Author Topic: Mini Fan Expansion 1: It Came from the Sea: Contributors Wanted  (Read 3431 times)

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Mini Fan Expansion 1: It Came from the Sea: Contributors Wanted
« on: November 22, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
As mentioned in http://www.landsofmyth.com/Forum/index.php?topic=877.0 I am putting together some mini fan expansions. I've been working on this for several months off and on and am currently in need of some assistance to keep this project going.

First, I'd like to outline the basic scope of the first expansion. I want it to be available on a print on demand site such as artscow or printstudio. I've decided that the best size to aim for is one full sized deck and one mini deck. The first expansion is to be aquatic themed. It will include my Swashbuckler concept character (http://www.landsofmyth.com/Forum/index.php?topic=838.0), variant monsters, quests, darkness deck cards, traps, upgrade cards, items, and introduce a new achievement system (see my post here: http://www.landsofmyth.com/Forum/index.php?topic=854.0).

In order to maximize the potential audience for this expansion, I want to limit the assets used to the components in the base game for this first expansion. That way all that will be needed to play this expansion is the base game, these 2 new decks, and possibly a new mini for the new hero.

My aim is to up the difficulty in this expansion as compared to the base game. I also want to plug some of the holes I see in the base game. I, however, haven't playtested anything besides the Swashbuckler.

I will be posting the designs I have in the next few posts. I welcome any and all comments. And feel free to make suggestions for more cards. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:06:45 AM by thesigma »

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Fan Expansion 1: It Came from the Sea: Contributors Wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:39:19 AM »
Variant Monsters

First up are the variant monsters. These are mostly done. I just need some more ideas for Admiral Yardy's attacks. These have not been playtested yet, so any help is appreciated for balance purposes. The main goal here is to create harder monsters. I also want them to plug two major holes I've found in the game. The first is for the treasure bag to change more. The second is to stop characters from being constantly equipped with all blue items via titles.

Monster Name: Rigger (Variant Grubber)
Classification: Tribal, Intellect, Aquatic, Minion
Defense: 6
Vitality: 1
Movement: 4
Courage: 5
Attack: Cleave: 1 Attack, 1d10, TN 7, Range: 1, 1 Damage
Special: 2 FD on Hit
Cut Purse: [Darkness] = Steal 1 Gold. Can recur.
Plunder: [Guile] [Darkness] = Add 2 White Treasure Tokens to the bag.
Overwhelming Numbers: For every 4 Riggers attacking a single target, -1 TN for all Riggers attacking or making courage checks directed at that target.
Priority: Surrounded by Most Riggers, Proximity, Threat
Threat Range: 4
Spawn: Normal: 4 Riggers; Heavy: 4 Riggers and 1 Capt’n

Monster Name: Capt’n (Variant Mucker)
Classification: Tribal, Intellect, Aquatic, Captain
Defense: 6x2
Vitality: 5
Movement: 5
Courage: 3
Attack: Chop: 1 Attack, 3d10, TN 5, Range: 1, 3 Damage
Special: 3 FD on Hit
Pilfer: [Darkness] = Steal 1 Random Item.
Loot: [Guile] [Darkness] = Remove 1 Blue Treasure Token from bag.
Priority: Best Equipped, Proximity, Threat
Threat Range: 6
Buff: Captain’s Motivation: All Riggers have -1 TN when attacking or making courage checks against Heroes.

Monster Name: Admiral Yardy (Variant Yardu)
Classification: Undead Giant, Aquatic, Mini-Boss
Defense: 6x3
Vitality: 9
Movement: 6
Attacks:
Wild Strike: 1 Attack, 5d10, TN 3, Range: 2, 1 Damage per Success
Special: 5 FD on Hit
Gash: [Rage] = Target Gains Bleed DoT for 1 round. Can recur.
[Faith Ability Needed]
[Name Needed]: [Arcane] = Raise Darkness Meter by 1. Can recur.
[Guile Ability Needed]
[Name Needed]:: [Nature] = Apply the results of this attack to another target within range. Can recur.
Wild: [Darkness] = Counts as 1 of each other die face.
Priority: Most Potential Targets, Guile, Proximity, Threat
Threat Range: 7
Buff:
Admiral’s Motivation: All Capt’ns and Riggers have -1 TN when attacking or making courage checks against Heroes.
Immunities: Prone, Fear, Bleed
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:46:36 AM by thesigma »

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
Darkness Card(s)

So I wanted this card to be highly variable because I wanted to minimize the number of Darkness Cards needed in the expansion. I also wanted to plug the hole of there being no challenge once a lair is gone. I am welcome to any designs for more cards here as well though.

