0 (0%)
3 Stars
2 (100%)
4 Stars
0 (0%)
5 Stars
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: No Rest For The Weary: Act III - The Black Tide  (Read 1793 times)

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
No Rest For The Weary: Act III - The Black Tide
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »
The conclusion to the "No Rest For The Weary" Story features an act of arson and vengeance, rewarded by the Harbinger Title.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
Re: No Rest For The Weary: Act III - The Black Tide
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »
I'm a little torn on this one. It's teetering between 3 and 4 stars for me.

I'm not exactly blown away by the mechanics used to represent fatigue here. They're functional and thematic, but not particularly fun. I can grudgingly call them 4 stars, since they at least build upon the narration of the previous quests.

I like the Hole token, and the way it serves as a supplemental almost-Lair. It triggering in Refresh instead of the DC is a neat twist that plays out very differently (especially since you can't kill it) from just a second Lair. This portion of the Act feels 5-star worthy to me.

"The heroes must gather the wood and the fire" is not as clear as it could be. Almost certainly this costs 1 MP (per page 18 of the rulebook) but several other unanswered questions spring to mind. Do they have to be standing on the tokens, or just adjacent? Does the same Hero have to pick up both objects, or is it okay if two different Heroes each grab an object? Does the arson happen the moment you're holding both, or do you have to spend another MP to light everything? Do you win once the fire starts, or do you have to Clear (or flee) the Tile? These ambiguities would render this card a 1-star disaster in other games, but at least in Myth we're encouraged to make up our own decisions. Still, it's less than ideal, and thus probably an argument for 2- or 3- star rating in this one element at least.

The Harbinger Title seems to be the strongest one in the main game, and yet this Story doesn't seem to be particularly harder than than the others. That's both good and bad. 4 stars?

The Archer still might be handicapped by the equipment situation, and that's definitely not fun. I don't think if it's worth knocking a whole star off the rating here since it's really a problem with the earlier Act, and lucky treasure-draws might fix it by this point... but it's still a niggling concern.

So far it sounds like a solid 4, not perfect, but pretty darned good.

And then as an after-thought, they tell us that the innkeeper was dead when we got there, with no explanation. The whole point of the Story is a bitter tale of vengeance at all cost, but the target of our revenge is killed off-screen by unknown parties. What a let down. *sigh* 

I would have been much happier if the innkeeper:
  • had transformed into Yardu via dark alchemy,
  • been represented by a Mucker Captain with some special rules,
  • required a non-combat action with a high TN to capture (or to prevent him from putting out the fire)
  • escaped into the wild to be revisited in some future Story in the next Kickstarter.
  • was implied to be murdered off-camera by the heroes rather than just found inexplicably dead.
  • delivered a two-line monologue about drinking his own kool-aid so you couldn't take him alive.
Anything to make his death have some cathartic or narrative weight.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:47:53 AM by r_b_bergstrom »

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
Re: No Rest For The Weary: Act III - The Black Tide
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »
I like your ideas about changing the ending for the innkeeper. I thought if you use him as a pseudo-miniboss, you could have a high vitality and low TN (so it is not too challenging considering the hole, etc). then the real goal is to burn the inn, and similar to trap disarming, you get a bonus if you actually defeat the innkeeper who has given himself over to the darkness.