Author Topic: Myth - Star Wars  (Read 3375 times)

thetang22

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +18/-1
    • View Profile
Myth - Star Wars
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »
Lately I've been wanting to put my creative juices to work with something Star Wars related.  I've tossed around a few ideas, and I'm starting to think a Star Wars variation of Myth would be something that interests me greatly.

I'm just now delving into the basics.  I'm wanting to start with the Heroes, and see where that can go.  I'd like to take inspiration from the existing heroes in Myth, but not just do a copy/paste.  One thing I'd like to do is have hybrids of the mechanics seen in the existing hero mechanics and abilities.  A couple examples I've been brainstorming:

Trooper - a mix of the Soldier and Archer.  He could be played Offensively or Defensively, like the Soldier.  He doesn't utilize Rage, but his abilities would be comparable to the Soldier in the sense that he would be made to get into the mix.

He would utilize Ammo, like the Archer, but the difference would be that his ammo isn't required to do abilities.  Instead, an offensive action could have a minor effect, but if you expend an ammo resource to do so, it could create more powerful effects.  The idea is that his Ammo would be something like a gun-operated grenade/missile/rocket.  He could either attack with his regular ammunition, or boost with a rocket.  He could potentially have different types of ammo too, to create a variety of effects.  Perhaps a smoke grenade to mess with LoS, or an Ion grenade to effect robotic targets more severely.

Jedi - this could be a hybrid between the Apprentice and the Acolyte or Soldier.  The general idea would be a melee character with some utility abilities.  In upgrading the class, you could focus more on the melee to be a traditional saber-wielding Knight, or focus more on the utility/spell route.

In terms of Gameplay, I thought the Apprentice's "Ongoing" gameplay would be a convenient way to do different lightsaber stances (Soresu form, Ataru form, etc...). Another idea was to use either the Acolyte's "Faith" or the Soldier's "Rage" rebranded as "the Force".  This could allow the Jedi to pump abilities by calling on the Force in a similar way to how the Acolyte and Soldier can pump their abilities.

--------

If you were to create 5 hero classes for a Star Wars version of Myth, what 5 would be most iconic to you?  What sort of a gameplay could you envision those classes having?

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
Re: Myth - Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
Jedi - Mind tricks, force push, and a stronger melee attack than the Sith.
Sith - Weaker melee attack than the Jedi, but has ranged force lightning, choking, etc.
Bounty Hunter - Strong ranged attacks, like bombs and grenades.
Smuggler - "In shadow" type things, with fast, light ranged attacks.
Ewok - Because why the heck not?!?  Jubjub!

Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Serendipity: +8/-1
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Skald
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »
i don't think you could have a jedi and a sith as heroes, there's no reason they'd ever be on the same side.
most SW games split up jedi into several different classes, Jedi Guardian for the more melee warrior types, Jedi Consular for the more force powers wizardy type. there's also jedi watchmen, jedi shadows, even a jedi sniper or two knocking around.

what you could do is just have a jedi' then have their abilities cards split into various disciplines, (lightsabre skills, telekinesis, healing etc) and have each jedi choose two or three of those disciplines to create a customisable class.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
what you could do is just have a jedi' then have their abilities cards split into various disciplines, (lightsabre skills, telekinesis, healing etc) and have each jedi choose two or three of those disciplines to create a customisable class.

That's what Journeyman class upgrades are for.  You start out as a basic Jedi, but upgrade to a Jedi Guardian or Jedi Consular at Journeyman level, based on whether you want to focus more on lightsaber combat or force abilities.  I'm sure they could get even more specific at Master level.

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:53:50 AM »
in most star wars rpg's theres no such thing as a basic jedi, even the newest recruit would be a jedi knight or jedi consular, then a knight would upgrade to a guardian or sentinel, a consular would upgrade to a sage or shadow.
i was thinking about it and another idea would be, you could play as a human, wookie, twi'lek, etc and each species has its base stats and one or two unique abilites (actioned using something similar to the fate dice) , then you choose two or three sets of cards and its the choice of your cards that defines your class. if you choose all guns and explosive type cards you're a trooper, if you choose guns and sneaky cards you're a smuggler.
if you choose lightsabre and force powers - a jedi knight, lightsabre and sneaky - a jedi shadow etc etc.

thetang22

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
in most star wars rpg's theres no such thing as a basic jedi, even the newest recruit would be a jedi knight or jedi consular, then a knight would upgrade to a guardian or sentinel, a consular would upgrade to a sage or shadow.

Someone's been playing too much SWTOR!  I've never been a big fan of the way they divided the Jedi classes in that game.

When I say "basic jedi"' I'm talking about either a Padawan (if the entry class focuses on the early years of Jedi training), or your standard Jedi Knight.