Card #1
Expansion Name: It Came From the Sea
Event: If there is no Lair on the tile, roll a d10. Spawn that many Riggers from the edge of the tile closest to the most Heroes.
Threat Penalty: Treat the Treat Penalty as 7. Roll a Fate Dice. On a [Arcane] or [Nature] spawn a Rough Waters Trap on the Tile. On a [Rage] or [Faith] spawn a Cannon Trap on the Tile. On a [Guile] or [Darkness] spawn an Unluck Aura Trap on the tile.
Activation: Mini-Boss, Captain, Minion
Spawn: Roll a Fate Dice. On [Rage], [Faith], [Arcane], or [Nature] Normal Spawn. On [Guile] Heavy Spawn. On [Darkness] Heavy Spawn and the spawned monsters activate immediately.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Traps

So far I've come up with 3 traps. I'd like to come up with 3 more to round out the darkness face. None of these have been playtested yet. I welcome any input. So far none of them have disarm effects, which I intend to add. I'd like the disarm effects to be more interesting than merely rolling a dice (such as gathering up your own cannon to fire back at the cannon trap). The Unluck Aura trap is designed to make the Swashbuckler viable right out of the gate in this expansion.

Unluck Aura - All Hero’s must reroll all Attacks and Non-Combat Actions on a Tile containing this trap. The worst of the two results is applied to the TN. A Hero can ignore this effect if an item with the Luck subtype is equipped.
Rough Waters - On Refresh all Heroes must make a Non-Combat Action roll TN 3. Failure results in being knocked Prone.
Canon - Priority: Most Targets, Highest Treat, Guile. Activates on refresh. 2 Damage to Target Square. 1 Damage to all adjacent squares. 

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
Act, Chapter, Story, and Arc Quests

I don't have much here in the way of quests yet. I was planing on filling them in last. I do however have an idea for a new type of quest that will be unique to these fan expansions: the Arc Quest. An Arc is made up of 3 Story quests. The first story in the Arc introduces the new darkness threat. The second two continue the story with the last act of the third story having some resolution. The Arc quest will also introduce a new mechanic to the game. It Came from the Sea's are Achievements (discussed below).

The quest rewards for an arc will be new upgrade cards (discussed below) and new unlockable achievements.

I want these Stories to be more interactive that those in the basegame with some real decision making.

Arc 1: Story 1: Act 1 [Name Needed]

Intro:
A Swashbuckler washed up on shore. Hero’s arrive in town and hear tales of Swashbuckler and her encounters with the Darkness. Riggers attack from docks. Swashbuckler arrives at same time to help.

Special Rules:
Use It Came from the Sea Darkness Card
Only Use It Came from the Sea Item Deck

Quest:
Modified Slaughter Field from docks. Just Riggers in higher and higher numbers. Start with 3 and ramp up to 7. Capt’n as wave 8. After dealing 3 damage to Capt'n all retreat and Heroes win.

Conclusion:
Ship retreats but stays anchored nearby. Swashbuckler tells tale. She is from far away headed to this town to ask for aid with fighting Riggers when attacked by Rigger ship. She fell overboard and was washed up on shore. She apologizes for bringing the treat to their shores but asks for aid.

Reward: 2 Treasure Draws.

Arc 1: Story 1: Act 2 [Name Needed]

Intro:
Shipped is anchored off shore and begins firing cannons at the town. Heroes need to decide how to get to it to stop it.

Swim: Heroes arrive on the ship while the Riggers least expect it. bit are tired. +1 AP per card played by Heroes. There are only 5 Riggers on deck to begin with. Starting 3 Hero Cycles later Modified Slaughterfiled waves start as per last quest except there are only 3 waves.
Get Rowboat: Riggers see you coming. There are 7 Riggers on Deck. Modified Slaughtefield starts in 2 HCs. 5 Waves total.
Wait Until Night then Snack On: Riggers don't see you coming but town is nearly destroyed. 4 Riggers on Deck. Waves start 3 HC in. 4 waves total.

Additional Final Wave of Capt'n regardless of choice made above. Heroes win when Capt'n is defeated.

Conclusion: The Heroes are victorious in ending the Rigger treat and celebrate. However, one of the Heroes notices a light in the distance. The Heroes celebration fades as they realize this is but one ship in an armada just off shore.

Reward:
Swim: 1 Random Blue Treasure. 1 Random Green Treasure. 1 Treasure Draw.
Rowboat: 2 Treasure Draw.
Wait for Night: None.

