Author Topic: Secret Achievement Titles  (Read 3454 times)

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Secret Achievement Titles
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:19:14 PM »
Pretty much a la the slaughterfield hidden goals, except for normal play.  Similar to titles, except you can have both and ATs don't let you keep an item.

Something fun to work towards that's not a pregenned story, but lasts across tiles, and gives you a 'win' condition to make you feel like you've achieved something during the session.

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Achievement Titles
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
I like this idea. It reminds me a bit of the personal goals in Arkham Horror, which I quite enjoyed and thought gave everyone something to do.

Pathfinder also tried something similar during Legacy of Fire. Here is a list of those: http://www.purpleduckgames.com/pfc2g

So, for example, we could have:

Tribal Master
Requirement: Kill 20 monsters with the Tribal sub-type this act.
Benefit: All attacks vs monsters with the Tribal sub-type are at -1 TN.

or

Built Up Resistance
Requirement: Gain the poison status effect 3 times this act.
Benefit: You cannot gain the poison status effect.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
Those Pathfinder achievements are pretty Monty...

CarelessOpossum

• Captain
  • Serendipity: +15/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Trickster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
I was going to reply in the other thread that I thought this was a good idea, but since you made a specific thread, I'll type here.

What are your thoughts on how you take on an assignment to get one?  Random shuffle/deal before you start a session like slaughterfield, or choose one before starting?

I wouldn't think that you would want people working on multiple achievements at the same time - too much to keep track of and might alter play somewhat.

I was looking for ways to inject a little more "reward" into the game, as well as some more customization on how your character plays - this might fit both needs.

Some ideas for what titles could grant: (without getting into how to unlock them yet)

Vending Machine:  Ability to throw potions to other heroes up to range 3 at a cost of 1MP.
Bodyguard: Pick one other hero at start of session -  if you are adjacent to that hero ,you may take up to 1 attack per DC that is directed at them.
Troll: One trigger per session.  Heal 1 vitality during the next 3 refresh phases.
Inconspicuous: One trigger per session. Reduce AP cost of one card to 0.
Coward: If you fail a courage check, you may move up to 2 spaces.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
I was thinking shuffling and then randomly picking one.  They should be one per player per session.  The real goal is to give players a reason to push on to the next tile.  It also give players a little bit of conflict of interest, so there's some negotiation or bartering or even a little backstabbing (but just a little) going on.

Things like 'I want to fight grubbers' or 'I want to hit a threat penalty' or 'I'm going to attack the captain, even though that's not the optimal group strategy'

mfaulk80

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
I was actually thinking about tying the Titles into an achievement/feat system.  I think I'm in the minority in that I feel like Heroes progress a bit too rapidly, and so I've nerfed the Item retention from the base game.  I feel like the Titles (particularly the first one, Harbinger) advance Heroes ridiculously quick as well.  I'd like to see the Hero Deck progression be more of a focus for level advancement too.

Anyway, I'm thinking of turning the Titles into 'feats' or 'achievements' that Heroes earn for doing awesome stuff during a Story Quest.  The Feat would only be kept until the end of the Story Quest, but Heroes would still keep on Item per Feat earned in the Quest that just finished.  Similar to what Granite was saying, Feats could vary from session to session (or at least between Story Quests), or at least the way to earn those Feats could change.  I was still playing with the idea of Individual Feats vs Party Feats as I think there are benefits to both.

Granite pointed out some of the positives for Individual Feats.  Party Feats could also change the way a group plays from tile to tile.  For example, and this would admittedly be difficult, the Feat could require the group to kill off all of the Minions prior to destroying the Lair.  A goal like that would obviously change up some of the most common tactics of playing the game.

One thing that I must note is that Heroes would be limited to 5 ways to level up in the game since there are only 5 Advanced cards per Hero.  I have two copies of the game, so I can stretch that out...even allow Heroes to pick up some of the other basic cards. 

