Author Topic: Loitering House Rules  (Read 2065 times)

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Loitering House Rules
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »
The loitering rules are a tacked on system to prevent players from cycling through their decks willy nilly or camping lairs in hopes of treasure without actually fighting the monsters.  The general consensus I've seen is that the rule, while necessary, is poorly targeted, is affecting the players in unintended situations (when everyone is prone) and doesn't actually do that much to  prevent cycling the deck.

Short of saying 'no kiting, and no loitering', there's should be a better way to target the behavior without all the side effects, and more importantly without game distorting fun destroying 'work arounds' that are technically within the rules.

Manifesto:

1: The loitering rules as they exist are intended to solve a real problem
2: The loitering rules as they exist do not solve that problem
3: The loitering rules as they exist have unintended side effects
4: The correct loitering rules will solve the problem
5: The correct loitering rules will be transparent when outside of situations where they are needed.
6: The correct loitering rules will make the correct way to play the same as the fun way to play, which will be the same as the optimal way.

Personal opinion
7: The correct loitering rules will not penalize players for proceeding cautiously and limiting activations.

Suggestions so far:
1: Complete reset (including healing) after every tile.
2: Threshold for loitering (Active Boss/Mini-Boss/Agent/Lair prevents a loitering penalty)
3: Alternate penalties (Spawn 8 minions)
4: Card cycle rules (you can end your turn, add AP, but not cycle your hand)
5: Local rules (Treasure penalty applies only to the current tile)

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Loitering House Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »
Personally, I like 4 and 5 combined.  If you don't do anything, but don't cycle your hand, the treasure cap on the current tile goes down.  If you don't do anything but DO cycle your hand, the full penalty applies.

Hibsbic

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
Our house rule is just 1 free refresh. Then place the characters about to enter the next tile.

r_b_bergstrom

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Transitive Property of Gaming
  • Hero: Brigand
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
Suggestion #1 could really be split into 1A (including a full heal) and 1B (no heal).  I've been sorely tempted to implement 1B with my group, but have held off because of some of the ripple effects.

Namely:
Many of the traps are _much_ easier if all the heroes start right there at the edge of the Tile. This is the big one.
Moving the Brigand ahead eliminates one of the major drawbacks keeping Shadows from being more reliable.
One of the most interesting fights we ever had was on a very complicated multi-tile layout that happened because one player rushed ahead and the red lines on squares near the intersection made a cool choke point; that fight would have been much less unique and memorable if all the characters started on the same tile.

agentofdoom

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
We use #1 without a heal. It just makes sense for our group and keeps us on our toes.

Gasdasmi

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 01:47:55 AM »
This is a forum. Knowledge Store I do not know where to find it.