Author Topic: Custom monster class: steampunk drones  (Read 1464 times)

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
Custom monster class: steampunk drones
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
so, in anticipation of MERCS recon, and myth ks2, I have been liquidating my WH40K collection. honestly, with two little kids, a game that needs that long in one sitting is hard to get to (admittedly my chunks of myth are a lot smaller than I would love, but oh well). That is part of what attracted me to mercs. shorter games, and I can play multiple times if I have the spare time.

So, I am creating an inventory and getting rid of what I have (Yamato, do your son's friends need any Necrons or Orks?) but I am having a hard time parting with my Tau. I don't have that many, but I love the look so much.

so, I figure, if I am not going to play WH40K, what am I going to do with my Tau models? Myth, of course! So I am now into designing a 'steampunk' drone monster class, with drones as my minions and the crisis suits will be my captains. I know this may be too much tech for some players, but I am planning to write rules that should be able to be re-fluffed to be less techy for the purists with a bunch of one type of model. In part I want to justify to myself keeping my models so they don't just collect dust.

Before I design, I wanted to know how everyone deals with ranged minions? I am planning to have my tau drones be a ranged-only minion type (thinking range:4, movement:2), and wanted to know if that would become really difficult. obviously archer won't have a problem, and acolyte and apprentice should be fine, so I am more worried about the brigand, and especially the soldier. Anyone's thoughts?

My current thoughts is that there will be two types of minions, but one will be ranged and the other will provide a buff only, with no attack. (my fluff will be truly steampunk, in the sense that the metal projectiles being shot are powered  by steam (ala gun drones), and the secondary minion type will release steam into the area to cloud visibility (ala shield drones). I am also thinking about adding in my sniper drones as a tertiary minion type, with a ranged attack but a different ruleset than the gun drones (range: tile, for instance)

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Custom monster class: steampunk drones
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
I plan on proxying them in for CPP-209's and drones

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
Range generally isn't too much of a problem for either the Brigand or the Solder. They both have 4 move cards along with 2 attack cards that allow movement. The only problem I've ever had with ranged minions was when the solder was wearing that blue armor that decreases MP by one.

Further, 2 MP should make this even easier since the party could always refresh and just move that much again. It becomes a bigger problem when the monsters can move more than the Heroes.

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
that's why I was planning on limiting the movement like that. I also am tinkering with the idea that they will also try to move to intentionally cluster (some group intelligence, or one 'command drone' idea) but that may be superfluous since most minions tend to stay grouped anyway. Do you guys feel that kind of rule would be necessary?

also, I think the sniper drones will have more movement, but I think they will go straight to a free corner of the tile (which corner would be based on target priorities, and if multiple snipers are present they will go to opposite corners) and then stay there.

I am not trying to limit the class per se, but I don't want this to turn into a feeling of 'man, we still have to track down that one last drone' where the fun is lost because of the tedium of finally getting the card combinations that will let you catch and destroy them.

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
PS granite, you may have just saved me $25 for the CPP 209 and the drones. Maybe. depends on how cool those are. But now that I write that, I will need the card for the ruleset. hmmm, maybe just one set of drones instead of two.

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
I don't think that it will be necessary to have a rule for them to cluster since the scout rules already tend to lead to that.

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:59:11 AM »
Oileta, I have the monster card template done.  Let me know what you want, and I'll make one up for ya.

Of course, I had to play around a bit with it once it was done.

Haemovit

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 01:50:24 AM »
Which is definitely useful information