Author Topic: Custom Hero Class: Swashbuckler  (Read 4085 times)

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Custom Hero Class: Swashbuckler
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
Below is the most recent draft of my first custom class, the Swashbuckler. If you have the time, I’d welcome comments on what to improve.

Mechanics:

Slots - Roll 5 fate dice. Any dice showing the darkness face are set aside. Of the remaining dice, you may choose to save any number of them on their current face. As for the rest, you may reroll them. Repeat this process up to two times for a total of three rolls. Check the card against this result for effects. Darkness dice are not counted for results unless stated otherwise by the card. Only one result is possible per card.

This ability is completely independent and prior to rolling to hit. Cards that add Fate Dice to attacks/abilities do not add Fate Dice to a Slots roll. Only cards with the Luck keyword can alter Slot rolls.

Put a different way, Yahtzee rules where you kick out and cannot reroll darkness faces.

Luck Cards - Cards that modify the above rules for Slots. Only 1 luck card may modify a Slots roll. Only cards with the Luck keyword can alter Slot rolls.

Starting Cards:

Lucky Strike
Damage: See Card Text, Range: 1
Attack; Melee; Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face other than Darkness. This attack does X damage where X is equal to the number of instances of that face.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +2FD, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Make 'em Bleed
Damage: 1, Range: 1
Attack; Melee; Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face other than Darkness. The target gets a bleeding DoT for X rounds where X is equal to the number of instances of that face.
Action, 1 AP
[No Movement] +2FD, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] -2 DoTs

Whirlwind Attack x2
Attack; Melee; Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face other than Darkness. This attack may target X different adjacent squares where X is equal to the number of instances of that face.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +1d10, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Lunge x2
Damage: 1, Range: 2
Attack; Melee
Attack that deals 1 damage to a target within Range 2. Minions do not block Line of Sight for this attack.
Action/Reaction, 1 AP
[No Movement] -2 TN, [Cautious] -1 TN, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] +1 TN

Boot to the Chest
Damage: 0, Range: 1
Attack
Target is knocked back one square opposite the Swashbuckler (if unoccupied) and is knocked Prone.
Reaction, 0 AP
[No Movement] +3d10, [Cautious] +2d10, [Normal] +1d10, [Aggressive] Yes

Attack
Damage: 1, Range: Weapon
Attack; Melee
Attack that deals 1 damage to 1 target.
Action, 1 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] Yes

Luck’s Favor
Range: Tile
Slots
Make a Slots roll: For every result, +1 TN to enemy attacks directed toward classes that have a matching symbol on their Hero Token. Add 1 threat per Darkness face rolled.
Interrupt; 0 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] No, [Normal] No, [Aggressive] No

Parley
Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face other than Darkness. X target Intelligent Minions, where X is equal to the number of instances of that face, do not activate this Hero Cycle.
Action; 2 AP

Better Lucky than Careful
Forces all successful enemy attacks on target to be rerolled this Darkness Cycle. Add 2 threat.
Interrupt; 0 AP

I’ll Take That x2
Parry
An incoming attack is parried.
Interrupt; 0 AP

Riposte
Damage 2; Range 1
Counterattack
May only be played after a successful parry. 1 attack on target just parried.
[Weapon Icon ]
Interrupt; 1 AP

Fancy Footwork
Gain 1 additional MP this Hero Cycle. Enemy attacks directed toward you are at +1 TN this Hero Cycle. This card does not count as a Move.
Reaction, 0 AP

Sprint
Move
Gain 3 additional MP.
Action; 1 AP
[No Movement] N/A, [Cautious] N/A, [Normal] N/A, [Aggressive] Yes

Hustle x2
Move
Gain 2 additional MP.
Action/Reaction; 1 AP.
[No Movement] N/A, [Cautious] N/A, [Normal] N/A, [Aggressive] Yes

Rough and Tumble x2
Vault up to 2 squares. You may move through enemy squares as long as movement ends in unoccupied square. Not considered a move.
Reaction; 1 AP.

X Marks the Spot
Range: 3
Target may redraw any treasure tokens they draw this turn. They must keep the second result.
Rection; 0 AP.

Better Lucky Than Smart
Range: 3
Target may reroll non-combat actions they take this Hero Cycle. They must keep the second result.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Back on Your Feet
Remove the Prone status effect from this Hero.
Interrupt; 0 AP.

Press Your Luck
Luck
You may make one additional reroll for Slots. If you do, then increase your threat by 2.
Reaction; 0 AP.

