Author Topic: Shadows of Brimstone  (Read 1967 times)

Joshua

• Minion
  • Serendipity: +5/-21
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Acolyte
Shadows of Brimstone
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
So I got a chance to check out Shadows of Brimstone at GenCon. WOW is all I can say, I'm not trying to knock MYTH, but this is the game I wish MYTH had been. This game is so fun, and is packed FULL of depth, without bogging it down like an RPG (RPG light is probably what I would call it). I cannot wait to get this game (I baked it). This is almost certainly my dungeon crawl of the future.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows of Brimstone
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »
I have my doubts about whether it will be as tactically interesting as Myth.  The big reason I like Myth so much is the card based combat gives you interesting choices every round.

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:34 AM »
Mind you, I'm in for a minecart and I'll prolly be getting most of the extras

Endevor

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »
It is not a tactical game at all, i am a MC backer and i played last week with the copy of a friend.

It is a "full luck" kind of game, like the other FFP products, i am not complaining, i was looking for this kind of easy and relatively short game, i game i can play at the beginning of each of my club's game night with a lot of different people.

About the game not being tactical, there is almost no LOS rule (no figures block los only walls), and the dice move rule make you do "what you can", everything is random in this game, the lenght of the game (we tried the first and shortest mission and we had no chance to win it, too much passages, to few rooms, and i rolled badly for the lantern. We entered the last tile on the last track point, we poped more than 25 monsters on the last tile, we lost because there were 2 "advance the track by 1" cards but even without it there was no way we could kill everyone without rolling a single 9+ on the dices at the beginning of the game.

I am not saying it is a bad game at all, i am just saying it is not a skill game, it will be fun, it will make you live adventures but i don't think you will be able to say "we won because we played good".

Granite26

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
Yeah, SoB and Myth get put in the same bucket, and there's a lot of people wondering why Myth can't be more like SoB, and my response is always that Myth is doing something unique, something new, and something special.

Not trying to fanboy or gloss here.  My comparison is usually to the first Assassin's Creed game.  If you remember, that game had no end of issues, a lot of broken mechanics and repetitive, not-fun game play (hunting flags).  But in the end, it formed the basis for a solid game series based around a set of novel mechanics.  I really feel like myth is that solid set of novel mechanics.  The way they stack together creates a MtG like endless playscape of novel emergent behaviors.