6 (60%)
3 Stars
3 (30%)
4 Stars
0 (0%)
5 Stars
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: No Rest for the Weary: Act I - The Silent Minstral  (Read 5058 times)

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
No Rest for the Weary: Act I - The Silent Minstral
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
The first act of the first story quest immediately turns things on it's head, with the heroes losing all of their gear before the quest.  The heroes must gather gear and escape the lair of a bunch of crawlers.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
Re: No Rest for the Weary: Act I - The Silent Minstral
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
I give the quest an average. I think turning set up on it's head and making things more difficult for the players out the door can be a little difficult. But I can understand this decision as it tries to emphasize MCG's view that it's the heroes that are awesome, not their loot.
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »
I gave this quest a 2. It's not unplayable, but it's not very compelling. I'd rather do nearly any of the other Story Quests in the main book instead of this one.

The only thing special about the quest is the starting gear selection, and unfortunately that starting situation is poorly explained. There's two tokens on the first board, and whether either or both of them are needed to get your starting gear. Some groups play that you start with the two items, others play that you have to move to the spaces and spend an MP to pick the stuff up. Once everyone's got their two items (which could be before the first HC if that's how you interpret it) everything after that is just normal Realm Tiles. So it starts off confusing, and ends blandly.

Also, this Story unfairly hoses the Archer. Anyone else can make do with just 1 piece of starting gear and they'll barely notice the downgrade. The archer is positively crippled if they don't have both a bow and a quiver. The recent FAQ helped a little by letting Archers without a bag carry 1 arrow at a time, but it still seems like it would be really rough for that player for this Quest and probably the next two Acts as well. Eventually they'll get a quiver somewhere, but until then their best attack is dead and they're extra vulnerable to bad shuffles. That's not fun.

I'm also not thrilled with the way this quest interferes with character progression if you choose to play it as your second or subsequent Story. One of the main reasons to do Story Quests instead of Free-Questing is because Titles let you keep treasures from session to session. If you do this Story Quest after you've completed any other Story Quests, you're losing that benefit.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
I gave this quest a 2. It's not unplayable, but it's not very compelling. I'd rather do nearly any of the other Story Quests in the main book instead of this one.

The only thing special about the quest is the starting gear selection, and unfortunately that starting situation is poorly explained. There's two tokens on the first board, and whether either or both of them are needed to get your starting gear. Some groups play that you start with the two items, others play that you have to move to the spaces and spend an MP to pick the stuff up. Once everyone's got their two items (which could be before the first HC if that's how you interpret it) everything after that is just normal Realm Tiles. So it starts off confusing, and ends blandly.

Also, this Story unfairly hoses the Archer. Anyone else can make do with just 1 piece of starting gear and they'll barely notice the downgrade. The archer is positively crippled if they don't have both a bow and a quiver. The recent FAQ helped a little by letting Archers without a bag carry 1 arrow at a time, but it still seems like it would be really rough for that player for this Quest and probably the next two Acts as well. Eventually they'll get a quiver somewhere, but until then their best attack is dead and they're extra vulnerable to bad shuffles. That's not fun.

I'm also not thrilled with the way this quest interferes with character progression if you choose to play it as your second or subsequent Story. One of the main reasons to do Story Quests instead of Free-Questing is because Titles let you keep treasures from session to session. If you do this Story Quest after you've completed any other Story Quests, you're losing that benefit.

I don't need to even write a review...you nailed my feelings.  I gave it a 2 as well.  Your final point is the reason I felt this story had to be run first.  Losing a blue item would just be painful considering the lack of compelling rewards that come back out of this quest.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »
for the archer I had a houserule in mind that the archer could opt to keep the brown bow and quiver, but luckily my archer drew the green bow.
Yes, many people have said to play these stories sequentially, so that is what I plan to do.

Fade2Gray

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +12/-1
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Green Lantern
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I gave it a three. I think a lot of the criticisms leveled against it are valid (though the FAQ revealed that Archers can load one arrow without a quiver, so it's not entirely broken in that regard). That said, I enjoyed the theme of our heroes being pushed to their limits and the way that played out in the mechanics. that said, it did start to feel a little tedious as we got into the third act and I couldn't use many of the cards I was drawing. With just two players, there were also a lot of situations where we were forced into loitering (I'm starting to join the loitering redesign/removal camp).

In short, I'd say it was a good first story thematically but not the best mechanically.
All You're Typo Are Belong To Us