Author Topic: Mini Fan Expansions: Input Wanted  (Read 1654 times)

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Mini Fan Expansions: Input Wanted
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
So I've been working on some more fan expansion stuff and wanted some input from the community before continuing to go forward.

My intent, ultimately, is to have these fan expansion materials available for print on one of the many print on demand services like artscow or printstudio. As such, I've been working on breaking everything down into 52 card segments. However, it hasn't been so clear to me what would be the optimum way to do this. Therefore, I'm going to lay out various alternatives and their pros and cons below.

Before I start I just need to give a little background on what these mini-expansions are intended to entail. As it stands, I want each to include a new character (see eg my Swashbuckler concept), variant monsters, quests, and possible merchants or variant darkness deck cards. I'd also like to include, as mini-cards, new items and, possibly, the achievement system I've mentioned in another thread. I'm currently working on 4 expansions that fit this general description.

With that background, I give you the options I've been debating:

Each Expansion Would be One Large Deck and One Mini Deck

Pros:
Most cards per expansion.
Most coherent narrative.

Cons:
Highest cost per expansion.

Each Expansion would be One Large Deck with a Mini Deck Shared Between Them

Pros:
Middle cost.
Narrative only slightly disjointed. Most can probably tell what goes where.

Cons:
Depending on the amount shared, may have no room for achievements.

The Expansions Would be Consolidated Into as Few Decks as Possible

Pros:
Lowest Costs for all the material.

Cons:
Will take the longest to produce in full (as all the material will need play testing).
Largest up front cost.
Expansion no longer mini.
Least room for non-characters.

Don't Worry About the Breakdown and Let Individuals Decide What They Want

Pros:
Can release stuff as it's completed.

Cons:
Costs can be high if something released after you placed an order.
Coherence between materials likely lost.
I personally have a much easier time working within hard limits of size.

So that's what I've been thinking. I welcome any input you all have. Further, if any of you have another idea, I'd be happy to hear it. Also, if any of you need some more info about what my plans are before commenting substantively, I'd be happy to oblige.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:14:27 PM by thesigma »

Jenoimala

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Fan Expansions: Input Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:19 AM »
I am very pleased to be a member here. In order for me to access the data fully.