0 (0%)
3 Stars
0 (0%)
4 Stars
0 (0%)
5 Stars
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: The Stone Of Life: Act I - The Jewel In The Water  (Read 1927 times)

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
The Stone Of Life: Act I - The Jewel In The Water
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
The secrets of a town's woes lie with a recently imprisoned thief. Can the heroes rescue him before the monsters break into his cell?

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
Re: The Stone Of Life: Act I - The Jewel In The Water
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »
4 stars: good, but a little odd. Make that 5 stars: It's not actually perfect, but it is very solid and I don't want to set the bar too high for future reviews.

The final Tile of this Act is great. It really takes advantage of the special features printed on the Tile itself, and does things that would be really hard to do on a Chapter Quest with a random Tile (trust me, I’ve tried it). The tactical situation is fairly unique, and has a built in “timer” that increases drama while remaining fair and not overwhelming.

The Tiles that come before the last one are a little bland and grindy. This presents a good argument in favor of using Chapter Quests in the middle of a Story Quest to spice things up. Plus, if we're in town, why are there traps? Overall these are only minor blemishes, and very forgivable.

One other minor complaint has to do with how little explanation is given anywhere in the rules about how Story Quests really work.  Most groups will place tiles as they Clear the ones before it, just like in Free-Questing. Some groups, on the other hand, may interpret the maps to mean you lay out all the Tiles at once, relying on the rules for Threat Range and Active Monsters to provide a natural trigger as you move along. For those few groups that choose to play this second way, the Hole Token at the end has timing issues that could then make success almost impossible. So that’s a tiny knock against this Quest, and somewhat stronger knock against other parts of the rulebook.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:03:41 PM by r_b_bergstrom »

mfaulk80

• Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
You are only meant to play one tile at a time.  If it's not in the rulebook, then it should be.  Brian has stated that several times...

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
Agreed that you're actually only meant to play 1 Tile at a time during Story Quests (as during everything else).  I was mainly just grumbling that the rules never actually state how the maps from Story Quests actually work, thereby potentially making a tiny bit of confusion. The rules for Story questing are just a couple paragraphs tucked away 40 pages distant from the maps. Overall it is admittedly a very minor gripe, and nearly every play group will do it right instinctively. It is one of very few criticisms I could reasonably make about this Act, and I feel that if I'm going to rate something a "5" (which I did) I need to be up front about the flaws I'm choosing to forgive. That, small as it is, is one of them.

Robsonut

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • sbo
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 02:32:30 AM »
It is a very good act. I like it very much. It's good. I hope to continue this good.