No Whammies
Luck
You may choose Darkness faces as matches for Slots this Hero Cycle. If you use this ability, increase your threat by 1 for each Darkness Face used.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Novice Cards:

Make 'em Bleed

I’ll Take That Too
Parry
An incoming attack toward you or an adjacent target is parried.
Interrupt; 0 AP

Through the Legs
Vault up to 3 squares through target enemy monster’s square(s) as long as movement ends in an unoccupied square. Attack actions against the monster moved through deal +1 damage and are at -1 TN. Not considered a move.
Reaction; 1 AP.

Inspire Mutiny
Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face other than Darkness. X target Intelligent Minions, where X is equal to the number of instances of that face, add “Captain” to the top of their priority list during this Hero Cycle. They must roll to hit the Captain as though they were Heroes.
Acton; 2 AP

Rigged from the Start
Luck
You may change the result of any one die face (including Darkness) at the end of a Slots Roll before resolving the Slots Roll. This affect costs 1 AP per use.
Reaction; 0 AP.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:21:10 AM by thesigma »

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
Re: Custom Hero Class: Swashbuckler
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:13:57 AM »
I was originally making a Corsair class that started out similar - same type of skills, used a push-your-luck number based rolling system instead of fate die matching. I originally posted about it briefly in the "which Hero class would you do" thread.  It ultimately turned into something different at this point, though, that may not even be pirate themed in the end.

I picked up the 5 fate dice that were still lying on my desk from when I painted the symbols (my Myth game night has been repeatedly cancelled by real life events by one of the players for going on 6 weeks now).  I looked at the Lucky Strike card. I followed the directions, and got three symbols. I did it again and got two. Third time, I ended up with 5 faith symbols. I thought to myself "huh, I just one shot a lair"

So I googled the chances to get a Yahtzee with three rolls.  Roughly 4.5%. This is without the "kick the darkness dice out" rule, so I'm sure its considerably lower than that (not going to do the math). Third time I tried, I got it. 

This story is only for amusement purposes.  The most common roll that I get since then is 2 of a kind, though 3 of a kind is what I would call "uncommon" instead of rare. So the mechanic is probably fine.

In another 30 rounds, I  got 2 matches 23 times, 3 matches 6 times, and 4 of a kind once.  I never hit 5 again, nor did I ever see 1.  Small sample size, but I would say pretty indicative of what you could expect.

So from a balance standpoint, a roll requiring 2 of one type would need to be ever so slightly behind other classes skills, 3 slightly above.  The other amounts are seemingly rare enough that they don't need to be "balanced". This might drive some people crazy, but it sounds fun to me. The colossal flop, or the one in a million huge hit.

The numbers are small enough that the balancing might be hard to do at times. Lucky Strike is going to hit for 2 most of the time - for 2ap. 20% of the time or so for 3 damage. 80% of the time, it's going to be a worse AP/Damage ratio than Devastate from the soldier (albeit with a different movement legend).

This is probably fine if the class can shine in other areas. Increasing it to 2-3-4-5-6 damage swings it too far the other direction.

Whirlwind - most of the time, you are going to be taking out 2 targets for 2ap. 20% of the time, you are going to take out 3 for 2ap, which is probably a good "baseline" damage.

the soldier can kill 4-5 for 2ap with a rage or two.  This looks to be one of the only "treasure popping" moves for the class as well - I think it needs to be balanced to where 3 targets for 2ap is the "norm".

Other thoughts:

After my experience with the brawler design process, I'll say that it is almost impossible to get a feel for something until you actually print some cards/hand write some cards and take it for a spin.
Lucky Strike being slightly underpowered at first glance may not mean anything to the class overall.

I think you are going to have to come up with some clever icons to get everything on a card. though you could (as I have considered) take the "picture" area out to make room for more text and whatnot - I'm no artist, so this makes sense to me.

The mechanic seems fun at first use, and doesn't eat up a lot of time to play out.

Do you do your normal fate roll (base plus weapon) and trigger weapon effects, then pick up the dice and roll/resolve the slots ability?

Good enough for a first round look through. I'll look at it again tomorrow.  It's kind of daunting trying to look all the cards over and get an idea of how they work together without having them in your hands.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
I appreciate your input. I might have been overly worried about making the Swashbuckler too powerful, but that's what play testing is for.

My thinking on Whirlwind is that the ability to target any adjacent square is valuable and distinct from Harvest of Bones. I'm also concerned about not getting it to 6 so that it could pop 2 treasure. On the other hand, given how unlikely that is to happen (both because of the roll and because of the positioning) maybe it's okay to allow. It would certainly be cool to pull off once in a blue moon, like one shotting a lair.

As for your question about order of resolution, my thought is the Slots roll should happen in Step 2, the play card phase. This seems to be the phase where the extent of the card is determined. For instance, how big the solder's arc will be for Harvest of Bones.

Also, I noticed something I wanted to change and figured I'd go ahead and put the updated version here.

