Author Topic: MERCS game  (Read 5295 times)

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +10/-1
  • Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: All of em!
MERCS game
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »
MERCS who's played it? What do you like/dislike about it? I have been thinking about picking up a faction or two for some time now but I just don't know. The models looks amazing but I don't think I would ever have anyone to play it with. Please share all you can about MERCS including fun, quality of minis and whatever else you can think of!

EDIT: Added link to BGG ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:54:50 PM by RIDERpestilence »
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
Re: MERCS game
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
I haven't actually played it but I already know something I dislike about it. Starter kits are $65 for 6 figures. That's more than just a little too rich for my blood. I suppose someone like Duncan can (could) afford it but I prefer to get something like MYTH where I get a little more bang for my buck.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:58:09 PM by Auctorium »
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
They are somewhat pricey but I think Myth really spoiled everyone involved (at least in the KS) in the realm of mini count vs. price. I mean wow! However, if their models are high quality with great details then I wouldn't mind spending a little more on them. But we shall see

Beefcake

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +16/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Spriggan
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
I really like the look of the minis but as auctorium said, too expensive for my taste. Plus I'm trying to focus on fantasy now rather than sci-fi. Otherwise I would have way too much stuff. Saying that I just saw some nice....

Auctorium

• The Double Captain Advocate
  • Global Moderator
  • Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +43/-5
  • SLAUGHTERFIELD!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Judicator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
Like?
If my text is Red and I am not talking about SLAUGHTERFIELD! then I am posting as a Moderator.

If my text is normal then I am posting as myself.

Thank you  "The Wyzard" over at RPG.Net for this great idea.

Z-Ray

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
I'd been looking to relive the golden days of  Heroquest from my youth and found Myth.
I liked what I saw and checked out the companies other offerings...and same as 18 years ago with Heroquest, I ended up getting into a sci-fi tabletop wargame.

From a tabletop wargaming perspective MERCS is cheep
Two people spending $65 gets you everything you need to start playing apart from  a playmat, but they have some for free download on their site or for me I have all the 3D terrain from the aforesaid sci-fi game.

From a boardgameing perspective it's a bit more expensive but then
I ordered 4 starter sets and the rulebook shipped internationally for less than I spent on the Myth kickstarter.

$ per mini its way more expensive than Myth, but I've never been a fan of that measurement because no matter how many pieces they come with one game is one game, otherwise Risk is better than Myth because they have the same amount of game pieces but I can pick Risk up at Kmart for $50.

So the answer is...they are different but MERCS is a blast to play and Myth looks to be too.

FeelNFine

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +7/-0
  • Just Imagine
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
Well also mini's get cheeper the more duplicates you have of them, which is why MYTH could go that low, we were getting lots of repeats.
I can't wait for this signature to be filled with links to gameplay variants.

s0ldierofortune

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +2/-0
  • What if it's not a typo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:57:55 PM »
Starter kits are $65 for 6 figures. That's more than just a little too rich for my blood.

In the world of boardgaming this is pretty steep, but in the world of MiniWargaming $65 for everything you need is a steal. Mini's are also incredibly well detailed.

RIDERpestilence

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply everyone! :)

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
Haven't played it...I already have many armies for tabletop war and skirmish games, getting friends interested in another would prove not so much a money sink as a time sink. Only have so much time for gaming and hobbying. Myth is unique in that it's entirely co-op...there's not a lot of competition out there for completely co-op board+mini games in my group. Zombicide is about it and that's an entirely different genre.

That said, I like the setting. Reminds me of Shadowrun a bit. I'd probably play Texico if I picked it up and could find a regular game.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

DoberFrann

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Iron Man
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »
I didn't know of MERCS until I found out of MYTH, and as far I know is not popular in UK. But in all fairness I am not that into minis, and I don't hang out with other people that play board games or collects minis.
I wanna live my life in a fairy tale, where the end is always good and never sad.

WunupKid

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +14/-2
  • Deep Pockets
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
I didn't know of MERCS until I found out of MYTH, and as far I know is not popular in UK. But in all fairness I am not that into minis, and I don't hang out with other people that play board games or collects minis.

I would assume most tabletop skirmish games struggle in GW's backyard.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

xuzuthor

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
I'm not much of a wargame/tactical gamer (I love coops!), but I do know that they buy-in for a good set is cheap compared to others, as Z-Ray and s0ldierofortune stated.

I do hope that MERCS can be even more successful now that Brian can devote all his time to MERCS and MYTH.  The more success the company has, the more they'll have to support both games.

rob stencel

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
Have only played a few games, but is a cool concept.  Their movement is unique and rules.  Isnt really a competitor to 40k in that is a skirmish game, more like Infinity Warmachine or Malifaux.  Personally like Malifaux the best because of using cards instead of dice, but the game is very fun.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:19:09 PM »
Starter kits are $65 for 6 figures. That's more than just a little too rich for my blood.

In the world of boardgaming this is pretty steep, but in the world of MiniWargaming $65 for everything you need is a steal. Mini's are also incredibly well detailed.

This is pretty much it.  If you think prices like what you saw from Myth's Kickstarter are even remotely accurate to what prices actually are in the miniature gaming world...you are in for a BIG surprise.  For most miniature wargames that have good miniatures cast in metal and/or resin, you normally expect to pay about $7-15 per mini.  There are a few exceptions to the rule, but this is pretty standard fare.

If your point of reference for miniatures being in boardgames are examples such as Descent...the difference is that Descent minis are incredibly less-detailed, and really cheap plastic.  They are like the 'cheap plastic army men' of the miniature gaming world.  For some people, that is ok.  For miniature enthusiasts who enjoy the higher quality miniatures, you pay for that luxury.