Arc 1: Story 1: Act 3 [Name Needed]

Intro: The Heroes decided to strike at the heart of the fleet before they get to shore. Pretend to be Rigger ship and get close to Flagship. Jump on board and attack.

Special Rule: Ignore Darkness Card Event on 3rd Tile.

Quest: Spawner on first Tile. Spawner and Capt'n on second Tile. Admiral Yardie on 3rd tile.

Conclusion: While Admiral Yardi was defeated, the fleet was not destroyed. From now on Riggers/Capt’n can populate tiles. Add expansion quests to quest deck.

Reward: Heroes unlock Achievement system and base achievements. 

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
New Upgrade Cards

Another hole I've found with Myth is the lack of deck building. Therefore, I want this expansion to add generic themed cards that can be used to customize any heroes' deck. I want these to look and act similar to Agent cards (but be traded in like Novice cards) but be tired to the theme of the mini-expansion rather than a single bad guy. I want the power level to be on par with Novice cards. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

Damage: 0, Range: Tile 
Treasure pops after killing 2 minions this Hero Cycle.
Reaction, 1 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] Yes

Damage: 2, Range: 1 
Melee Attack
Add this FD Recipe to you attack this round: [Guile] [Guile] You may return this card to your hand during the Refresh Phase instead of Discarding it.
Action, 1 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] Yes

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
Item Cards

Most of these are also first drafts. I wanted these new items to feel different than the basic weapons so I gave them more static abilities, abilities that replace normal effects, and added consumables that do other things than just heal or buff.

Swashbuckler Starting Gear

Mop +1d10, +1 FD, Range: 1
Guile: -1 Threat

Adventurer’s Gear
+1 Vitality

Consolation Prize
Luck
If your Slots Roll has 4 Darkness Faces or more, then you may treat your entire Slots Roll as 2 Guile Faces instead.

Weapons:

Rapier
+2d10, +1FD, Range: 1
Guile - [Critical Attack] Bleed DoT, reoccuring

Countering Rapier:
+2d10, +2FD, Range: 1
When the Parry card is played, may search through deck for Riposte Card and immediately play it.

Feinting Rapier
If Target is missed, TN to hit attacked Monster is reduced by 1 for the rest of the Hero Cycle.

Tridant
+2d10, +1FD, Range: 2
Aquatic creatures -1 TN to hit

Cutlass:
Hack: FD: [Guile] Target -1d10 to hit and -1 FD next Darkness Cycle

Lucky Blade
Lucky Subtype; Once per Hero Cycle may reroll any d20 roll.

Boarding Axe:
+2d10, +1FD, Range: 2
FD: [Rage] May move hit monster to any other square withing reach.

Cat-o-Nine-Tails:
+1d10, +3FD, Range: 1
All attacks deal -1 damage.
FD: [Guile] Attack hits additional target. Can recur.
FD: [Rage] Target gains bleed Dot. Can recur.

Whip: 0 Dam, 2 Range, FD for bleed dots
+1d10, +2FD, Range: 2
All attacks with Whip deal 0 damage but cost only 1 AP.
FD: [Rage] Target gains bleed Dot. Can recur.

Switchblade:
+1FD, Range: 1
+1 Damage if in Shadows

Speargun:
Requires Ammo
FD: [Nature] Target is knocked back one square away from Hero attacking if square is unoccupied.

Off Hands:

New Buckler: +1 TN or +1 TN to 1 adjacent Hero

Dueling Cape: +1 TN; +1 to be Noticed in Shadows

Main-Gauche - At the begining of a Hero Cycle pick one: -1TN to hit or +1 TN to be hit

Beer stein: Holy Symbol; +1 Faith; may reroll one d10 per turn 

Coral Focus: Water subtype spells have -1 TN to hit; FD [Arcane] Return a Water subtype spell from your discard pile to your hand.

Turtle Shell Shield: +1 TN; -1 Fire Damage

Armor

Pirate Coat: +2 HP; Aquatic Minion/Captains FD effects fail against you

Aquatic Armor: +3 HP; aquatic creatures have +1 TN against you

Vest: +1 HP; aquatic creatures roll 1 fewer FD against you

Sharkskin Armor: +2 HP; may move through, but not end your movement, on spaces representing water.

Helmet

Bicorn: +1 Vitality; -1 TN when attacking Aquatic Minions and Captains

Tricorn: +1 Vitality; Riggers Overwhelming Numbers ability doesn't apply to attacks made against you.

Eyepatch: May change 1 FD result each attack to Guile

Bandana: -1 TN when attacking Aquatic Minions

Accessory

Loaded Dice - Lucky; You may treat any Slots Roll as though it had 1 additional Guile face present.