Don’t Fear the Reaper (or a possible name change to: No Whammies)
Luck
You may use Darkness faces as matches for Slots this Hero Cycle. If you use this ability, then take 1 damage per darkness symbol used.
Reaction; 0 AP.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:43:28 PM by thesigma »

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
Another thought that immediately popped into my head - in addition to your statement of "Cards that add Fate Dice to attacks/abilities do not add Fate Dice to a Slots roll", you would also have to state that effects other than the Swashbucker's own abilites can not alter the rolls as well. Mantle of Fate would change the balance of this class like no other.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:14:04 AM »
Nice catch. While I'm open to items affecting the roll in theory, I'd have to balance them accordingly. As such, I think I'm going to add the line "Only cards with the Luck keyword can alter Slot rolls" or something like that.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »
So I had the opportunity to do some play testing yesterday. I set up tiles the same for the Swashbuckler, Brigand, and Solder to see how they compared. For the most part, the Swashbuckler was performing right between the Solder and Brigand, which is right where I wanted it. Below are some of my findings are some changes I'm making to the cards.

First, I don't think the Aces and Eights card is going to work. I originally made it in order to show the versatility of slots. Unfortunately, it was just too hard for it to be meaningful given that slots knocks out all darkness faces. It frequently just did 1 damage and could sometimes not even do that. As such, I'm going to replace it with:

Make 'em Bleed
Attack; Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face. The target gets a bleeding DoT for X rounds where X is equal to the number of instances of that face.
[Weapon Icon]
Action, 1 AP
[No Movement] +2FD, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

This card also shows another change I want to make to the cards: to cut down their verbiage. I think the language still needs some work, but I think that gives you the idea.

I also ran into another problem: the movement bonuses/penalties. There were too many cards that just didn't feel right. As such I'm going to have to rework many of them. By and large, I wanted the Swashbuckler to be able to use it's high level of movement along with most of it’s attacks. Here are some examples of what I’m talking about:

Piercing Strike
Damage: 1, Range: Weapon
Attack
Attack that deals 1 damage to a target and an additional target immediately behind the first target if any.
[Weapon Icon]
Action, 1 AP

Originally, this attack could not be used with aggressive movement. Further, I thought the Swashbuckler should have fewer reaction attacks, since the other classes I compared it to only have 2.

I also thought the Lunge attack should be more like Piercing Strike thematically:

Lunge
Damage: 1, Range: 2
Attack
Attack that deals 1 damage to a target within Range 2. Minions do not block Line of Sight for this attack.
[Weapon Icon]
Action/Reaction, 1 AP

I also followed Opossum's advice for Whirlwind:

Whirlwind Attack
Attack; Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face. This attack may target X+1 adjacent squares where X is equal to the number of instances of that face.
[Weapon Icon]
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +1d10, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

I also added a couple additional costs to some of the party buffs to keep them in line with the Acolyte and to make the Swashbuckler more of a defensive character by forcing monsters to attack her.

Better Lucky than Careful
Forces all successful enemy attacks on 1 target Hero to be rerolled this Darkness Cycle. Add 2 threat.
Interrupt; 0 AP

and

Just a Scratch
Slots
Make a Slots roll: For every result, +1 TN to enemy attacks directed toward classes that have a matching symbol on their Hero Token. Add 1 threat per Darkness face rolled.
Interrupt; 0 AP

I also noticed a typo in the movement restrictions which I've fixed:

Fancy Footwork
Gain 1 additional MP this Hero Cycle. Enemy attacks directed toward you are at +1 TN this Hero Cycle. This card does not count as a Move.
Reaction, 0 AP

I'd really like to hear your comments on the above and the class as a whole. Thanks.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
So I've been working on this class even more the last few days and made some more updates. I've gone ahead and edited the first post to account for these. Most of them are minor tweaks, I've only replaced one card (Mutiny was replaced with Parley in the starting cards).

I'd like to spend some time in this post discussion the journeyman and master class upgrades to the Swashbuckler and how the seeds of those changes can be seen in the base class and the novice cards, which I've also added to the first post as well as reproduced below.

So the two major branches are going to be more offensive and luck based on one side and more defensive and support based on the other. I haven't really come up with a name yet for the former yet (I'm leaning towards Corsair or Pirate right now, but am open to suggestions) while the latter will be something like Guard and Duelist.

The Novice Cards for the Swashbuckler are:

A second copy of Make 'em Bleed

I’ll Take That Too
Parry
An incoming attack toward you or an adjacent Hero is parried.
Interrupt; 0 AP

Through the Legs
Vault up to 3 squares through target enemy monster’s square(s) as long as movement ends in an unoccupied square. Attack actions against the monster moved through deal +1 damage and are at -1 TN. Not considered a move.
Reaction; 1 AP.

