Author Topic: Alternatives to Green Stuff for Bases  (Read 4796 times)

mfaulk80

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Alternatives to Green Stuff for Bases
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
Okay, this is really my first foray into painting minis...and my least favorite part is filling those Crawler (etc.) bases with that damn Green Stuff.  The stuff is sticky, somewhat toxic, hard to work with, and it takes a long time to apply.  I know that Green Stuff is used for molding, etc., but it seems like there should be something easier to use for a task as simple as filling in those Crawler bases.  I have access to dental supplies that I'm thinking about trying out, but I'd love to hear if there is something else out there that is a perfect fit. 

What is everyone else using for a base filler?  Any suggestions?

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Green Stuff for Bases
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
Have you considered rebasing them?

mfaulk80

• Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
Not really....but only because I haven't done it before.  Even just breaking off the old bases makes me a bit nervous to be honest, but maybe I should at least look into it.

Ace Histoli

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
Total newbie here, too... and my kids & general busy-ness have kept me from making much progress on my own minis. I was thinking of trying the "strips of rough-torn masking tape and then just paint over" method which apparently works okay. Anybody care to confirm or deny?

MisterMannIndy

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »
Okay, this is really my first foray into painting minis...and my least favorite part is filling those Crawler (etc.) bases with that damn Green Stuff.  The stuff is sticky, somewhat toxic, hard to work with, and it takes a long time to apply.  I know that Green Stuff is used for molding, etc., but it seems like there should be something easier to use for a task as simple as filling in those Crawler bases.  I have access to dental supplies that I'm thinking about trying out, but I'd love to hear if there is something else out there that is a perfect fit. 

I'm in the same boat and had never painted a miniature before being introduced to them with Myth.  Like most, I scoured the internet for all sorts of help articles and videos.  I have heard that the green stuff is pretty hard to work with (again, I am new so I don't know, but it sounds like you're experiencing it firsthand) so I picked up some Milliput and have been relatively pleased with the initial results.  It does get pretty sticky, but a little water on whatever tool you're using to spread it out works fine.  I used an exacto blade.  For grins, I tried creating a stone floor for the Torchbearer figure I had already glued to the base.  I figured I'd give it a shot and see what I could do ... really couldn't hurt anything given it's sorta an ancillary character anyhow.  Here's the finished floor on the base - mini still WIP.

What is everyone else using for a base filler?  Any suggestions?
Aside from Milliput you have another option for the crawlers if you want … go baseless.  Admittedly I was somewhat forced down this path as the disgruntled backer who’s pledge I purchased had removed all the miniatures from their bases (he hated the bases from McG).  So I made the decision to paint my crawlers and simply leave them off any base whatsoever.  Here’s what they look like on the board.

Who knows, I may decide to base these guys once Wave2 arrives and I am forced to make a decision on what to do with the additional crawlers. 

For now I am happy with how things sit … oooh, bad pun.   :o

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »
I'm interested in how the crawlers hold up when going baseless.  It seems like those tiny little spike feet are a durability risk.

MisterMannIndy

• Lair
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
I'm interested in how the crawlers hold up when going baseless.  It seems like those tiny little spike feet are a durability risk.

So far they've held up fine, but I'm not dropping dice on 'em either (like Brian did to the Brigand in the game play video).   ;D  If I have to take these to the repair shop for leg reattachment I'll be basing them pretty quick.

Detail Brush

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
  • I love painting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:58 AM »
The trick to working with Green Stuff is using the right tools. I use a sculpting tool set similar to this -
http://www.amazon.com/SE-DD312-12-Piece-Stainless-Carvers/dp/B000SVRSRY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403335145&sr=8-5&keywords=sculpting+tools

Always wet your fingers when working with Green Stuff, and wet the tool tips also. That way it doesn't stick to you. You should also wet the surface you're working on, like a hobby/craft mat. There are plenty of youtube videos about Green Stuff and how to properly use it.

Here's an example of what I did with Green Stuff (the banner is completely made of Green Stuff, molded onto the metal banner frame)-

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:29:48 AM by Detail Brush »

mfaulk80

• Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
The trick to working with Green Stuff is using the right tools. I use a sculpting tool set similar to this -
http://www.amazon.com/SE-DD312-12-Piece-Stainless-Carvers/dp/B000SVRSRY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403335145&sr=8-5&keywords=sculpting+tools

Always wet your fingers when working with Green Stuff, and wet the tool tips also. That way it doesn't stick to you. You should also wet the surface you're working on, like a hobby/craft mat. There are plenty of youtube videos about Green Stuff and how to properly use it.

Here's an example of what I did with Green Stuff (the banner is completely made of Green Stuff, molded onto the metal banner frame)-

That's awesome!  I think that type of work is where Green Stuff shines. 

I've watched lots of videos, and I have a bunch of cool instruments.  I'll admit that I did forget to use water on my 2nd attempt, but I still feel like there should be a more ideal material for simple gap filling.  When it comes down to it, I'm just a bit impatient with a process that seems like 'busy work'.  Cutting the green stuff, mixing it, working it in, trying to maintain enough water so it doens't get too sticky...all for a single mini.  It just feels like 'busy work' needed prior to the fun and more creative stuff.   

I actually pulled out some of my dental stuff, and it seems to work pretty well for this particular project.  It's easier to work with since I can just squeeze it directly from the tube into the gap.  It's also not nearly as sticky since it isn't an epoxy type adhesive.  It's activated by light which gives me plenty of working time, and then I just zap it when I satisfied with the results.   I was concerned that it wouldn't form a proper bond to the plastic, but it appears plenty solid.  I was also concerned that the paint wouldn't stick, but that looks to be okay as well...

I may try out Milliput someday, but it seems like it has some of the same drawbacks as Green Stuff (at a cursory glance). 

Keats

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
hot glue works to fill gaps in bases, I fill from the bottom to keep it from going all over the mini.

mezzin

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +6/-0
  • Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
Nice one with the hotglue tip I need to fill a lot of bases :)

Vendriko

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »

Sjeng

• Lair
  • Serendipity: +9/-1
  • Myth Captain backer
    • View Profile
    • Ye Olde Inn HQ blog
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
Alternative to greenstuff, which I personally prefer for basing, is Milliput. Easy to apply, easy to work with, dries fast, takes paint very well.
tutorial here: http://yeoldeinn-heroquest.blogspot.nl/2012/06/custom-hq-miniature-base-with-miliput.html
Myth Captain backer, HeroQuest fan, Zombicide fan, Mice & Mystics lover, miniature enthousiast.