Tott_Donetta

• Double Captain
  • Myth Captain Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
I have played it, but they got the classes from the wizards of the coast star wars rpg from a few years!

thinking of it more, choose the species then choose your abilities rather than choose a class is pretty similar to the original star wars galaxies system. i always thought that was a great idea (admitedly they had trouble balancing it for an mmo and the frankly immature player base) I think it could be a interesting mechanic to base a card game around.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:29:23 AM by Tott_Donetta »

thetang22

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »
Here are a few rough drafts I've come up with for the Trooper and Jedi.  Existing keywords on the cards will be removed/changed to make them relevant for the classes, and all the abilities will ultimately get Star Wars-themed names.  If an existing keyword is removed from a card and not replaced with another keyword, the ability might get a slight adjustment in power to compensate for the lack of previous functionality.

Trooper
Action -                   9
Reaction -               6
Action/Reaction -     2
Combat Reaction -   8
0AP -                      11
1AP -                      10
2AP -                       4

1. Sprint – (1AP, Action)
2. Sprint – (1AP, Action)
3. Hustle – (1AP, Action/Reaction)
4. Riding the Edge(SOL) – (2AP, Action)
5. Through a Needle's Eye (ARC) – (1AP, Action)
6. To the Knee (ARC) – (0AP, Combat)
7. Kharon's Payment (ARC) – (2AP, Action)
8. Gift of the Underworld (ARC) – (2AP, Action)
9. Attack (SOL) – (1AP, Action)
10. Attack (SOL) – (1AP, Action)
11. ?????Orion’s Tears (ARC) – (2AP, Action)
12. Wayfarer’s Ruse (ARC) – (1AP, Combat)
13. Drawing the Ire (SOL) – (0AP, Combat)
14. Your Mother is a Crawler (SOL) – (0AP, Combat)
15. Your Mother is a Crawler (SOL) – (0AP, Combat)
16. Impenetrable (SOL) – (1AP, Combat)
17. Impenetrable (SOL) – (1AP, Combat)
18. I’ll Take That (SOL) – (0AP, Combat)
19. Battle Roar (SOL) – (0AP, Reaction)
20. Retrieve (ARC) – (1AP, Action/Reaction)
21. Special Missile 1 – (0AP, Reaction)
22. Special Missile 1 – (0AP, Reaction)
23. Special Missile 1 – (0AP, Reaction)
24. Special Missile 1 – (0AP, Reaction)
25. Special Missile 1 – (0AP, Reaction)

Jedi
Action -                    6
Reaction -                10
Action/Reaction -      5
Combat Reaction -    4
0AP -                       12
1AP -                       10
2AP -                       3

1. Sprint – (1AP, Action)
2. Hustle – (1AP, Action/Reaction)
3. Hustle – (1AP, Action/Reaction)
4. Force Leap – (2AP, Action) Range 3, Damage 3.  Choose a square within LoS.  Place your character on that square.  If there is a target adjacent to this new spot, you may Attack it
5. Disengage (SOL) – (0AP, Combat)
6. I’ll Take That (SOL) – (0AP, Combat)
7. Smite (ACO) – (1AP, Action/Reaction)
8. Smite (ACO) – (1AP, Action/Reaction)
9. Guided by Light (ACO) – (1AP, Combat)
10. Follow Through (SOL) – (0AP, Reaction)
11. Angelic Word (ACO) – (1AP, Action)
12. Harvest of Bones (SOL) – (2AP, Action)
13. Harvest of Bones (SOL) – (2AP, Action)
14. Blade Dance (SOL) – (1AP, Combat)
15. Blessings of the Dawn (ACO) – (0AP, Reaction)
16. Form 1: Shii-Cho – (0AP, Reaction) most basic form, defense against multiple enemies
17. Form 2: Makashi – (0AP, Reaction) "dueling" form, focuses on elegant 1-handed form
18. Form 3: Soresu – (0AP, Reaction) most defensive form, designed to deflect blaster fire
19. Force Push – (1AP, Action/Reaction) move a target in a direction, and cause Knockdown
20. Keepers of the Peace – (0AP, Reaction) reduce threat and/or AP
21. Attend the Weak (ACO) – (1AP, Action)
22. Stand Fast (ACO) – (0AP, Reaction)
23. Feet of the Saints (ACO) – (0AP, Reaction)
24. Pray (ACO) – (0AP, Reaction) “Use the Force”
25. Pray (ACO) – (0AP, Reaction) “Use the Force”
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:28:09 AM by thetang22 »

thetang22

• Acoylyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »
Been doing some work on the Jedi.  A lot of the specifics are still unclear, but the basics are in place.  The <Force/Faith> (unsure on naming) will be the same mechanic as the Acolyte's "Faith" mechanic.

