0 (0%)
3 Stars
2 (100%)
4 Stars
0 (0%)
5 Stars
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The Stone Of Life: Act II - An Eight-Legged Question  (Read 1511 times)

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
The Stone Of Life: Act II - An Eight-Legged Question
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
In the second act of this Story, the players are lost in a woods, trying to find the enchanter Emberweave.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
Re: The Stone Of Life: Act II - An Eight-Legged Question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
3 stars. After the strong first Act of this Story, this follow-up is a bit of a let-down. The problems it has are pretty minor, but it’s not exciting enough to completely overcome them.

For starters, it’s thematically confusing. Act 1 is a quest about a magic jewel in a besieged town, and features two named NPCs. Act 2 suddenly changes course and you’re wandering through the woods to find a third person who wasn’t previously mentioned. Huh? The people from the first installment are mostly absent, and there's no mention of the jewel that was stolen. Wait, there’s a town being attacked, why am I suddenly choosing not to Hustle or Sprint? To understand what’s really happening here, you have to read all three Acts, and then puzzle out the real plot. Unless you read ahead, it’s going to feel confusing or disjointed.

Then there’s the weirdness of the consecutive 4x6 tiles that aren’t laid out in a legal 4x12 pattern. I’m okay with them being set up like that, but what I don’t know is whether it’s an exception to the “no back-to-back tiles of the same size” rule, or an exception to the “the two halves of a two-part tile must be aligned end-to-end”. Does this spawn monsters/traps/treasure as a single 4x12 or as two 4x6s? If it is a single long tile, how does the bend modify the trap positioning? Most groups will make decisions on it without too much trouble, but it all could have been cleared up with a single sentence in the write-up for the Act (or a caption on the map).

Exceedingly minor and petty bonus gripe: Crawlers have 4 legs. Stalkers have 6. The Terror With A Thousand Legs has >8. The ancient monster known as the Mother doesn't get mentioned till the next Act. Why is this called "An Eight-Legged Question"?

mfaulk80

• Lair
    • View Profile
Re: The Stone Of Life: Act II - An Eight-Legged Question
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »
I almost feel like the two 4x6 tiles are supposed to be in the traditional (and legal) 4x12 pattern, but the rulebook page layout may have been awkward.  Even if that's not the case, I recommend playing it like that for the sake of the gameplay...