Inspire Mutiny
Slots
Make a Slots roll:
At the end of the Slots roll, pick a die face other than Darkness. X target Intelligent Minions, where X is equal to the number of instances of that face, add “Captain” to the top of their priority list during the next Darkness Cycle.
Acton; 2 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Rigged from the Start
Luck
You may change the result of any one die face (including darkness) to any other die face after the second reroll.
Reaction; 1 AP.

The base class offers a lot of offensive and luck based cards already, the journeyman and master class that takes this split will do more of the same. The second copy of Make 'em Bleed and the new Rigged from the Start illustrate where I intend this to go.

On the other side, I've included several defensive and support cards. Originally, I had these support cards only effect the Swashbuckler, but I've since decided that the Swashbuckler would be more interesting if she could choose between helping herself and helping her allies. Being used in the former way if one decides to keep them and go into the other journeyman branch, while used more frequently the latter way if gone into this branch. Cards that exemplify this include X Marks the Spot and Better Lucky Than Smart in the base cards.

On the defense side, we have cards like Luck's Favor and Better Lucky Than Careful that show this in the base cards and cards like I'll Take That Too which shows where this split is headed in the Novice Cards.

The Novice Cards are rounded out with a movement card building on Rough and Tumble called Through the Legs and the former base card Inspire Mutiny being bumped into the Novice tier. Inspire Mutiny is replaced with Parley in the base deck. Both cards effect the way the monsters act in the following darkness cycle to reflect the Swashbuckler's silver tongue. I haven't decided if these types of cards should be assigned into one of the above classes yet, but I might (I'm learning towards putting the movement ones into the defensive and support roll and the manipulation ones into the offensive and luck roll right now).

So, I hope that fleshes out some of my design choices and vision for this class. As always, comments are welcome and encouraged.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
Before I abandoned my pirate "names" for a class I was working on in favor of something else, my two branches were going to be

Corsair>Pirate>Marauder
and
Corsair>Buccaneer>Swashbuckler

I know your base is Swashbuckler, but I thought I would list some possible names out in case anything grabs ya for naming yours.

You said you had been playtesting - do you have any .pdf's for others to print & play with? If you are looking for playtesters, that is.  I know you've listed everything out, but I have problems just eyeballing a list of cards and weighing in with opinions without seeing how they work together as a deck.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »
Thanks for the names, I'm liking Buccaneer.

As for a pdf, I actually just wrote everything out shorthand on some note cards. I'll see if I can throw something together for others though.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
So I've had the opportunity to play test a bit more and have made some more changes which I will describe below. I've also gone ahead and modified the first post to reflect these changes as well as other small ones I've made.

The most significant change is that I've dropped Spring Attack all together. It just didn't feel right when played. For instance, in order to maximize hits when I was nearly surrounded I had to move to a new square, then back to the original square, then to the new square, and finally back to the starting square again. Since I wanted that card to feel like attacking on the move and figured I try to change it. Ultimately, I wasn't able to come up with anything that gave this feel that I liked, so I went in a completely different direction:

Boot to the Chest
Damage: 0, Range: 1
Attack
Target is knocked back one square opposite the Swashbuckler (if unoccupied) and is knocked Prone.
Reaction, 0 AP
[No Movement] +3d10, [Cautious] +2d10, [Normal] +1d10, [Aggressive] Yes

I also made some other changes in order to keep the run and gun feeling absent Spring Attack.

I changed the movement of Make 'em Bleed to: [No Movement] +2 FD, [Cautious] +1 FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] -2 DoTs in order to allow it to be used on the go. 

I changed a Hustle to another Rough and Tumble because there was less need for Hustles since Spring Attack was gone.

And I added another Whirlwind Attack in order to pick up another AoE.

Speaking of Whirlwind Attack, my play testing also showed that Whirlwind Attack was a bit too powerful. I went ahead and rechecked the statistics for Slots and realized I had made an error on the averages. As such, I changed the number of targets to N instead of N+1.

I also dropped the "to target Hero" language from a lot of the buffs because I wanted to allow it to effect allies and other NPC's, which is something I hadn't considered until I played with some.

I changed No Whammies to add threat instead of taking damage as I thought taking damage would dissuade the action too much and adding threat made it even more dangerous to combine for a large number on some of the bigger attacks.

Finally, I modified Parley and Inspire Mutiny in order to only effect the Darkness if it activated in the same Hero cycle it is played and changed the movement key to be much more restrictive given the power of the cards.

All and all, I think these changes were for the positive, but I'll have a better idea after some more play testing. As always, I welcome your comments.

Cityalex

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 02:02:00 AM »
I would like to widen this issue more clearly. Once there is a new reference source