Anyway, I posted a thread about this earlier today on BGG:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1173812/titles-feats

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
So I have been brainstorming some more ideas and here is some of what I've come up with:

Hardened Warrior
Unlock: Take a total of 20 damage this act.
Benefit: You have +1 Vitality.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Take a total of 50 points of damage during a story.
Benefit: Every time a tile is cleared, heal 1 vitality.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Take a total of 500 Damage while this achievement is active.
Benefit: You may ignore the first point of damage you take each Darkness Cycle.

Trapper
Unlock: Successfully pass 3 non-combat actions to disarm traps this act.
Benefit: When you play a card that adds at least 1d10 to your disarm attempt, add an additional 1d10 to that attempt.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Successfully pass 9 non-combat actions to disarm traps this story.
Benefit: You have -1 TN to disarm all traps.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Successfully pass 100 non-combat actions to disarm traps while this achievement is active.
Benefit: You may take a non-combat action to disarm a trap for 0 AP once a Hero Cycle.

Potion Drinker
Unlock: Use 5 Potions this act.
Benefit: Focus Potions add 4 FD instead of 3 FD when you use them.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Use 15 Potions this story.
Benefit: Vitality Potions heal an additional point of Vitality when you use them.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Use 100 Potions while this achievement is active.
Benefit: Choose 1: Lucky Potions allow you to have 1 additional hand size when you use them OR Shadow Potions reduce your threat by 4 when you use them.

Built Up Resistance
Unlock: Gain the Poison status effect 2 times this act.
Benefit: Ignore the damage taken in the first refresh phase after gaining the Poison status effect.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Gain the Poison status effect 5 times this story.
Benefit: Automatically remove the Poison status effect after taking damage from it thrice.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Gain the Poison status effect 10 times while this achievement is active.
Benefit: You can no longer gain the Poison status effect.

Tribal Master
Unlock: Kill 25 monsters with the Tribal subtype this act.
Benefit: All attacks vs monsters with the Tribal subtype are at -1 TN.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Kill a total of 100 monsters with the Tribal subtype during a story.
Benefit: All attacks from monsters with the Tribal subtype are at + 1 TN against you.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Kill a total of 1000 monsters with the tribal subtype while this achievement is active.
Benefit: All attacks vs monsters with the Tribal subtype are at an additional -1 TN and Non-Boss monsters with the Tribal subtype will only target you if there are no other available targets.

Shadow Dancer
Unlock: Failed to be Noticed 5 Darkness Cycles by adjacent enemies this act.
Benefit: +1 to Notice
Tier 2:
Unlock: Failed to be Noticed 20 Darkness Cycles by adjacent enemies this story.
Benefit: Once per play session, a monster that would notice you instead fails to notice you.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Failed to be Noticed 250 Darkness Cycles by adjacent enemies while this achievement is active.
Benefit: Normal Movement no longer breaks Shadows.

So that should give you a rough idea where I'm headed at least. They likely all need some balancing, but that can come later.

Oileta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +5/-0
  • Double Captain
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »
I like it, although level 3 could be quite powerful...

on trapper, level 3 benefit, you mean 0 MP not 0 AP.

also, normal movement breaks shadows on brigand???

chimaerical

• Merchant
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Sellsword
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
Although many of these higher tier achievements would prove difficult to keep track of, I really like what you have come up with here. Just a quick brainstorm -

General
Giant killer - killing mini bosses (+bonus to fights)
Collector - maxing out treasure (+ bonus to draws)
Layabout - taking loitering penalty (not sure about reward. Just thought it would be interesting)
Bounty hunter - (placeholder. I don't know enough about quests/agents ATM)
Perhaps an achievement for being unlucky with the dice.

Class specific
Devout - Acolyte
Sharpshooter - Archer
Berserker - Soldier
Elementalist - Apprentice

Weapon specific
Tile specific
 That's all for now...
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”