1.   Sprint – (1AP, Action) – Move.  You gain 3 additional MP.
2.   Hustle – (1AP, Action/Reaction) - Move.  You gain 2 additional MP.
3.   Hustle – (1AP, Action/Reaction) - Move.  You gain 2 additional MP.
4.   Disengage – (0AP, Interrupt) – Before resolving an enemy melee attack targeting you, gain 2 MP to spend immediately and ignore the attack.  Not considered a Move.
5.   Deflect – (0AP, Interrupt) – Parry.  Ignore 1 enemy attack targeting you.  If the attack was with the “Blaster” type, roll 1FD.  On a <Jedi symbol>, that attacker suffers the damage instead.
6.   Slash – (1AP, Action/Reaction) – Dmg: 1, Rng: W, Attack, Melee.  Attack 1 target within range.  If played after Precision Strike, you may play this card as an Interrupt.
7.   Slash – (1AP, Action/Reaction) - Dmg: 1, Rng: W, Attack, Melee.  Attack 1 target within range.  If played after Precision Strike, you may play this card as an Interrupt.
8.   Precision Strike – (1AP, Interrupt) – Dmg: 1, Rng: W, Attack, Melee.  Attack 1 target within range.
9.   Spinning Kick  – (0AP, Reaction) – Dmg: 1, Rng: W, Attack, Melee.  Attack 1 target within range that was the target of a Slash during this Hero Cycle.
10.   Force Stun  – (1AP, Action) – Dmg: 2, Rng: 3, Attack, <Force/Faith>.  Attack 1 target within range.  This attack gains a number of additional d10 equal to your <Force/Faith>.  If the target has the Droid trait, it is knocked Prone.
11.   Flurry  – (2AP, Action) – Dmg: 1, Rng: 1, Attack, Melee.  Attack 3 adjacent targets in a 90° arc as shown.  This attack affects up to 2 additional adjacent targets as shown, adding 1 additional target per <Force/Faith>.
12.   Flurry  – (2AP, Action) - Dmg: 1, Rng: 1, Attack, Melee.  Attack 3 adjacent targets in a 90° arc as shown.  This attack affects up to 2 additional adjacent targets as shown, adding 1 additional target per <Force/Faith>.
13.   Riposte  – (1AP, Interrupt) – Dmg: 1, Rng: 1, Counterattack, Melee.  After resolving an enemy attack targeting you, attack 1 target within range per <Force/Faith>.
14.   Discipline  – (0AP, Reaction) – Rng: Tile, <Force/Faith>.  Each Hero within range gains a number of FD to Attack Action equal to your <Force/Faith>.
15.   Rejuventate  – (1AP, Action) – Rng: 5, <Force/Faith>, Heal.  Restore Vitality equal to twice your <Force/Faith> to 1 target within range. You gain 3 Threat.
16.   Force Valor  – (0AP, Reaction) – Rng: Tile, <Force/Faith>.  Grants all Heroes -1TN to Courage tests and +1D10 to Hero Attack actions.
17.   Feel the Force  – (0AP, Reaction) – Rng: Tile, <Force/Faith>.  Each Hero within range reduces the AP cost of Attack actions by 1.
18.   Use the Force  – (0AP, Reaction) - Shuffle your discard pile and draw 3 cards.  Place each <Force/Faith> card drawn on this card facedown and discard the rest.  Each facedown card is considered 1 <Force/Faith>.
19.   Use the Force  – (0AP, Reaction) - Shuffle your discard pile and draw 3 cards.  Place each <Force/Faith> card drawn on this card facedown and discard the rest.  Each facedown card is considered 1 <Force/Faith>.
20.   Force Leap – (2AP, Action) – Dmg: 3, Rng: 3, Attack, Melee.  Choose an empty space within range.  Place your character in that space.  If there is a target within melee range of this space, you may Attack that target.  Add 1d10 per <Force/Faith>.  Not considered a Move.
21.   Force Push – (1AP, Action/Reaction) – Rng: 4 <Force/Faith>.  Target is knocked Prone.  May add additional targets per <Force/Faith>.
22.   Keepers of the Peace – (0AP, Reaction) – Rng: Tile, <Force/Faith>.  Lower the Darkness Meter by 1.  Each Hero in range lowers their Threat by 1.
23.   Form 1: Shii-Cho – (0AP, Reaction) – Ongoing.  TN+1 against attacks with the “Blaster” type.  You may only have 1 Form active at a time.
24.   Form 2: Makashi – (0AP, Reaction) – Ongoing.  Add 1d10 to Melee attacks when you don’t have anything equipped in your secondary equipment slot.  You may only have 1 Form active at a time.
25.   Form 3: Soresu – (1AP, Reaction) – Ongoing.  TN+1.  TN+2 against attacks with the “Blaster” type.  Roll 1 additional FD when playing Deflect.  You may only have 1 Form active at a time.