CarelessOpossum »

B wumpus

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »
Ill give it a go tomorrow night and let you know what i find/discover

B wumpus

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:58 AM »
cards printed,  still need to cut em and sleeve em.. (all I can find are lefty scissors dern wife and kids) ;)

Hopefully Ill get a chance to play tonight and get you feedback tomorrow, if not, Ill at least have some random draws, shuffles under my belt.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
I printed the new deck and took it for a test run this morning. Printed them on the color laserjet at work, and actually pretty happy on how they turned out.

Had a few thoughts as I was playing, but I'm going to wait on your feedback.  I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
argh! my printer at home is out of ink and the work web restrictions won't let me get into your dropbox or whatever you used! I guess I have to download at home and send as an attachment to myself. well, tomorrow should work.

also, rules clarification in terms of styles. you state you can clear them whenever. does that mean a slot opens up for use/threat reduction? or does it take up the slot until the hero deck phase after the threat reduction? But you can 'inactivate' (aka turn upside down) any style at any time?

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
argh! my printer at home is out of ink and the work web restrictions won't let me get into your dropbox or whatever you used! I guess I have to download at home and send as an attachment to myself. well, tomorrow should work.

also, rules clarification in terms of styles. you state you can clear them whenever. does that mean a slot opens up for use/threat reduction? or does it take up the slot until the hero deck phase after the threat reduction? But you can 'inactivate' (aka turn upside down) any style at any time?
Presumably this would use the same rules as the Apprentice

B wumpus

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
printed on 65lb pasted to 65 lb and sleeved i the extra trickster sleeves I have.  been dealing hands randomly throughout the day, it looks fun.  extremely mobile...  cannot wait till late night tonight to try him out

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
I was going to wait and see if anyone else who gave it a go had similar feedback to what I came up with, but since it's been a while, I'll go ahead.

At one point, more of the deck were cards that could be chained - opener, link, finisher. It -almost- seemed too easy to put a combo together.

I have since choked the deck down somewhat with less chain cards, and more interrupts, the style, etc. I also made a few moves ineligible for an attack type or two.

Now it feels too random and luck based. I think I took things too far the other way.  I also don't particularly care for the whole "one ongoing style card" to address the kicks issue.

I'm going to try something else and see how it goes - if anyone was actually playing it and had printed cards out, I'll make a separate .pdf with just the few updated cards to save your printer.

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »
havent played yet but instead of inserting interrupts etc I had always gotten the impression you should pair down the opener OR link to be more either or. Doing that to two or three cards may be enough to make it just right. Just a thought

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
'Waiting for an opening' should be renamed 'Crane Stance'