0 (0%)
3 Stars
1 (33.3%)
4 Stars
1 (33.3%)
5 Stars
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: The Stone Of Life: Act III - A Child Of The Mother  (Read 2332 times)

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
The Stone Of Life: Act III - A Child Of The Mother
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
The challenging third Act of this Story features a miniboss, and a boss, and several required non-combat actions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:58:55 PM by r_b_bergstrom »

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
Re: The Stone Of Life: Act III - A Child Of The Mother
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
The overall plot of this Story is very confusing, and this Act doesn't really explain it as much as I think the authors probably thought it did.
  • The people we thought were in peril in Act 1 are actually an evil cult.
  • The thief they imprisoned was actually coerced into the theft by Yardu.
  • Yardu's goal seems to be at odds to that of the Crawler Cult. They want their magic gem for some evil once-every-millenium ritual. Yardu wanted it stolen for some reason of his own that's a little unclear.
  • Despite that implied adversarial relationship between the villainous factions, we have to fight against both Yardu and the Crawler Cult's summoned monsters.
  • Emberweave mocked and mind-wiped the heroes in the previous Act, and wasted their time at a campfire while evil schemes were afoot...but now he's lighting their way and showing them what to do.
  • It's unclear if our being lost in the woods in the previous Act was also Emberweave's fault, or something done by the cult or Yardu or just us having a poor sense of direction
  • When Pete's narration from Act 1 is viewed from the lens of having read the later Acts, there seems to be a vague implication that it was actually Emberweave, disguised as Yardu, who appeared to Pete in the dream and told him his life would get better if he stole the cult's magic jewel. Did Emberweave ruin Pete's life to set this up?
  • The cultists die off-camera.
It's a little odd. I'll even go so far as to say, it may be too ambitious and convoluted of a tale to reasonably explain on a single page that also needs enough scenario rules to support three sessions worth of play. Mercs may have over-extended on this one.

The runes are a little confusing as well. All the information you need is there, but it's broken up into multiple sections and many details are at best implied. There's at least the following flaws in all this:
  • The same symbol is used to mark three different spots on the map, but the third spot does not function the same as the other two. If you accidentally resolve it the same way (while still fighting the T1kL, so you're distracted from noticing that you've just done something wrong) you'll just get yourself confused and may unwittingly make victory impossible. If so, you won't likely notice it till the big monster fight is over.
  • Defeating the T1kL has no instructions about which Rune is removed, and since the point of the runes aren't immediately transparent, players could potentially (again) unwittingly make victory impossible (this time by randomly removing the tile that matches the final Trigger).
  • If you complete the rune tasks while there's still monsters on the board, do you get the Title immediately or at the end of the session? Since there could be a Boss in play, the difference is critical. Page 12 states that the effects don't kick in till next session, and implies that if the players die they don't get the reward, but it could be clearer.
  • It's unclear whether or not the Heroes can try again if their attempt at the final Trigger draws the wrong Rune type.
As with the storyline itself, every thing you need is there, but it's a little puzzling or vague and the reader has to interpret what they meant. I think most groups will figure it out quickly, but your first boss fight is probably not the best time to be wrestling with a confusingly-written scenario.

Having both a Mini-boss and a Boss in the same Act is a real challenge. That's mostly a good thing, I think, since the Title reward is pretty solid. The situation does run the risk of players knowing on Tile #1 that they're in too rough of shape to survive to Tile #5, and that wouldn't be much fun.

So, I don't know... maybe 3 stars? I want to give it 4, but I don't think I should.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:50:57 PM by r_b_bergstrom »

mfaulk80

• Lair
    • View Profile

Felix D Cat

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
I really enjoyed this conclusion act. For my group(3 people) it was intense right out of the gate. With 2 lairs and Yardu breathing down our neck it wasn't long before the acolyte bite the dust and threat was pushing 10 for both the brigand and soldier. Good thing we'd saved all that serendipity for a rainy day because it was pouring. The acolyte was rezed and a darkness event ignored, then things finally got on track but not before acquiring a threat penalty, lose 1 action for the rest of the act. The trap room spawned hurn's pitfall and a few hunting packs ( I tossed a captains in with one of the two hunting packs to make things interesting). The trap was unfortunately not disarmed, although the acolyte did have the blue armor to set the FD she wasn't having any luck with her non-combat roll and was tried of being perma proned. After activating the trigger we pushed on to the next tile. 2 lairs, several captains, a trigger activated and one lost little girl later we vanquished this tile. After being knee capped hard in the first room we played it safe and watched the threat, although the soldier did hit ten, he had good amount of ap breathing room to get it down again before the darkness rolled. At this we our sights on the last room, the brigand had to leave so it was just the soldier and the acolyte. The acolyte made an executive decision for us to rush the trigger and activate it for the win. With a quick sprint and a successful non-combat action the terror didn't even have time to blink before it was sent back to whatever hole it crawled out of.

Overall enjoyable act, it was completed over two night. We decided to take the title "Life-bringer" extra vitality never a bad thing, also each person had accumulated at least one blue treasure. Playing as the soldier I wasn't going to let that bulwark slip through my fingers.
Side Notes:
-I like the random pull element from the bag for the final trigger it adds extra suspense 
-I also like that the quest has two different win conditions kill the boss or activate the trigger (yes you could still activate trigger but honestly folks you could call it there, unless your the kind of person who takes victory a laps)
-One thing I didn't get was why cover the tokens on the board, there is no good reason for it. (Although in open table talk we thought if they provided the heroes with a bonus after activation like +1 to Handsize, or +1 D10 to non-combat then it would make sense but oh well.)

Simonenut

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
It's a really good story, I like it a lot in this act, it's really good.

Fitingwayx

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 02:58:28 AM »
Sometimes I get knowledge about the story I find in this place.