Lucky Coin - Lucky; You may play 2 Luck Cards instead of 1 to modify a Slots Roll.

Lucky Rabbit’s Foot - Lucky; You may treat 1 Luck Card on your Character Board as Ongoing.

Boots of Evasion - Enemy attacks against you are at +1 TN.

Boots of Speed: +1 MP

Boots of the Sea: May move through, but not end your movement, on spaces representing water.

Boots of the Seaman: Ignore the effects of the Rough Water Trap

Consumables:

Fish Guts: May move through minions this Hero Cycle, must end in movement in open square. Discard after use.

Trusty Rope: Consumable: Action: Discard to add Lasso or Net to your inventory. Discard after use.

Lasso: Action: Target within 2 squares is knocked prone. Discard after use.

Grappling Hook: Action: Target within 3 squares is move towards you up to 2 squares towards you. Discard after use.

Net: Action: Target within 2 squares cannot move more than 2 squares away from you. You cannot move more than 2 squares way from target. Does not work on Bosses or Mini-Bosses. Discard after use.

thesigma

• Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »
Achievements

These likely all need some real work and a lot of play testing (all the number I picked are totally arbitrary), but I think they fill the hole of having something to do on each tile well. They are like titles but get stronger as you progress. I need help making a lot of these.

Hardened Warrior
Unlock: Take a total of 15 damage this act.
Benefit: You have +1 Vitality.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Take a total of 30 points of damage during a story.
Benefit: Every time a tile is cleared, heal 1 vitality.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Take a total of 100 Damage during an Arc or Myth.
Benefit: You may ignore the first point of damage you take each Darkness Cycle.

Trapper
Unlock: Successfully pass 3 non-combat actions to disarm traps this act.
Benefit: When you play a card that adds at least 1d10 to your disarm attempt, add an additional 1d10 to that attempt.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Successfully pass 9 non-combat actions to disarm traps this story.
Benefit: You have -1 TN to disarm all traps.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Successfully pass 20 non-combat actions to disarm traps during an Arc or Myth.
Benefit: You may take a non-combat action to disarm a trap for 0 MP once a Hero Cycle.

Potion Drinker
Unlock: Use 2 Potions this Act.
Benefit: Focus Potions add 4 FD instead of 3 FD when you use them.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Use 7 Potions this story.
Benefit: Vitality Potions heal an additional point of Vitality when you use them.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Use 15 Potions during an Arc or Myth.
Benefit: Lucky Potions allow you to have 1 additional hand size when you use them and Shadow Potions reduce your threat by 4 when you use them.

Built Up Resistance
Unlock: Gain the Poison status effect 2 times this act.
Benefit: Ignore the damage taken in the first refresh phase after gaining the Poison status effect.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Gain the Poison status effect 5 times this story.
Benefit: Automatically remove the Poison status effect after taking damage from it thrice.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Gain the Poison status effect 10 times during an Arc or Myth.
Benefit: You can no longer gain the Poison status effect.

Escape Artist
Unlock: Remove the Captured status 2 times this act.
Benefit: Removing the Captured status requires discarding one fewer card.

Quick Stand
Unlock: Stand up from Prone 3 times this act.
Benefit: You may stand up from prone by instead playing a card from your hand face down on your Hero Board that both takes up a space on the board and counts as your action for the turn.

Real Pirate:
Unlock: Kill 25 monsters with the Aquatic subtype this act.
Benefit: All attacks vs monsters with the Aquatic subtype are at -1 TN.
Tier 2:
Unlock: Kill a total of 100 monsters with the Aquatic subtype during a story.
Benefit: All attacks from monsters with the Aquatic subtype are at + 1 TN against you.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Kill a total of 300 monsters with the Aquatic subtype during an Arc or Myth.
Benefit: All attacks vs monsters with the Aquatic subtype are at an additional -1 TN and Non-Boss monsters with the Aquatic subtype will only target you if there are no other available targets.

Shadow Dancer
Unlock: Failed to be Noticed 4 Darkness Cycles by adjacent enemies this act.
Benefit: +1 to Notice
Tier 2:
Unlock: Failed to be Noticed 15 Darkness Cycles by adjacent enemies this story.
Benefit: Once per play session, a monster that would notice you instead fails to notice you.
Tier 3:
Unlock: Failed to be Noticed 40 Darkness Cycles by adjacent enemies during an Arc or Myth.
Benefit: Normal Movement no longer breaks Shadows.

Intourette

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
I would like to help out but to get a wider audience you should post that on boardgamegeek, too. Looks very good though.